Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Open Source LaserBee SDK!

Trevor

Introducing the open source LaserBee SDK!

While it's true I've handed the reins to Ellipis to new management, I wanted to contribute one final tool to developers who wish to work on the LaserBee.

To avoid having any questions raised about legality, the code linked in this thread is cut down to pretty bare bones. This is to ensure that it does not infringe on any territory of the original LaserBee firmware that might be considered a "trade secret," such as the calibration math and nonlinearity adjustment. The aforementioned code contains only common, simple embedded programming to run the most basic functions of a circuit.

I spent today putting it together and here it is - the completed LaserBee SDK!

What does it do?

It provides an interface to each component in the LaserBee system - the buttons, the LCD and backlight, the analog-to-digital converter (ADC), and the serial port. It is a codebase that includes sample code to drive all of the electronics and facilitate development of new firmware for the LaserBee platform.

What doesn't it do?

The LaserBee SDK does not include any of the math that derives a reading in milliwatts from a raw ADC value. That information is available elsewhere on LPF, but it is not included in the SDK.

Usage

You'll need a PIC programmer, the HI-TECH PICC Compiler, and MPLab X. Add the source files to a new MPLab project, and it will compile and flash just fine. I have the CanaKit PIC Programmer, which cost me $70 if my memory serves. Fairly reasonable!

Application Notes

The version linked here only includes the address of the ADC for the LaserBee I; to run a build on a different LaserBee product you will need to determine the I2C address of the ADC.

If you have any trouble getting this set up or running on a LaserBee, please don't hesitate to drop me a PM!

Demo

Fine Print

To save Jerry the trouble of posting it here, here's his disclaimer.

lasersbee said:
Legal Disclaimer

Please be advised that this disclaimer is for Legal reasons and
to be absolutely clear.

J.BAUER Electronics is the sole designer and manufacturer of all
the LaserBee Laser Power Meter products and is the sole owner
of all copyrights and trademarks for the LaserBee™ LPM products
and the EagleEye™ software.

Anyone that implements/uses any unauthorized nor approved nor
tested (by J.BAUER Electronics) 3rd party firmware on any of our
products will unconditionally void any Warranty and/or any present
or future Customer Service for their LaserBee product.

This or any future unauthorized 3rd part mimicking of our Intellectual
Property (IP) and work product is not recognized, recommended
or approved to be used on any LaserBee product ever manufactured
by J.BAUER Electronics.

Jerry Bauer Pres.
J.BAUER Electronics

License

This section is lifted from my OpenLPM thread.

The LaserBee SDK is under the GNU GPLv3. The simple English version of Wikipedia gives a rather nice, concise explanation of what this license means.
There are two main terms to the license. Both apply to giving the program away or selling it.
  • A copy of the source code or written instructions about how to get a copy must be included with the software. If the software is able to be downloaded from the internet, the source code must also be available for downloading.
  • The license of the software cannot be changed or removed. It must always use the GPL.
If the user does not agree to follow the GPL, they can still use the software under copyright laws. They can use it and make copies or changes to it for themselves, but they cannot give it away or sell it. They also cannot change the license.
So, even if you’re giving it away a modified copy of the LaserBee SDK, the recipient must be given the source code or instructions on where to download it – and it also must carry the GPL license.

If you’re selling a product, any recipient of the product must be given the source code, because a compiled binary must always be accompanied by its source code.

Any derivative of the LaserBee SDK must be under GNU GPLv3.

Downloads

Version 1.0 - https://www.dropbox.com/s/ke38qmw0nk05b5j/LaserBeeSDK_1_0.zip?dl=0

Support

If you find this useful, please consider contributing a small amount. It takes time to maintain these projects, and every bit helps.

Conclusion

So, there you have it! Open source software available for the most popular and widespread hobbyist LPM.

Hope someone gets some use out of it! :)

Trevor

Last edited:

Here we go yet another time....:shaking head in disbelief:

You seem to be overly obsessed with our LaserBee products
to a point that would be considered quite unhealthy.

Not only did you shaft the Kenometer Team when you sold
illicit or hacked copies of the Kenometer Pro Firmware to us
when they specifically stated on the Forum that they would
not sell us an upgrade for our Pro but now it seems you are
continuing your crooked adventures by shafting the recent
buyer of your mimicked "ellipsis" source code
by trying
to get legitimate LaserBee LPM Owners to hack into their
functioning LPMs yet once again.

And all that in yet another attempt to ride our LaserBee
LPM train.
Why don't you design something original rather than than
continually trying to riding our coattails...

Your non stop attempts are really starting to look pathetic..:cryyy:

As to your Fine Print... (I can barely read it...)

Legal Disclaimer

Please be advised that this disclaimer is for Legal reasons and
to be absolutely clear.

J.BAUER Electronics is the sole designer and manufacturer of all
the LaserBee Laser Power Meter products and is the sole owner
of all copyrights and trademarks for the LaserBee™ LPM products
and the EagleEye™ software.

Anyone that implements/uses any unauthorized nor approved nor
tested (by J.BAUER Electronics) 3rd party firmware on any of our
products will unconditionally void any Warranty and/or any present
or future Customer Service for their LaserBee product.

This or any future unauthorized 3rd part mimicking of our Intellectual
Property (IP) and work product is not recognized, recommended
or approved to be used on any LaserBee product ever manufactured
by J.BAUER Electronics.

Jerry Bauer Pres.
J.BAUER Electronics

Last edited:

Trevor

Not only did you shaft the Kenometer Team when you sold
illicit or hacked copies of the Kenometer Pro Firmware to me
when they specifically stated on the Forum that they would
not sell me an upgrade for my Pro but now it seems you are
continuing your crooked adventures by shafting the recent
buyer of your mimicked "ellipsis" source code
by trying
to get legitimate LaserBee LPM Owners to hack into their
functioning LPMs yet once again.

Not sure why you think the LumenOS P1 upgrade was 'illicit' or 'hacked,' but when I was selling that I had the full support of the original development team. Similarly, the LaserBee SDK has the support of of the developer that I sold Ellipsis to. Don't worry! :)

Though speaking of Ellipsis, here's the proof you requested in the sale thread: http://laserpointerforums.com/f39/fs-laserbee-i-w-ellipsis-150-a-83506-2.html#post1207121

You never replied... guess you didn't see it. :yh:

As for this...

Why don't you design something original rather than than
continually trying to riding my coattails...

Both Ellipsis and the LaserBee SDK are original products of my own design. As were the Kenometer USB and Pro firmwares, Luminosity, Peregrine, and OpenLPM.

I just like writing code, and I like to do it on as many platforms as I can. :D

Trevor

Last edited:
If you both teamed up I think you could produce some bad ass LPMs. But we all know that will never happen. :)

ped

6a00d83451c49a69e2017eead99cd1970d-800wi

Trevor

If you both teamed up I think you could produce some bad ass LPMs. But we all know that will never happen. :)

History time! :D

I think it was in early 2010, but we did briefly explore the idea of me writing datalogging software for LaserBees. I'd promised exclusivity of Luminosity to the Kenometer project, so I ultimately declined on account of wanting to honor that promise.

In 2012 when I started exploring the idea of developing Peregrine, he "met with his lawyer" over the matter of Windows software "competing" with EagleEye, but upon finding out that my work was completely legal, returned from the meeting and issued a statement in support of the software for Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux.

In 2013 when I actually released the software (and ultimately made it open source), he put out a story about how Peregrine could damage LaserBees and would void the warranty.

How times change, right?

In late May of this year, when I was about to put the Ellipsis source code on the market, I emailed him a couple weeks prior to me posting the thread. I thought it would be polite to give him the right of first refusal - but I never heard back.

So, in summary, while I had to initially decline the opportunity to work together due to ties I already had at the time, I eventually did start working on projects that would benefit LaserBee owners (like Peregrine). When I did, I was met with extreme resistance... to the point of Jerry trying to actively kill my projects by way advertising that he was "talking to a lawyer," the now-famous "legal" disclaimer being posted all over my threads, and claims that Peregrine could damage LaserBees.

Even so, I still wouldn't be opposed to collaboration. I've worked with Kenom on the Kenometers, Radiant Electronics on their products, and ARG on his stuff. That is to say, as far as I know, I've worked with everyone who has needed datalogging software or help in some capacity writing firmware (except Jerry). I like to code, and enjoy the collaborative process that leads to hobbyists having LPM's.

But ped's right - I think Hell would freeze over before Jerry would want to work with me. :p

Trevor

Ahh Jeez guys! ........... it all look a bit .......

Ain't there enough space in the galaxy for both of you ;-)

Last edited:

ped

I couldn't get your YT link working :/

Trevor

Last edited:
Jerry's continued butthurt only stems from his initial grudge for working with his arch nemesis mister Kenom. I have known and faced his flaming as you are all well aware due to my adventures with Radiant Electronics.

Why else would he consistently put forth the effort to lie and belittle your efforts WHICH BENEFIT HIS CUSTOMERS AT NO COST?

Why else would he consistently put forth the effort to lie and belittle your efforts WHICH BENEFIT HIS CUSTOMERS AT NO COST?

Yeah seriously,

Jerry, Trevor is trying to produce even more reasons for people to buy your LPM at literally no cost (investing his own time and resources, at it), and you're putting up barriers to stop him?

Makes no sense.

If I had a product and somebody was using it as a platform to develop more products, I'd hire him.

Reactions: ARG
Every time I see a thread like this, I wonder how many more people are going to buy an ArgMeter instead.

Last edited:
YouTube vid is working now, got a chuckle.

Last edited by a moderator:

Trevor

I can just see their sales and respect plummeting.

It doesn't really even need to be that way - for a prime example, look at the relationship between Canon and Magic Lantern.

Canon doesn't threaten or otherwise bother the ML people, and in exchange they enjoy increased sales and functionality of their cameras at no cost to them.

I guess it's all in your philosophy.

Trevor