Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Painting heat sinks?

GBD

Hey Jake,
Do they make matte black paint from the same brand of your can? If so what is the company's name?
Thanks.

I want to paint the host im gonna make matte black, the heat wont really matter, the head is 2.5" X 3" of finned aluminum. (and a lower powered laser).

jakeGT

I don't recall if they do, the company is rustoleum, and it's in the automotive department at wally world, and is just called black gloss enamel

GBD

Ah rustoleum. they are a good company.. how the hell did I miss the fact that they had matte black is beyond me.

Okay, thank you.

jakeGT

really easy, pulled the diode module/driver out, tape off the rest, and take one pass at the face of the HS with the spray can, dry, and boom, done.

Except for my saik, where the two drivers, I thermally adhered to the other side of the heatsink.... put a plastic bag around them and taped it off, haha

Benm

I would recommend against painting heatsinks performacewise in virtually all cases.

If you must paint your heatsink, choose a paint that is aslo black in the far infrared range. Something intened for heating radiators should be pretty good.

The color doesnt matter much though, you might just as well paint it with optically white radiator paint - the key is the IR albedo of the paint, not its visual performance.

You could have just panted the front.:whistle:

Witch is the only part that is exposed then you would still have good contact with the host.

jakeGT

that's exactly what I did, no need to paint the rest of them, I taped off the rest of the sinks and just painted the front
was really easy and quick, and now, just like all things I love, like my car, I have black on black lasers too!

:gj: Yes i also like my black out Red Cree C3 but Never thought of Painting the Heatsink Black to have it completely black.:)

All you need is some acetone to clean any grease or oil from the part and then get a spray can of KRYLON flat black and go for it.
Here's what you can expect.
from this
1z6e8p.jpg

to this
wksk95.jpg

from this
2rxf8js.jpg

to this
1238x13.jpg

Peace All...