Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Oh, the color Green

I remember wanting a laser pointer waaaaaay back when. I think I was 6 or 7 and hounded my parents. I can remember looking at Walmart, because we already knew Target didn't have them(Dad worked there). My parents knew I wouldn't shine in people's eyes, as they had repeated this the days before. I'm not sure if Walmart had one or not, but I ended up with a green camouflage one. Loved it! Past that, I can remember my grandma giving me one with all kinds of cool shapes! And another one, cool green shell, that somehow disappeared within days :(. One of my friends had a lot of interest in it...probably because I loved it and was bragging too much: karma.

Anyways, around 15, I started working. This is in, 2006 and I started looking into wicked lasers. I wanted a green laser since I saw a cheap red one, but didn't have the money! Knew about ir and cheap lasers and was very hesitant, BUT I WANTED TO POP BALOONS, dang it! Bought a 50 mW off eBay. Nowhere in the description did it say about filters, which I thought they would highlight on ebay, but I was thrilled to pay a low price and burn stuff(hopefully).

Was amazed! That green beam(my favorite color, by a long shot), would illuminate the entire house at night! I purchased a set of IR filters off amazon. I had no clue how I should attach, so I taped it onto the front, making sure not to cover the beam with tape. Lol. Either I lose stuff a lot in the invisible pits of my house, or I pick bad friends, but that AND my taser somehow went missing one night.

22 now. I don't want to fool around with cheap, low quality lasers. I impulsively bought a Wicked Laser Nano. It was supposed to be here on the 11th. USPS still hasn't updated the tracking. I've been afraid since buying that it(15mW) will be too powerful for indoor shenanigans with the house cat. I want to stay safe and smart this time, to avoid any lasers injuries throughout my life.

Wanted to play with the cat; I'm lazy and I can sit on the couch while entertaining myself as well. Sounds like a dumb reason to be excited for a green laser, but sounds like a win-win to me :)

Bought an Anser from LaserGlow today and I can't be more excited! I talked with the owner of Optotronics as well. While he had GREAT customer service, I didn't want anything over 5mW's. The Anser is 3-5 and from what people say, that's guaranteed. I like that!

So, just wanted to give you all a run down. I wanted to join since I've been lurking for a few weeks and enjoy learning as much as possible to have fun. I know neither of these lasers I bought are mods I've created, but I have taken apart some old DVD players and laser printers in the past for their diodes. ;)

Oh, an hi everyone!

If anyone has suggestions, I would like to find lasers of different parts of the light spectrum, in safe mW's for indoor use. I would like ones that are safe enough that I don't worry constantly about reflections. I'm not staring into these lasers, just viewing in other places than the sky. I'm also not wanting to burn or pop anything.

So, suggestions on good, safe, guaranteed: yellow, purple, blue ??? Lasers :)

Thanks everyone! Glad to be here.

Last edited:
Welcome to LPF from another new guy. Read all the stickies... tons of great info on protocol and safety. Lots of knowledgable folks here to learn from...

oh, and use the search tool... There is a TON of archived info that may be just have you are looking for...

Cheers!
-Clayton

Last edited:
What Kap said! If you want hand built lasers in those low guaranteed ranges, you may be best off with companies like Laserglow, or you could buy from a member like myself who has an LPM and can tune something that low. But you'd be paying FAR more for that kind of build by a member, who cares about what he makes and chooses superior materials, as compared to a Chinese manufacturer who churns out pens by the thousands.

Finally someone not looking to burn everything in sight. If you have some money burning a hole in your pocket you can hunt down some of the yellow lasers. Those are a rarity.

Welcome!
Speedy

Last edited:
Yeah...I didn't even mention the yellows because of their expense. But, boy do I want one!

Bacon

The AWESOME lower power lasers that I have been eye balling are usually the "exotic" diodes and or crystals (I like the clean look of single mode diodes too) These will not only be safer to use casually, but will make all of us jealous ;)
593.5nm (yellow)
589nm(yellow)
473nm (light blue)
488 (lighter blue)
520nm (green)
620nm (orange)
638nm (Sweet red)

I assume most are DPSS and are quite expensive. I just listed the lower power exotic wavelengths.
As for me my favorite color is blue and the 445s don't need crystals, just pure, raw, blue goodness.
:wave:

Last edited:

norbyx

Low power lasers are the only way to play wit a cat, remember that cats have a sight that is far more sensitive to light than we do. So for them a 5mw laser can look as a 50 mw or more to us. I play with my cat all the time but I have a 4mw laser that is safe to do, when I try the powerful lasers I make sure my cat is not around, imagine what a reflection of a 1w laser can mean to a cat. Also we use goggles, cats don't, and if we have no goggles we know better than looking at the reflection, cats stare at it. So be kind with your cat.

Low power lasers are the only way to play wit a cat, remember that cats have a sight that is far more sensitive to light than we do... we use goggles, cats don't, and if we have no goggles we know better than looking at the reflection, cats stare at it. So be kind with your cat.

All the kitties thank you :)
thank-you-cat-meme-generator-ntaaawwww-fank-you-really-much-5bb7cf.jpg

cat-meme-laser.jpg

~ LB

Last edited:
I know not what you speak of? I must google this. I am a master of avoiding work though :D

~ LB