Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Olight SR90 Intimidator

I purchased an Olight SR90 Intimidator a few months ago, so here we go!

Well I know its not a laser, but many laser lovers also enjoy the subtle beauty of a bright LED flashlight too.
I bought the SR90 from a seller on Amazon, price was $375.98 shipped! I had a rather large gift card so that made it affordable, and I bit the bullet.
20120217_195914.jpg

20120217_195954.jpg

20120217_200016.jpg

Shipping time: Shipping time was extremely fast! I ordered on Febuary 12th (Sunday) and had the light in my hands at 2:34pm on Febuary 15th (Wednesday). They get Five stars on shipping time for sure!

Presentation: The light came in the normal brown amazon box, but within the box was the very nicely made and solid aluminum case sealed with Olight factory labeled tape. Within the case you will find the head of the light, the battery tube with an aluminum cap to protect the threads. The charger box and cord, A hefty strap to hold the light with padded shoulder rest and "Olight" stitching, and two spare o rings! Oh, and of course the instruction book . The inside of the case is a very thick hard foam with black felt fabric on the top and normal black foam on the lid. With everything in the case, it weighs a nice 7.5lbs

DSCN0179.jpg

The Unit: The light its self and all of its accessories look and feel like they are of the highest quality... which I'd expect from a light with a retail price of $450! When you assemble the light, its size is quite shocking. Much longer and larger than I expected. The threads are very smooth and well lubricated with massive Orings to keep the weather out! The rear of the battery tube as well as the strike bezel and lens are removable to take off the strap attachment points (which I've done) It specifies that the maximum throw is 1,000 Meters. The powers can be switched from high to low by holding the power button, or into strobe with a fast double click. The unit has a "memory" meaning it will stay on the last mode you leave it in. It can be charged from a dust-jacketed port on the rear of the battery pack, the head does not need to be attached to do so. Charge time from when the unit is dead is around 5 hours. That red ring around the lens is actually dusted with glow in the dark paint, which is proving nearly impossible to properly photograph. The battery cap has four LEDs to show what charge level you are at, the ratings are as follows:

1 LED = 20-40%
2 LEDs = 40-60%
3 LEDs = 60-80%
4 LEDs = 85-100%

DSCN0191.jpg

DSCN0188.jpg

DSCN0180-1.jpg

20120217_200049.jpg

20120215_191918.jpg

Specifications:

LED: Luminus SST-90
Material: Aircraft Grade Aluminum
Anodize Type: Type III Hard Anodizeation (Is that a word? o_O)
Output Levels: Low: 700 Lumens, High: 2,200 Lumens
Modes: Low, High, Strobe.
Run Times: Low: 9 Hours, High: 1.2 hours, Strobe: 2.4 hours
Strobe Frequency: 10Hz
Battery Pack: 6 X 18650 6.6A (Can not replace cells)
Dimensions: Length: 336mm (13.23") Bezel Diameter: 100mm (3.94")
Weight: 1580g (55.5 Oz)
Switch Type: Momentary (Programmed to turn the light on/off when released.)
Mil Spec: MIL-STD-810F
Weather Resistance: IPX-68 water and dust proof.

Over all I think it is a great light, and is surely the crown jewel of my collection. It is everything I expected it to be and more, and I would suggest it to anyone who can justify spending that much on a "toy" because lets be honest, who really needs THIS much power? (ME!)

I hope you enjoyed the review, feel free to ask any questions. Here are a few more pictures.

DSCN0571.jpg

Thanks for your time!

Blord

Wow, that is surely a hefty flashlight and the beam is incredible, So bright that is almost illegal :)
Good review !

The tight beam is phenomenal. I really wish there was a multi-led light with the same kind of beam profile, and more power.

Well stay tuned, I'll likely be picking up one of Olights new beasts to review soon ;).

One of these three: Olight X6 5,000 Lumens, Olight SR95UT 1050 lumens BUT "Short Arc" like throw, one of the TOP throwers. It will EASILY put this SR90 to shame, or the SR95.

Ahh, the Marauder, that will be a wall of light I suspect, with nowhere near as much throw, but with that much power.... who cares.

I have a 3000 lumen light. It's a decent mix between spot/fllood, but what's truly amazing, is it plainly washes out other throwers:D

Similar setup actually.

Personally I'm on a quest, for the perfect EDC pocket light. Still haven't found it:(

Ahh, the Marauder, that will be a wall of light I suspect, with nowhere near as much throw, but with that much power.... who cares.

I have a 3000 lumen light. It's a decent mix between spot/fllood, but what's truly amazing, is it plainly washes out other throwers:D

Similar setup actually.

Personally I'm on a quest, for the perfect EDC pocket light. Still haven't found it:(

I HIGHLY suggest you give the Fenix TK15 a shot for your EDC, its got everything you could need! Good run time, several modes, can take a serious hit, can use CR123 primary OR an 18650, good spill and throw, 320 lumens.

EDIT: OR perhaps a Streamlight Protac 2L if you'd like a slightly smaller pocket powerhouse.

Last edited:
I HIGHLY suggest you give the Fenix TK15 a shot for your EDC, its got everything you could need! Good run time, several modes, can take a serious hit, can use CR123 primary OR an 18650, good spill and throw, 320 lumens.

EDIT: OR perhaps a Streamlight Protac 2L if you'd like a slightly smaller pocket powerhouse.

Currently I'm carrying a Jetbeam BC25. The light only lacks in two departments, but IMO, but is the best EDC I've had so far.

1. It has throw, but it's a bit too much of a flood for me... very practical actually, but well... I like having a tight beam.

2. Only two modes, high and low. I would prefer to also have strobe, maybe other power levels.

I did look at the Fenix, but didn't get it, because of the relatively low output.

Basically, what I'm looking for is a 18650/16340/18350 powered light, 3.0-9v, that's capable of high ~900-1000 lumens, good throw, with some, minimal flood, and for it to drop down in power if it is overheating.

Preferably also waterproof, shockproof. Haven't found one like it yet, but still looking:p

Edit: All the chinese lights that claim to be 900 lumens, and to actually do this... PURE BS. The 650 lumen bc25 puts my chinese "900 lumen" lights to shame.

Last edited:

Blord

Some terms are contradicting each other. If you want high lumens of 900-1000 you will need a BIG die led like the XML or ST50.
But these leds only give large flood and not much throw. If you want good throw then you need a large and deep reflector making the whole flashlight bulky. Not a EDC flashlight anymore :)

I made a C6 flashlight with a XPG led. On max it gives a surprisingly a good throw for such small flashlight with one 18650 battery. The flood is less. You have to position the led on the right place in the reflector.

Last edited:
Some terms are contradicting each other. If you want high lumens of 900-1000 you will need a BIG die led like the XML or ST50.
But these leds only give large flood and not much throw. If you want good throw then you need a large and deep reflector making the whole flashlight bulky. Not a EDC flashlight anymore :)

I made a C6 flashlight with a XPG led. On max it gives a surprisingly a good throw for such small flashlight with one 18650 battery. The flood is less. You have to position the led on the right place in the reflector.

I Know :(

I wouldn't really might a deeper/longer reflector by an inch, or so, over the standard size, just so long as it wasn't super long. Not sure if that would help though.

I got to put my grubby hands on this light's prototype, and it was very impressive! I didn't get to see it at night though :confused:

I do own a DRY, and it's great for what it is, but that big, beautiful reflector puts it to shame, not to mention the sst90 jeez!

Congrats, DLMB. Ought to start wearing carpenter jeans and bringing that along as an EDC light :evil:

I got to put my grubby hands on this light's prototype, and it was very impressive! I didn't get to see it at night though :confused:

I do own a DRY, and it's great for what it is, but that big, beautiful reflector puts it to shame, not to mention the sst90 jeez!

Congrats, DLMB. Ought to start wearing carpenter jeans and bringing that along as an EDC light :evil:

Who's to say I don't already? ;)

Oh great someting else for me to spend money on. :p

Now I have to figure out what I need to sell to make this happen. :)

Last edited:
Your EDC hasnt been made yet. A 3000 lumen flood/thrower ..10000mah/14500 "pocket shuttle"....

Similar setup actually.

Oh great someting else for me to spend money on. :p

Now I have to figure out what I need to sell to make this happen. :)

Get to work! BUT I would suggest you get an SR91 or SR91UT over the SR90, they are quite amazing little lights! The SR91 is a bit brighter than the SR90 with more throw and the SR91UT is around half the power but its got throw that can kill or so to say.