Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

opinion on this scienctech

So, what do you guys think? I have been looking for one of these for a while and this is the best price and decent appearing condition one so far. It needs a thermopile which I also found one.

These things are never tested. Thats the worrying part but for a combined cost of $240 I could have a LPM that measures up to 30W which may come in handy for my master plan to blow up the moon. J/k obviously but hey...the ability to measure higher power is not a bad problem to have.

I know Radients come out in another month or two and they seem very good. However, I have used a scienctech before and couldn't believe how fast the unit measured. What do you think?

LPM- Scientech 365 Power and Energy Meter 36 5002T2 | eBay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OPHIR-17040...041?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d261d0da9

Last edited:

The power meter looks good and in really nice condition.

However that Ophir looks as though it has seen better days. If that head does work I think you would have a very hard time retrofiting it to work with the Scientech meter.

I would suggest trying to find a head of the same brand, I do believe there are a few on eBay at the moment IIRC.

Scientech has their own sensors for those meters, I am pretty sure an ophir head like that wouldnt work. Like ^ said, I wouldnt get that sensor since its pretty much obliterated

Thanks guys. I found some sensors if you wouldn't mind taking a look. I guess its hard t know with thee because you cant see the condition of the sensor pad its self. They do do a 14 day refund.

Scientech Model 380105 Laser Power Meter Head w NRC VPH 4 Mount | eBay

This second link below seems like its massive. Would either of these different sensors work? They are both Scientech.

Scientech Laser Power Meter Model 360206 | eBay

@ The Greaterwatt- If I buy these maybe I could come over again so we can calibrate it and make sure its all working? And I can drool over your 589nm some more, lol. Thanks buddy!

Thanks guys. I found some sensors if you wouldn't mind taking a look. I guess its hard t know with thee because you cant see the condition of the sensor pad its self. They do do a 14 day refund.

Scientech Model 380105 Laser Power Meter Head w NRC VPH 4 Mount | eBay

This second link below seems like its massive. Would either of these different sensors work? They are both Scientech.

Scientech Laser Power Meter Model 360206 | eBay

here is the 3rd type and the one I believe you had Greaterwatt. You can kind of see the sensor pad in the pic and other than the wierd paint scrathed off it looks like its in good condition.

Scientech Optical Detector Laser Optics Bin 14B | eBay

@ The Greaterwatt- If I buy these maybe I could come over again so we can calibrate it and make sure its all working? And I can drool over your 589nm some more, lol. Thanks buddy!

edited to add- also found this new laserbee 3W for roughly a little more than the scientech and sensor will cost. I am guessing the Scientech is a much more sturdy piece of lab equipment though. yes?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FREE-SHIPPI...809?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item23465ae6d1

Last edited:
this is the one specifically made for the 365 meter (98.21837% sure), not sure if the others will work. I loved my Scientech 365, they are great meters! A bit bulky, but shove em in the corner, stack crap on em and all is well. Very responsive, and if you keep your eyes peeled you can get meter and sensor for <150$.

All of the sensors you have listed "should" work. I only say should because I am unsure of the wavelength response of those sensors and I was unable to find anything on the internets.

I did find one that is the same model number as mine but it looks like it has been through hell. I would ask the seller to get a good pic of the sensor area before you buy it.

Yes the scientech would be a better piece of equipment benefit of the laserbee in this case is that it is tested and known to be working.

It's kind of a hard decision.

But yes if you get a meter you can come over, I really want to make sure my meter is accurate.

Got the Scientech today and I am so far very happy. The sensor looks as if its never been used. Not a mark on it including on the thermopile. Now I just need to know if its calibrated or if i have to send it to a member to have it done.
Anyways just wanted to update and say thank you to everyone that helped me out with their advice. I'm a very happy man with a 30W LPM.
photo27_zpsad1804df.jpg

photo137_zpscdee9b59.jpg

were did you get and and if you dont mind me asking how much?

were did you get and and if you dont mind me asking how much?

I've been watching ebay for about 6 weeks to find one in good shape and a fair price. The units range greatly. There are usually 3-5 of them ranging between $125-$650 but almost never with a sensor. the sensors seem to be more costly. Right now there is a seller that has about 4 of them and is asking $80 each but I have seen them list for as much as $800. Its a really whacky item as far as pricing is concerned. But to answer your question I paid $89 for the unit and $40 for the sensor. I got incredibly lucky. Well luck and persistence. I checked ebay a few times a week till this one came up.

They are great meters. Does yours sometimes kinds freak out when you turn it on? Mine would occasionally flash random segments for a while when I turned it on. Obviously just a glitch, wondering if it was unique to the one I had or not.

That is a 10W surface absorbing calorimeter
head. Very nice, it will measure down to
10µW. Every head is a little different and
the meter has to be calibrated to it. I
will send you the instruction manual.

They are great meters. Does yours sometimes kinds freak out when you turn it on? Mine would occasionally flash random segments for a while when I turned it on. Obviously just a glitch, wondering if it was unique to the one I had or not.
Yes when i turn it on the numbers fluctuate but i don't have the cables to hook up the sensor yet so I figured this was why.
That is a 10W surface absorbing calorimeter
head. Very nice, it will measure down to
10µW. Every head is a little different and
the meter has to be calibrated to it. I
will send you the instruction manual.

Awesome thank you Lightning Stalker, email sent. so should I try to find someone to ship this to so it can be calibrated?

Ah no, thats normal. Mine would glitch out and flash random individual segments of the display.

Regardless, enjoy your meter! A bit clunky, but very nice. If you take a peak inside, you will find one circuit board and a heckuva lot of empty space- perhaps a custom case is in order? I wanted to do that, but had to sell it instead :/

Ah no, thats normal. Mine would glitch out and flash random individual segments of the display.

Regardless, enjoy your meter! A bit clunky, but very nice. If you take a peak inside, you will find one circuit board and a heckuva lot of empty space- perhaps a custom case is in order? I wanted to do that, but had to sell it instead :/

Thanks brutha man. I'm really stoked I have one. Its funny what some grown men get all giddy about ain't it? lol.

Interesting about the emptiness. I figured as it feels so incredibly lite. Hmmmm.... damn you CS!!!! Now I got my wheels turning about a custom case mod, lol! :eg:

I have been trying to fix that problem on that meter I bought from you. I think it has something to do with a short on the display panel due to excess force applied to it from the top panel, because when I open it up it works just fine. :tinfoil: I mean it's either that or a cap drying up...