Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Osram PL530 - Tiny 530nm OPSL

These have an extraordinarily good coherence length. They are great for holography. Especially if you are using a 632.8nm HeNe and a 488nm argon and need a green to make full color.

Nice thread, I've not been back to the forum to look around for months until tonight, finding this unit for sale on ebay and google searching for more information lead me to this thread. Good work.

Thanks Paul, I'm probably not going to be active for awhile, very busy. I'm in Karachi Pakistan right now, have been here two weeks and another week to go. Then going to try to fly to Boston and talk to the folk there offering me a job as an RF engineer slash laser technician :) - I accepted the job offer (withholding who with right now) but won't actually start for more than a month.

This unit brought me back to the forum to see what is being discussed about it, I ordered a few today to play with. I love the low divergence and tiny diameter beam, as well as the beautiful beam characteristics, a nice rounded spot, instead of a rectangle like we get with our single mode laser diodes. The narrow bandwidth is awesome too, all+++++ to me.

I found an old thread on this unit on another forum: https://photonlexicon.com/forums/sh...000-module?s=d2e8dd29e6ebf1d009015d7038023f26 but the guy who started the thread thought it was made by Corning, someone straitened him out further in the thread.

Long time no C Chris, yes those are neat little units used in the pico projectors and I hope we see the RGB up for sale soon.

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Sorry to derail the thread, but it's nice hearing from you again, Chris! :)

Thanks guys,

It is nice to be back here with friends. Diachi, I didn't completely explain myself regarding why I'm saying they can produce such low divergence, left out the rest of the story: It is the potential for uber low divergence with a relatively small collimation lens I'm excited about, expanding that one tenth of a millimeter beam diameter output with as low as 4 mRad divergence to only 1 inch, I will be able to have a pointer with far lower divergence than anything I've worked with to date with that diameter of a collimation lens.

The units I ordered already have an expander lens attached to them, did yours have that? If it did, would be nice to see a picture of what you initially received. I ordered quite a few of these, hoping some approach the low end of their possible initial divergence, but even if towards the higher end of 8 mRad, starting out with that small of a beam diameter can produce uber low divergence with a relatively small diameter collimation lens, I've been needing to use lenses which are several inches in diameter to do the same thing in the past.

Example: 20x expansion of the worst case 8 mRad output to a diameter of only 2 millimeters might be able to produce less than .5 mRad divergence, that's incredible. Using just a standard 6 mm diameter collimation lens, after expansion you can probably achieve under .25 mRad and only use 2/3 of the lens aperture.

Even if the unexpanded output diameter is three times wider at .3 mm, I would be happy to work with it. Diachi, I guess you measured that much? The specs say it should be smaller:

Last edited:
Thanks guys,

It is nice to be back here with friends. Diachi, I didn't completely explain myself regarding why I'm saying they can produce such low divergence, left out the rest of the story: It is the potential for uber low divergence with a relatively small collimation lens I'm excited about, expanding that one tenth of a millimeter beam diameter output with as low as 4 mRad divergence to only 1 inch, I will be able to have a pointer with far lower divergence than anything I've worked with to date with that diameter of a collimation lens.

The units I ordered already have an expander lens attached to them, did yours have that? If it did, would be nice to see a picture of what you initially received. I ordered quite a few of these, hoping some approach the low end of their possible initial divergence, but even if towards the higher end of 8 mRad, starting out with that small of a beam diameter can produce uber low divergence with a relatively small diameter collimation lens, I've been needing to use lenses which are several inches in diameter to do the same thing in the past.

Example: 20x expansion to a diameter of only 2 millimeters might be able to produce less than .5 mRad divergence, that's incredible. Using just a standard 6 mm diameter collimation lens, after expansion you can probably achieve under .25 mRad and only use 2/3 of the lens aperture.
Glad to see you back here, it was great

Thanks Trinh, still haven't put together the hosts I bought from you for the dual 450 nm pointer, has anyone?

Back on topic: I bought a pack of these little units today, should have them in a week to ten days.

Where are you getting them shipped to? If you get stuff in Pakistan in a week to ten days that is amazing. Are you still keeping a home in Alaska? This seems to be the wrong time of the year to be there.

Encap

Nice thread, I've not been back to the forum to look around for months until tonight, finding this unit for sale on ebay and google searching for more information lead me to this thread. Good work.

Nice to see a new post from you!!
Everyone has missed your varied and many interesting posts habits.

Hope all is well.

Last edited:
Thanks Trinh, still haven't put together the hosts I bought from you for the dual 450 nm pointer, has anyone?

Back on topic: I bought a pack of these little units today, should have them in a week to ten days.

I never received or purchased any dual hosts from Trin but I have done a triple corrected/converged setup and I have enough parts to do two double 44 combined builds except for the wave plates, I still don't have any wave plates and if I was going to add a beam expander to a double converged 44 build I would need to use Sanwu G2's which I recently tested one of and was surprised to find was not letting the power through like the DTR G2, unless I got a G7 in my G2 bin, so I was thinking about a double 7a75 with 4X correction so I could use DTR G2's and still fit the beam through the 3XBE but I have lost interest lately, I did buy a Melles Griot 6X beam expander made for diode lasers hoping to use it with 6X corrected 44 builds and the input and output lens dia. are well within size for the task but the AR coating is only letting half of my power through, beam and tight spot look great but half the power is missing, I checked with another smaller blue laser and same thing, so I am thinking I will do an IR or C02 build for my next burning fun as my triple converged is just as much fun anyway, still might go nuts and converge a bunch but not right now, lately I am lacking enthusiasm so maybe later.

----EDIT----

Excuse me for heading off topic, that little 530 sure is neat, if I didn't have a bunch of greens I would get some, however even though the 1w 520/525's make a bar rather than a spot far field with a 3X beam expander they paint a really bright spot on the most distant trees on the horizon and in daylight, yes a smaller tighter 1/10 the total power spot might be brighter per square mm, but sometimes quantity has a quality of it's own. :)

Last edited:
I'm thinking it would be cool to build a pointer which can use a high power 1W+ multimode 520 nm diode and a low power PB530 in one host. I suppose a PBS cube is the only way to go for two green laser sources that close together in wavelength using one main collimation output lens. I can think of a couple of ways to do that to partially collimate one device and adjust so they collimate into the final output optic the rest of the way together to infinity focus, but I already have too many projects, probably should just build a host for the PB530 alone and call it good.

Thanks Encap, took a lot of joy out of me to leave the laser hobby behind for awhile.

RCB, I'm weary of derailing the thread further on this subject, so will take this to either PM or another thread later, but I will add this one last remark regarding the dual 450. I was expecting Trinh to sell some copies of the dual hosts he made for me here on LPF, surprised that didn't happen. I have all of the parts to build two, just been too busy lately to finish one.

Edit add:
Where are you getting them shipped to? If you get stuff in Pakistan in a week to ten days that is amazing. Are you still keeping a home in Alaska? This seems to be the wrong time of the year to be there.

Paul, I'm only in Pakistan for a joint military exercise, been here since the 18th, leaving in a few days back to Doha. I will have the PL530's mailed to my address in Doha, Qatar which might not be for more than a month longer due to the job offer in Mass. I still have an apartment in Alaska one of my daughters is staying in, I need to go back and pack that stuff to stop paying rent there, I finished the apartment in Ukraine to retire to, wife is there now.

Last edited:
Oh, I didn't know you were planning on retiring to the Ukraine. The only thing that would bother me about that is medical attention as we get older. I have seen so many people get curable diseases that don't get treated and they died too soon. IDK. Maybe, it's just as good there.