Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Optotronics problem(fixed)

Hello folks,

Just wanted to let you all know of my recently purchased 4.99mW "Premium Green Laser" from Optotronics for $29.99. First word is premium my f**king ass! Upon receiving the laser it was packaged fine and even got a power output of 6mW as rated from them but upon turning it on with fresh AAA's the dot is dimmer then what I can see. Like wtf? My 405nm 14mW easily outshines it. I have attached some pictures below so you can see for yourself what I got for my $29.99! I'll be returning this and getting a 532nm pen from a quality seller thank you very much. Do they even check this shit before sending it out?

Edit: With my PC camera there seems to be a ton of IR leakage as well. So I got misaligned DPSS unit wow.

90218580a20935f6a35e5d335629da0b77e76170a4370f7389d18a458150c57d159b795d.jpg

8615127493362847b95c145405ab665ebd24266fde59aa8b6bbfbf2478a6e4f120572cfc.jpg

-Alex :mad:

Last edited:

Encap

Re: Completely unacceptable Optotronics!

That is pathetic output --so call or email the Jack the owner and tell him --he buys what he buys as well--am sure he will exchange it for a good one.

Not testing before they leave is bad but maybe it was tested and just got tossed around and damaged in shipping---important thing is to contact Optotronics--they have a good reputation so...

Last edited:

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter

Alex, have you contacted Optotronics about your defective unit?
I'm sure they would exchange it for you.

Last edited:

That is pathetic putput --so call or email the Jack the owner and tell him --he buys what he buys as well--am sure he will exchange it for a good one.

Not testing before they leave is bad but maybe it was tested and just got tossed around and damaged in shipping---important thing is to contact Optotronics--they have a good reputation so...

I know, im going to ask for my money back and get a 532 from somewhere else though. Don't want to wait for another unit like this to come back honestly.

Alex, have you contacted Optotronics about your defective unit?
I'm sure they would exchange it for you.

Not yet, will send an email tonight. I didn't even bother using my LPM lol. Im like.... "screw this"......

-Alex

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter

Jack, at Optotronics has always been good to deal with, he is, or at least was at one time, a member here at LPF.

Edit: I think his user name is/was - bootleg2go

Last edited:

Defects happen, it's inevitable, and it sucks when you're the victim. You should definitely be refunded or get an exchange, that's poor quality control on their part.

Jack, at Optotronics has always been good to deal with, he is, or at least was at one time, a member here at LPF.

Edit: I think his user name is/was - bootleg2go

Yes Bowtie, that is Jack's profile. I just sent Optotronics an email asking for a refund. Im sure they'll offer to send me a replacement unit but seeing how this one turned out, I'd rather not risk it. :)

-Alex

I don't blame you, Alex. If I get a bad item after waiting for it to come in the mail, I am never happy and almost always ask for a refund rather than a second try. It should have been inspected better and/or packaged better.

Hi Alex/Hap,
Just got and replied to your email.
When 5mw pointers are ordered, they are as close to 5mw as possible because many of my customers require them to be very close. to the rated power or they actually complain.
When this one is returned a more powerful unit of ~10mw will be sent. I test each unit with a fieldmaster GS using a 3W thermal head which is calibrated each year to NIST standards which is not cheap, but required by my clients. The beam does look dim compared to the 14mw 405nm, but who is to say how accurate that 14mw may be. There are no refunds as stated in the sales policy and as long as voltage was not exceeded or it was dropped there will be no problem. Also if the parameters were not exceeded, I will include some diffraction gratings for your trouble as well as a unit closer if not 10mw. I'm not sure what happened as things can sometimes get shaken up in shipping and it was fine when I tested it before packaging it up the morning it was shipped to you.

I am sorry it arrived this way, somethings are not in my control, like I said it tested fine when packaged and shipped...sometimes, but not very often components have issues early on (infant mortality) and these are not tested for many hours like our systems. I've been in business and a member of the forum for over 10 years (and wouldn't stay in business if I didn't provide a good procduct and service), but not much posting the past years as I've gotten more busy with laser system sales to universities.
ps. I do like you quote from Marley and Carl Sagan:)

Thanks
Jack

Last edited:

Encap

Sounds like something happened in shipping to cause the alignment to change. Was pretty sure it has been tested because eveyone reports a data sheet stating output comes with an Optotronics unit.

Hap did you get a data sheet stating output with yours?
Did you LPM it to see what the output is?
That large area of IR that your camera picked up seems to scream alignment of crystal out of wack for whatever reasons--probably shipping shock.

If you only want a true 5mW you better let Jack know.

Last edited:
Reactions: GSS

Sound like something happened in shipping to cause the alignment to change --was pretty sure it has been tested because eveyone reports a data sheet stateing output come with an Optotronics unit.

Hap did you get a data sheet with yours? Did you LPM it to see what the output is? THe large area of IR seems to scream alligment of crystal out of wack for whatever reasons--probably shipping shock.

If you only want a true 5mW you better let Jack know.

Exactly, I do feel bad as I pride myself on what I send out and his replacement will be as bright as that 14mw blue. High IR can mean damage in shipping that can even be caused by excessive vibration, but this kind of failure is pretty rare.
More often it's a battery issue as even I have put in brand new alkaline batteries and gotten very low or no output only to find that one of those new energizers is nearly dead and this has happened more than a handful of times.
Thanks
Jack

Exactly, I do feel bad as I pride myself on what I send out and his replacement will be as bright as that 14mw blue. High IR can mean damage in shipping that can even be caused by excessive vibration, but this kind of failure is pretty rare.
More often it's a battery issue as even I have put in brand new alkaline batteries and gotten very low or no output only to find that one of those new energizers is nearly dead and this has happened more than a handful of times.
Thanks
Jack

Hello Jack,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly! I really appreciate what you are offering and will reply to your eMail accordingly. Sorry about my frustration :)

-Alex

Radim

Hi Alex/Hap,
Just got and replied to your email.
When 5mw pointers are ordered, they are as close to 5mw as possible because many of my customers require them to be very close. to the rated power or they actually complain.
When this one is returned a more powerful unit of ~10mw will be sent. I test each unit with a fieldmaster GS using a 3W thermal head which is calibrated each year to NIST standards which is not cheap, but required by my clients. The beam does look dim compared to the 14mw 405nm, but who is to say how accurate that 14mw may be. There are no refunds as stated in the sales policy and as long as voltage was not exceeded or it was dropped there will be no problem. Also if the parameters were not exceeded, I will include some diffraction gratings for your trouble as well as a unit closer if not 10mw. I'm not sure what happened as things can sometimes get shaken up in shipping and it was fine when I tested it before packaging it up the morning it was shipped to you.

I am sorry it arrived this way, somethings are not in my control, like I said it tested fine when packaged and shipped...sometimes, but not very often components have issues early on (infant mortality) and these are not tested for many hours like our systems. I've been in business and a member of the forum for over 10 years (and wouldn't stay in business if I didn't provide a good procduct and service), but not much posting the past years as I've gotten more busy with laser system sales to universities.
ps. I do like you quote from Marley and Carl Sagan:)

Thanks
Jack

Well, that was very fast reaction, Jack. Rep+
And please do not forget I'm still interested in your new RPL-II 532 nm 1.4+ W, so get back to me as soon as the geese are flown away, please. Thanks. ;)

BTW: I also like these quotes Alex has in the signature. Both those people are ideals for me and have given me a lot. I especially love that Sagan's quote as I use it quite often during discussions about the universe and stuff.

Last edited:
Reactions: GSS

Well, that was very fast reaction, Jack. Rep+
And please do not forget I'm still interested in your new RPL-II 532 nm 1.4+ W, so get back to me as soon as the geese are flown away, please. ;)

BTW: I also like these quotes Alex has in the signature. Both those people are ideals for me and have given me a lot. I especially love that Sagan's quote as I use it quite often during discussions about about the universe and stuff.

Thanks guys, I like them too :crackup:

-Alex

GSS

Hap, I don't know if I should say this:whistle: but I called Optotronic's when I first joined with some question's and it was Jack who picked up the phone. My stupid question's and all, he did give me all the time needed over just a $110 unit:)
I just had to wait for West Coast time...

Last edited:

I know, im going to ask for my money back and get a 532 from somewhere else though. Don't want to wait for another unit like this to come back honestly.

Not yet, will send an email tonight. I didn't even bother using my LPM lol. Im like.... "screw this"......

-Alex
You have every right to feel the way you feel and I'm not ever going to say it's right or wrong because who am I to judge But If you try to think about it from their point of view I'm willing to bet you would at least like one opportunity to make it right for a customer, Yes, No ?

EDIT - Opps when I made this I hadn't read every post yet, My bad.......

Last edited: