Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Optotronics RPL - Is the warranty worth it?

Optotronics gives the option of reducing the cost by 7% if you opt out of the standard 12 month warranty in favor of a 90 day warranty.  I'm looking at the RPL-165 or RPL-200. Do you think I should waive the warranty for an additional 7% off?  I am very meticulous when it comes to expensive "toys".  I suspect it will probably only be used a couple times a week for 10-15 minutes or so. And it will be handled very gingerly. Considering the thing looks like it is built like a tank I figure if something is going to go wrong with it, it will in the first 90 days. Of course I know it is a gamble... Anything past 90 days will be out of pocket.

I'm a college student trying to save a few bucks. BUT,  I've always wanted one of these and can't wait much longer!!!

I just thought I might here from some Optotronics RPL customers that could tell me about their experience.

BTW, I've been reading the threads for quite some time. This is my first post, but not my last.  I plan to put together a review (with lots of pics) after I get my RPL.  It seems like there is a need for a review and pics of the "lower-end" Optotronics RPL line.  I've been looking for some pics of the newer body style but couldn't find any except the ones on the Opto website:

Attachments

• new-rpl-style.jpg
    new-rpl-style.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 139

One of the best things about the RPL is the much longer warranty than most lasers. Keep the warranty I'd say :)

Things

Not saying the RPL's are bad, but 7% isnt much off, and if the laser dies after 90 days then its gonna cost alot more to get it fixed ...

if you think 7% is a big saving for you then go for it! these lasers are built pure quality right through out.
if your careful when using it, you will never have a problem it, i never had a single problem with any of my RPL's.

they are great units but an investment also at least get the one year warranty ;D you never know

darklandz said:
if you think 7% is a big saving for you then go for it! these lasers are built pure quality right through out.
if your careful when using it, you will never have a problem it, i never had a single problem with any of my RPL's.

Thanks for the responses guys. 7% isn't a big savings but the $50 savings is a pair of safetly goggles ;)

Either way I go, it's nice to hear from some RPL owners that they are still making a quality product.

Can you use the 7% discount with the LPF member 7.5% discount? Either way I would just go with the 90 day warranty because if the laser is going to die early, it will most likely die well before the 90 day warranty is up.

styropyro said:
Can you use the 7% discount with the LPF member 7.5% discount? Either way I would just go with the 90 day warranty because if the laser is going to die early, it will most likely die well before the 90 day warranty is up.

:( I just got an message from Jack. He says he no longer offers a discount to LPF members. He also does not offer any of the free lasers (i.e. free 30mW for ordering an RPL-225 or greater) as he was just a few months ago. The only thing he offers is 7% off for the 90 day warranty. Bummer! I considered splurging for the RPL-225. I think I'm going to put that idea on the back burner for now. :-/

I'll have to make due with the Blu-Ray that I purchased and is en route from daguin!

Ace82

stealle said:
[quote author=styropyro link=1222571433/0#9 date=1222653122]Can you use the 7% discount with the LPF member 7.5% discount? Either way I would just go with the 90 day warranty because if the laser is going to die early, it will most likely die well before the 90 day warranty is up.

:( I just got an message from Jack. He says he no longer offers a discount to LPF members. He also does not offer any of the free lasers (i.e. free 30mW for ordering an RPL-225 or greater) as he was just a few months ago.  The only thing he offers is 7% off for the 90 day warranty.  Bummer! I considered splurging for the RPL-225.  I think I'm going to put that idea on the back burner for now. :-/

I'll have to make due with the Blu-Ray that I purchased and is en route from daguin![/quote]

You will be very pleased with the blu-ray.
Optotronics are very DECENT lasers, but like everything else, there's always the possability that it could fail. What ever you do, DO NOT VOID THE 1 YEAR WARRANTEE!!! Because, you know what will happen right? It will break the day after it's expired. It's not worth it. AND... get at least a 225, because it's more power for the buck.

Razako

stealle said:
[quote author=styropyro link=1222571433/0#9 date=1222653122]Can you use the 7% discount with the LPF member 7.5% discount? Either way I would just go with the 90 day warranty because if the laser is going to die early, it will most likely die well before the 90 day warranty is up.

:( I just got an message from Jack. He says he no longer offers a discount to LPF members. He also does not offer any of the free lasers (i.e. free 30mW for ordering an RPL-225 or greater) as he was just a few months ago. The only thing he offers is 7% off for the 90 day warranty. Bummer! I considered splurging for the RPL-225. I think I'm going to put that idea on the back burner for now. :-/

I'll have to make due with the Blu-Ray that I purchased and is en route from daguin![/quote]
I wonder why he no longer offers the discount. Hard times or something? Imo you should be fine with a 90 day warranty. Generally if something goes wrong with dpss lasers it will go in the first couple hours of use. Just give the laser a good burn in after you get it to make sure it's reliable. Leave it running on power level 1 for hours at a time if you want.