Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

OMFG A 6W 445nm module for $23,500!?!?!?!!?

That is alot of power for a 445nm laser (to me) but I thought I would share this discovery with the forum I havent seen anyone on the forum talk about it.

6000mW Blue Laser (445nm, Analogue 100kHz), PSU - eBay (item 390135766478 end time Jun-24-10 04:55:42 PDT)

I thought the person selling this diode for how much it is is out of their mind. 6W?!?!? $25,5000?!?!?!?!? Is he out of his mind?!?!? That is waaaaaaaaaaay too much power for me.

It says on there it takes 5 minutes to warm up. I guess by the time it warms up you'll already have gone to the bathroom or sleep. It also says it stays in a TEM00 like we're dumb and a diode will mode hop.

This laser also has an insane shipping price. 118 USD?!??!?!?!?!!?!?!? OMFG You can buy a 1W 445nm diode on ebay for that much!

That is a professionally built <5% stability lab laser designed for laboratories or scanner usage. It is analogue modulated, meaning you can scale the power to anywhere you wish easily. Many people see that as a good deal, and if I were running a laboratory that needed a 6000mW 445nm laser, I would buy that over a DIY build, not that the DIY build wouldn't be of a good quality, but because that is designed for incredibly long runtimes and for impeccable stability. The shipping is $118 because it's large and heavy, and it's UPS 3 day anywhere in the world, insured for the entire cost of the device. The 5 minute warm-up is a soft start so as to not instantly throw power to the diode(s) and force them instantly to full power, which can be degrading to the diode over time.

Grix

If there is people who are buying it, the price is not too high. TEM00 is not given at all. There is high-tech and expensive optics in there to correct the beam from the diode(s).
118 dollar shipping is also completely reasonable. I paid 150 for shipping on my projector.

Just because you see no use for it, it doesn't mean there is none ;)

If there is people who are buying it, the price is not too high. TEM00 is not given at all. There is high-tech and expensive optics in there to correct the beam from the diode(s).
118 dollar shipping is also completely reasonable. I paid 150 for shipping on my projector.

Just because you see no use for it, it doesn't mean there is none ;)
I've never seen shipping over $40 and that's what shocked me.

jaycey

This has got to be a 445nm DPSS.OPSL No?

Dont think you will find a diode in there.

P.S. + 20% VAT:undecided:

Last edited:
If it were OPSL, it would most likely be 488nm, not 445nm. I don't think there even is a DPSS/OPSL 445nm laser being developed.

This might be 6 of our 445nm diodes and a complicated optical set-up to combine the beams - that would probably be most cost-effective.

Justin

Well for lab use it is really good but for normal use no

The "normal" use for this type of laser is in a laboratory. Laser hobbyists represent a tiny, fractional portion of all lasers sold in the world. When you're looking at lasers sold for actual academic or industrial applications, keep in mind that your normal parameters for performance, price and other features are, in fact, completely bizarre in this industry. On these boards you see mostly hobbyists or professionals who are also personal laser enthusiasts, but you should remember that 99.9% of the lasers produced on the planet are workhorses designed for very specific (often boring) tasks and the people using them really just need them to get the job done. For a university, $23k on a laser isn't that much.

6 months ago, a single 50mW 445nm diode was $3500.

The only reason we can get those 1W ones for so ridiculously cheap is because sanyo bought a million of them.