Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Ouch! That burns!!!

If the skin is not broken by the burn the best thing I have
used is common yellow mustard applied immediately after
the burn. (I can hear you giggling)
No BS...I'm serious...

I used to do a lot of field work in tight on-site control panels
and have always carried small packets of Mustard in my tool
box just for those inevitable finger burn occasions.

Don't ask me how it works.... it just does...
It seems to cool the area and relieves most of the pain almost
immediately. I have also noticed a lot less blister formation.

I've been using this trick since I was 19 when my European
girlfriend's mother put some mustard on a flash burn I receive
when a screwdriver shorted out in a live electrical socket...
(don't ask I had a screwdriver in a live socket..:yabbem:)

The only down side id that you need to be careful not to smear
the mustard covered finger on anything while it dries..

Yeah... I also find 480 C a bit too high for Electronic Soldering
using standard 37/63 solder...

Here are some temp ranges of some different types of solder...

Solder - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jerry

Last edited:

Damn, are you guys really this bored?

Making a thread about a solder burn, then 33 lengthy posts about it? Its a little burn, LOL. If you dont know how to treat a burn you shouldn't have kids. Or better yet try Google.

Wow, you guys need to find some more hobbies. :crackup:

:drool::crackup::crackup: yeah you got me - I am pretty bored out of my skull today :D

Making a thread about a solder burn, then 33 lengthy posts about it? Its a little burn, LOL. If you dont know how to treat a burn you shouldn't have kids. Or better yet try Google.

May your life be filled with solder burns.......:eg:
:crackup::crackup::crackup:

Jerry

You really let the iron go to 480 degrees Celsius ? I think the temperature is too high for soldering electronic stuff. I let my iron set at 300-350 degrees. Pre-tin the iron is the key-word. And you get that nice and shinny tin on the components instead of dull looking tin.

I normally set it at 350C but I was desoldering a mohgasm driver from a C6 host to use in a different pill and I think Moh uses solid aluminum or something! Holy Gosh I wasn't able to melt that stuff for anything!

I probably need to check my tip too, although it was melting my 60/40 just fine, so I think it was Moh's solder!

I knew what I did, but I just wanted to see if any of you had any tips that worked better.

I ended up on ice for a while (by "on ice" I mean an ice cube wrapped with a paper towel) which worked great until each cube melted.

Then I took one of those finger rubber things and filled the tip with burn gel (lidocaine HCL 2.5%) and put that on the finger when I went to bed.

That worked pretty well actually.

I woke up this morning and it wasn't hurting and I was able to do a prostate self-check in the shower as well!

;)

Last edited:
May your life be filled with solder burns.......:eg:
:crackup::crackup::crackup:

Jerry

Try burning yourself with a welding rod. Or having tons of red hot slag roll down the inside of your shirt, and you cant stop because you're in the middle of a weld. :p

I'd welcome a solder burn anytime. :whistle:

Try burning yourself with a welding rod. Or having tons of red hot slag roll down the inside of your shirt, and you cant stop because you're in the middle of a weld. :p

Yup, got some nasty burns on my arms from welding over head on Monday. The burns I hate are the ones that go down your chest and stomach and get stuck where your shirt is tucked into your pants. I had some slag burn thru my pants and dropped into my crotch and when I stood up it burned a trail down my leg and I caught it before it dropped into my boot.
Soldering burn over that anytime.

Well, I have definitely been one-upped here!

Two internets to each of you gentlemen.

:D

Had a molten oxy-acetylene welding rod go into my chest once during metals. I kept going thinking it didn't actually pierce the skin, but just a mild burn from a stove or something. I looked at it in the mirror, yep, a good half an inch of cauterized skin into my chest. That was fun to explain. :whistle:

Slag gets on your skin and sticks, then it rolls taking skin with it. So you have little trails of scars. Its more of a PITA pain.

You have to watch where you step too. If you're torching a piece of steel and you step on the piece you just cut, it can set your boot on fire almost instantly. I've burned up a few pairs of boots.

I cant tell you how many times I was almost seriously injured. I came close to dying a few times too. Open frame buildings, and snow dont mix. Its kind of ironic I got hurt just picking something up.

No one is upping anyone, LOL.

Just making fun of your solder burn. :na:

Well I just want to be clear, I didn't come whining about it - I was just looking for the best way to handle it from a crowd that I figured had been there/done that and might have some good tips.

I saved the whining for my wife. :D

Blisters are nature's portable juice boxes. Rip one open if you're thirsty or Fido needs something to drink.

Nah, I'm playin. I think I hate the smell worse than the burn feel.

I swear it's not BS. I don't recommend this, but after I started noticing that I don't feel it, I started pressing the iron on my fingers and palm; the tip of the iron, and even the shaft, nothing. If I repeat it in the same spots, it hurts a little, but not much. By the end of this experiment to test if I did feel it, I had many yellow marks all over both hands and fingers of melted/burnt skin. I have many times burned the tip of my index finger or thumb without having any idea until I could smell it. You don't have to believe me, but I promise you it's true :/

Did you ever get checked for nerve damage ?