Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Our hobby is condened

GatoX

Today I have seen the reality about the laser world. In a trip with my classmates, a really stupid guy trying to call attention had pointed at 3 feets to a friend of mine in the face while he wasn't looking, 3cm under the eye, with a chinese green pointer (20mw of ir + 10mw of green I estimate). I'm really sad, this things makes me to think, what if he pointed in the eye? Blind friend! Why're the people so stupid? The laser world is really great, but thinks in these things scare me a lot. We need solutions for make people to understand the danger of laser

Today I have seen the reality about the laser world. In a trip with my classmates, a really stupid guy trying to call attention had pointed at 3 feets to a friend of mine in the face while he wasn't looking, 3cm under the eye, with a chinese green pointer (20mw of ir + 10mw of green I estimate). I'm really sad, this things makes me to think, what if he pointed in the eye? Blind friend! Why're the people so stupid? The laser world is really great, but thinks in these things scare me a lot. We need solutions for make people to understand the danger of laser

Yes and the danger of cars, and cigarettes, and ect.....

I have seen dead children after a car wreck, no I was not involved.
I have seen the top of a mans head fall off after a car accident, again I was not involved.
I don't drink or ride fast motorcycles anymore because I know my limits and I do not want to hurt anyone.
Individual responsibility is what's missing. Everything is always somebody else's fault and it's killing our country and our freedom.
Stop blaming the hammer and blame the a-hole who is swinging it.
If you can't safely operate a hammer then don't pick one up, and when someone hurts another with a hammer they lock up the person, not the hammer.
A laser is no different, it's a tool, and any tool is dangerous when it's wielded by a fool.

Last edited:
This bothers me very much as well. I see people using lasers very dangerously at music festivals and have had to tell people how foolish and harmful their actions are. lasers have no place in public places unless you are trained to do so.

Hi,
That is terrible, what if is the question here. He needs an adjustment in a dark ally with a sock full of quarters.

Rich..:)

Reactions: GSS

Machro

moralfag
the only way to prevent such cases is to prohibit the sale of lasers at all or to make them only accessible to a small amout of people and that wouldnt be good either
there are much more dangerous thing out there
there will always be people who dont care about laser harzads so just let them blind each other lol

moralfag
the only way to prevent such cases is to prohibit the sale of lasers at all or to make them only accessible to a small amout of people and that wouldnt be good either
there are much more dangerous thing out there
there will always be people who dont care about laser harzads so just let them blind each other lol
Ok let's make Butcher's knives, chain saws, hedge clippers, anything with a sharp point or blade only to licensed operators. Ok that goes for things that could be used as a club.
All must be packaged with the caption...Brain must be engaged before putting into use....and not intended to be wielded as a weapon.

Pman

Did you mean condemned?

There is no cure for stupid;)

Last edited:

Gabe

What's that about our hobby and condoms?

Pete, would the cure for stupid not be education? Or is that more so a cure for a lack of knowledge?

Sta

I see people so often, both on the internet and in real life, doing dumb things with lasers. They are ruining it for the rest of us!

Benm

Often the cause is lack of knowledge rather than ill intent.

One thing that fairly often happens is that laser pointers are actually mislabeled as "<1 mW" units despite putting out something like 10 mW of green (depending on temperature) as well as a bunch of not very well collimated IR.

If the user believes the label, pointing it at someone would be impolite, but not actually that dangerous, IF that label were correct.

Another thing is that people may presume that something like a $5, 2-AAA powered laser pointer cannot possibly have enough power to cause permanent eye damage before you can blink.

Here, we all know that it's perfectly feasible to get a mis-labeled laser pointer that puts out enough power (perhaps at a certain temperature and such) to damage vision, for a few dollars.

Keep in mind that the general public does not, and will not expect this either. People are used to cheap import stuff to be -below- spec, such as a battery labeled 3000 mAh actually being 1800 mAh if its $3 shipped from china. They will not expect a '<1 mW' specced article to be >20 mW ever.

GatoX

Did you mean condemned?

There is no cure for stupid;)
Yes, I mean condemned, sorry for my english, I still learning it :yabbem:

There's a tiny line between awareness people with cause fear and rejection, this's complicating the way to give a good education about laser. I mean, imagine a global video emitted to all people warning and explaining that a simple green laser from about 6$ can blind you forever. The reaction from people will be censoring it.

You say: Therer'e a lot of objects that in bad hands could blind you an kill you but the problem resides in the reaction of the people, they will not understand it, it's a unknown world for they and they will pay attention what the trusting people say and as usual, the conversative people is who have the floor

I can imagine easily how the mass media can make a taboo from the laser.

It's all so hard

Last edited: