Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

OPEN SOURCE: "CC-Boost" - 2.4 Amp boost driver - RC1

guys does any one have a working one set for 500ma that i could buy say for ten us.. I was sent a pp gift card by a old army budy so no actual money from the donation thread would be used. All the ones I find on flea bay are to big or not the right ma I do not want to use a led driver for this ld I got from a old blue ray 12x drive. I put up a add on craigslist and got three drives and one happened to be a 12 x blue ray.. amazing what people will give a way for free... I should have a few more drives showing up soon. I have a old friend that works for a company in ohio that all the old pcs still had drives and he said all were dvd rw 16x drives so I should have ten to twenty 650 didoes when they get here. but I need a driver for the 12x blue ray and I think 350 to 500 ma would be about right

rhd

well, bother. I reflowed another, doing it slightly different as to not overheat the IC- which worked, the IC was barely warm when I was done. However, same story- only output 1.78A@~5.2V, and got extremely hot. Even with the inductor heatsinked, the IC got so hot I burnt myself (again- i should stop doing that, eh?). Not sure what the deal is. Since I have the parts I will probably just make the rest, but then be done with these- maybe I just have bad luck. Or, maybe the IC's are knockoffs- I am not sure where/what seller Rifter (who I bought them from) got them from. I think I will try benboosts next, at least I know 100% certain those work :)
Not trying to imply these don't work, they obviously do- I am just obviously not having any luck with them.

You never did tell us (specifically) what the input power to your drivers was coming from. Can you give us some details?

You never did tell us (specifically) what the input power to your drivers was coming from. Can you give us some details?

A panny 18650. And yes, they are fully charged :p I tried a variety of batteries, all fully charged, all had the same result.

rhd

A panny 18650. And yes, they are fully charged :p I tried a variety of batteries, all fully charged, all had the same result.

Can you send one of the completed boards that has this problem to me? Maybe I can spot the problem and fix it.

I was powering mine from 2 and 3 paralleled
18650s.

guys does any one have a working one set for 500ma that i could buy say for ten us.. I was sent a pp gift card by a old army budy so no actual money from the donation thread would be used. All the ones I find on flea bay are to big or not the right ma I do not want to use a led driver for this ld I got from a old blue ray 12x drive. I put up a add on craigslist and got three drives and one happened to be a 12 x blue ray.. amazing what people will give a way for free... I should have a few more drives showing up soon. I have a old friend that works for a company in ohio that all the old pcs still had drives and he said all were dvd rw 16x drives so I should have ten to twenty 650 didoes when they get here. but I need a driver for the 12x blue ray and I think 350 to 500 ma would be about right

Wow nice score! I think 500mA can be done
using a single 150mΩ sense resistor and an
800Ω Rset + Rtrim, but these boards aren't
exactly tiny. Have they even been tested
at 500mA? You would be better off going
with a Micro Boost.

Can you send one of the completed boards that has this problem to me? Maybe I can spot the problem and fix it.

If you want to shoot me your address I will send one out to you. I have double checked, all the components are where they should be, theres no shorts, solder pads are filled- only thing I can think is I got a bum part.

Last edited:
Try turning the pot all the way to the left or
right and not moving it while the thing is on.
It's a longshot, but that would simulate a
single resistor with the lowest possible gain.

Lighting the problem with micro boost is they are about twenty bucks and that far more than I can spend right now. I may try to do a lm317 driver I know they are good to about a 1amp but that is far more than what i am looking for. This is not going in a regular hand held host but some thing I going to make out of some of the materials I have here at home! As for why because I have no hosts that could be used to make a 200 to 400 mw laser out of. So I going to work on a portable lab style host. I have 18650s batt holders that I got from Keystone electronics as a sample. They will send to designers, students of technology, and engineers for free you can get up to four samples from them. I have ordered from them a couple times for small things like alligator clips, batt holders from AAA to 18650s, they have project enclosures to. I have a really nice on my desk that I want to turn in to a small projector. any way I like this thread a lot and look forward to seeing what come out of RHD's great mind

Try turning the pot all the way to the left or
right and not moving it while the thing is on.
It's a longshot, but that would simulate a
single resistor with the lowest possible gain.

This 2nd driver I put together maxes out at something around 1800mA. Then it heats up, and current output drops. This is without touching the pot

Okay. Then more must be going on here
besides just the pot. If the pot doesn't
move then all it does is act as a fixed
resistance. Unless moving it while it's
running causes a permanent failure inside
the 6298. It's either that or someone is
selling us fake or defective chips.

rhd

Okay. Then more must be going on here
besides just the pot. If the pot doesn't
move then all it does is act as a fixed
resistance. Unless moving it while it's
running causes a permanent failure inside
the 6298. It's either that or someone is
selling us fake or defective chips.

I doubt that. It's not the kind of IC I would expect to see faked.

Address sent. When I receive the driver, I'll see if I can figure out why it didn't work.

Just put another together, and this time the inductor basically caught on fire. Coincidentally so did my thumb.

This whole, "burning myself on a boiling hot driver" thing is getting a little old -_-

Last edited:

IWIRE

Here is one I built using a soldering iron. It's putting out 2.3a @ 5.2v. It had been doing so for about a minute or two while I was trying to get my camera to focus. As you can see, it never did quite focus. :)

The input is 4.1a @ 4v. It's not heat sinked at all it's just sitting on an OSH stencils solder paste spreader. It got fairly warm but far from smoking hot. I have three builds I did for friends running this drive so far no one has said they quit. I know one gets used fairly often. The other two probably collect dust in a drawer.

Guess I better send rhd another donation, I just built another drive :) I'll wait till after the weekend, I'm hoping to use my new toaster oven this weekend. :)
Edit: Usually when I adjust current on a drive I kill the power to it, adjust, then power back on and check. Repeat until I get it set. Don't ask me why I do that. I have no idea.
Since we are trying to figure out what is going wrong, I adjusted this one with it powered on through it's range. It was a nice normal smooth increase and decrease in current, nothing weird happened. I have no idea whats going on with them. Wish I could be of more help but I'm not smart enough about this stuff.

Last edited:
I wish I would have thrown an inductor in for RHD- I wonder if thats my problem for some reason. Especially since one, ya know....caught on fire...I ordered them from mouser, so who knows. I will get some from digikey and try them.

djQUAN

Caught on fire? For that to happen with a boost topology, it looks like your IC may be shorted between pins internally or due to solder bridged between pads.

rhd

I wish I would have thrown an inductor in for RHD- I wonder if thats my problem for some reason. Especially since one, ya know....caught on fire...I ordered them from mouser, so who knows. I will get some from digikey and try them.

No worries, I'm hoping the problem will be apparent when I look at the driver. I've got a lot of inductors sitting around though if I need them.

I may do some reflowing tonight.