Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Oh no Kipkay and lasers again

Thanks again for all the kind comments, fellas! Because of you I donated another $100 to LPF. Keep up the good work!
Hey, since you are already here (every time when it's talk about you, it seems that you magically appear),
Care to explain how can one of those "lighters" cost $100?

I really wanna know.

DJNY

Thanks again for all the kind comments, fellas! Because of you I donated another $100 to LPF. Keep up the good work!

Why you never refer to the fact that lasers are dangerous?
By far not all people know that they are...
You should present some of the OEMlaser goggles in your vids.

Why you never refer to the fact that lasers are dangerous?
By far not all people know that they are...
You should present some of the OEMlaser goggles in your vids.
It's gone more personal than just lack of safety in the videos.

Kipkay, you do realise that there is a reason for anything, even the majority of the forum hating you?

It didn't come out of no sky, you earned it yourself.

You donating money to the forum (PM sent to C0ld to verify that) after how the forum treated you surely tells me this goes somewhat deeper than simply rubbing it in our faces.

Care to share, Kip?

(Don't forget my question from 3 posts before, how does one lighter cost $100?)

HIMNL9

Well, i don't have a youtube account, so i don't know how it work ..... but ..... can you "vote" the videos in both "good" and "bad" votes ? ..... if yes, why all those that have a YT account, don't vote his videos as "bad", and report them to YT admins for "teaching dangerous operations" or similars ?

Just an idea ..... :eg:

Well, i don't have a youtube account, so i don't know how it work ..... but ..... can you "vote" the videos in both "good" and "bad" votes ? ..... if yes, why all those that have a YT account, don't vote his videos as "bad", and report them to YT admins for "teaching dangerous operations" or similars ?

Just an idea ..... :eg:
You can vote Like or Dislike, but what's our 1000 dislikes when all youtubers give million of likes?
Besides, youtube would never go against top earner and biggest hotshot there.
They are paying him for views, after all.

Trevor

A contribution in the form of mentioning good safety practices in your videos would be nice.

Sometimes I don't understand how you sleep at night - teaching kids on the internet with basic soldering skills how to build a "burning laser," and neglecting to give safety even a minute. :undecided:

-Trevor

Kipkay

Sure. You can purchase a complete kit to build your own at LaserDIY.com. They are $99. I am giving away 5. You can also save 10% by using the Coupon Code: kipkay.

DJNY

Sure. You can purchase a complete kit to build your own at LaserDIY.com. They are $99. I am giving away 5. You can also save 10% by using the Coupon Code: kipkay.

I´m sorry for you that money is more important to you than safety :cryyy:
But it isn´t your problem when others buy and build your kits and blind themselves or others, right?

Trevor

And the cost comes from...?

If these use a PHR diode, the profit margin is huge.

EDIT: And about all the safety issues...? :undecided:

-Trevor

Last edited:
This?!

Kipkay you gotta be kidding me.

Please spare a moment to click the "6x laser" link in my signature under my post.
What you are looking at is a 200mW Bluray laser constructed off GGW laser diode, sled, with boost converter I made with LM3410X IC, in host that was provided by Bill.
My friend payed the diode $55 exactly.
I made the driver and the entire laser for $10.

Now, since I got the host for free, let's say that I needed to pay $30 to Bill to manufacture it.

That's $95, still cheaper than the "kit" ,

And since you (only one, presumably), have the first hand experience of these "150mW modules", would you please tell me , in seconds, the runtime of two button cells?

My laser uses 340mA at 4 V to boost 5V @ 190mA.

That's aproximately 5:50 hours of runtime on single battery charge, given that the cell is 2000mAh flat (says 2500 on it).
Completely focusable, and WELL HEATSINKED build for very long duty cycles.

That kit is anything but heatsinked and durable, not to mention nonfocusable, and I bet underpowered.

DIY lasers of this forum, this community I am proud to be a part of, unrarely surpass quality of very large portion of lasers which can be bought on lasers like your "laserDIY".

Can you see that you are wasting not only yours, but everybody's money who buys from that site?
Is that site funding you or what?

EDIT -
http://laserdiy.com/hipoweredbluelaserdiode150mw.aspx
Ehh... PHRs are practically given for free these days, along with 1 Watt 445nm diodes which cost $35 these days... oops ...

Last edited:

Kipkay

A contribution in the form of mentioning good safety practices in your videos would be nice.

Sometimes I don't understand how you sleep at night - teaching kids on the internet with basic soldering skills how to build a "burning laser," and neglecting to give safety even a minute. :undecided:

-Trevor

Every single one of my videos has a safety warning in the description. There are a bunch of other videos on the internet with NO warnings...including your forum friend and laser scholar, ROG. Why don't you talk to him too? His video (147,000+ views) and his tutorial on how to build a laser lighter does not have a SINGLE SAFETY WARNING. The hypocrisy here amuses me. Talk to your own people then come trolling after me.

I'll say it again as I have in the past. As you all know, doing one of these projects is no easy task. It requires a fair amount of electronics experience and knowledge. Anyone with knowledge enough to be able to extract a working diode from a DVD burner or other device, and get it to work properly is smart enough to know the warnings regarding lasers. Even $1 laser pointers you can buy at a Dollar Store can under certain circumstance damge your eyes.

I realize there are dangers associated with lasers as well as many other devices including potato cannons (you could be killed), making thermite (you could be blinded), making smoke bombs (you could damage your lungs) even tools like a table saw (you could lose a finger).

Of course I'm not saying there aren't any, but just for the heck of it, can someone provide the forum with the documented cases of people who have been injured or blinded by lasers? Might be an interesting and educational read.

Trevor

Every single one of my videos has a safety warning in the description. There are a bunch of other videos on the internet with NO warnings...including your forum friend and laser scholar, ROG. Why don't you talk to him too? His video (147,000+ views) and his tutorial on how to build a laser lighter does not have a SINGLE SAFETY WARNING. The hypocrisy here amuses me. Talk to your own people then come trolling after me.

I'll say it again as I have in the past. As you all know, doing one of these projects is no easy task. It requires a fair amount of electronics experience and knowledge. Anyone with knowledge enough to be able to extract a working diode from a DVD burner or other device, and get it to work properly is smart enough to know the warnings regarding lasers. Even $1 laser pointers you can buy at a Dollar Store can under certain circumstance damge your eyes.

I realize there are dangers associated with lasers as well as many other devices including potato cannons (you could be killed), making thermite (you could be blinded), making smoke bombs (you could damage your lungs) even tools like a table saw (you could lose a finger).

Of course I'm not saying there aren't any, but just for the heck of it, can someone provide the forum with the documented cases of people who have been injured or blinded by lasers? Might be an interesting and educational read.

Your safety warnings? Was that before or after the negative backlash about the lack of safety warnings in the videos. How much of your fanbase actually reads the descriptions?

Regarding your last paragraph, try reading the safety section on Sam's Laser FAQ. It is readily apparent to me that you have not.

-Trevor

Perhaps you should think about the reason for lack of written cases of somebody loosing an eyesight, like preaching laser safety around these parts, hmm?

Don't forget my post #59 , explaining some technicalities you should have no trouble understanding (not sarcasm, I really mean that).

Kipkay

This?!

Kipkay you gotta be kidding me.

Please spare a moment to click the "6x laser" link in my signature under my post.
What you are looking at is a 200mW Bluray laser constructed off GGW laser diode, sled, with boost converter I made with LM3410X IC, in host that was provided by Bill.
My friend payed the diode $55 exactly.
I made the driver and the entire laser for $10.

Now, since I got the host for free, let's say that I needed to pay $30 to Bill to manufacture it.

That's $95, still cheaper than the "kit" ,

And since you (only one, presumably), have the first hand experience of these "150mW modules", would you please tell me , in seconds, the runtime of two button cells?

My laser uses 340mA at 4 V to boost 5V @ 190mA.

That's aproximately 5:50 hours of runtime on single battery charge, given that the cell is 2000mAh flat (says 2500 on it).
Completely focusable, and WELL HEATSINKED build for very long duty cycles.

That kit is anything but heatsinked and durable, not to mention nonfocusable, and I bet underpowered.

DIY lasers of this forum, this community I am proud to be a part of, unrarely surpass quality of very large portion of lasers which can be bought on lasers like your "laserDIY".

Can you see that you are wasting not only yours, but everybody's money who buys from that site?
Is that site funding you or what?

EDIT -
Hi Powered Blue Laser Diode 150mW
Ehh... PHRs are practically given for free these days, along with 1 Watt 445nm diodes which cost $35 these days... oops ...

Phew...that's laborious. Okay. Yes you can save $5. Great. Start a website and sell them.

Well...the module does not use any power. I assume you mean the diode? And no I am not, as you so sarcastically imply, the only one with first hand experience. This "gadget" is a novelty item, not designed to be used every day. Seriously, who wants to wear safety glasses all day long. The button cells are the only reasonable power source in such a small host.

Yes the kit is heatsinked. That's what the module does, right? Also the module has a collimating lens in it to focus, right?

I am not affiliated in any way with LaserDIY.com

Trevor

Phew...that's laborious. Okay. Yes you can save $5. Great. Start a website and sell them.

The laser he mentioned ends up in a good looking host, with proper heatsinking. And he used a better diode (GGW).

Your lighter is a $10 diode in a $3 module in a $1 host with a max of $30 for a driver (does this build have one?). Batteries are $5 let's say.

$49 max. Must be $30 worth of solder and wires, leaving only $20 of pure profit. :crackup:

-Trevor

Last edited:

Kipkay

Perhaps you should think about the reason for lack of written cases of somebody loosing an eyesight, like preaching laser safety around these parts, hmm?

Don't forget my post #59 , explaining some technicalities you should have no trouble understanding (not sarcasm, I really mean that).

Are you implying that this forum intentionally avoids talking about the hazards of lasers and documenting actual cases of the dangers? Yet you come down hard on me and my videos?