Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Odicforce Waterproof Host for Green Modules

Morgan

Hi All,

I recently purchased one of these in black - link: Waterproof Laser Host - Detailed item view - OdicForce Lasers Online Shop - and have finally gotten round to inserting my 100mW green module from O-like that has been sitting around for far too long!

First, a little about the purchasing and delivery etc. This didn't go as smoothly as hoped for and my order did take a long time to reach me but there was a good reason for this. Jon at Odicforce had suffered a catastrophic server failure in the week before I bought, (circa April 2010), which effectively crippled his site. This meant that shopping cart, order placement, and email were all affected and the backlog had been overwhelming but after a phonecall the package arrived the next day so all was forgiven. I only mention this so that any other similar experiences a few weeks ago can be cleared up. Jon is a great guy and was extremely apologetic. I will have no problem ordering from him in future.

On with the review...

Here's my pic of this item

25ioh9w.jpg

At only £9.98, (Around $15US), plus minimal shipping this is a budget host but very useable none-the-less. Fittings are nice and tight, aided by rubber o-rings that form the waterproof seals, and the finish is reasonably good. I have read that these are very similar to, if not identical to ones bought through Rayfoss but not having personally handled those ones I cannot say.

The first thing to be done to fit the module, (standard size green 532nm, 100mW from O-like $56 at the time I bought), was to by-pass the momentary switch. A very easy operation that only entails a short link wire and two solder points. Some modules may differ but this one has no other components nearby so the risks of damage, even for a complete novice, are minimal and should not put anyone off trying this, (a nod and a wink to any potential green kit purchasers!). Pic of the completed link...

29vawjm.jpg

Once the link was in, it was time to marry the module and host. Assembly configuration pic...

241s4nn.jpg

When first inserting the module it was obvious that even with quite a bit of force, it was not going to fit comfortably. I feel this is simply down to tolerances being at the wrong ends for both items so a little bit of turning on the newly refurbed lathe was in order, (no pic of this, sorry). For those not lucky enough to have a lathe to hand a patient session of sanding with a suitable grade emery paper will surfice. Having done this the parts went together with a nice interference fit with good electrical contact but not a permanent installation.

Coupling all together with a single 3V CR2, 600mAh battery, (also from O-like), I found the contact spring from the module was just shy of the battery but after a little tweak this was solved and hey presto! A nice little handheld laser...

akvqs4.jpg

The only issue I really have with this host is the quality of the clicky switch. At first the contact was intermittent at best and non-existent at worst. Pulling it apart, cleaning up the contacts and lengthening the spring to give more, 'push', has helped and so this is not a massive headache. It must also be remembered that this is a host at the lower end of the budget so, "You gets what you pays for". A better switch can always be installed at a later date but for now I am happy with my new Waterproof Green Laser!

All-in-all this assembly only took about 30mins including the tweaking, soldering and turning so a nice result from relatively little input. Power measurements have not been done at present and beamshots will have to wait until it's dark but I hope this review gives a good enough idea of what's involved should anyone want to assemble their own laser using these cheap but effective hosts.

Thanks for reading...

M
:)

Last edited:

Wow, this build looks really nice. I might buy one for my red laser. Are you sure that it's for green only? Because it is in the Green kits and Laser hosts section plus it doesn't say "for green" in the description. Is the driver on your o-like module a boost driver? Because one battery shouldn't be suffisent to power a LD right?

Great work, great laser.

I bet that the additional lens make a bit of a mess, and need to be cleaned with distilled water after playing around with the laser in a pool.

Anyhow, great work and impressed by lathe work on the module.

Morgan that is one sweet build, i cant wait until i get my rayfoss 150mW should be here in the next week... it is the exact same model and colour as yours.

stuart :)

Wow, this build looks really nice. I might buy one for my red laser. Are you sure that it's for green only? Because it is in the Green kits and Laser hosts section plus it doesn't say "for green" in the description. Is the driver on your o-like module a boost driver? Because one battery shouldn't be suffisent to power a LD right?
You haven't been around much green lasers, have you ? ;)

No it's not boost converter, is a low dropout linear regulation circuit.
Since LD's forward voltage is only around 1.9V, one lithium, or lithium ion cell, is more than enough.

A green LD's forward vltage is 1.9V? Wow that's really small. Thank you for the info, and no I have never had a green laser :)

A green LD's forward voltage is 1.9V? Wow that's really small. Thank you for the info, and no I have never had a green laser :)

they aren't green laser diodes, they are 808nm infrared diodes that are pumped with a crystal to convert it to 1064nm and then finally with the KTP doubling crystal to then convert that to 532nm green. it isn't very efficient though as a 1W infrared diode only puts out around 200mW of green depending on the quality of the crystals.

Ash

Why buy a host manufactured by Rayfoss (for $18 shipped) from Odicforce? Shorter shipping time?
Beware. I just took one of these snorkeling off of the Cayman Islands last week, and after diving down past 3 meters in depth, the laser leaked and killed the green module that was in it.
I would say safely that they are waterproof to 2 meters, 3-meters may be too much pressure for the o-rings.

Why buy a host manufactured by Rayfoss (for $18 shipped) from Odicforce? Shorter shipping time?
Beware. I just took one of these snorkeling off of the Cayman Islands last week, and after diving down past 3 meters in depth, the laser leaked and killed the green module that was in it.
I would say safely that they are waterproof to 2 meters, 3-meters may be too much pressure for the o-rings.

Rayfoss hosts FTL!

Morgan

Rayfoss hosts FTL!

FTL? :thinking:

I would think that shipping time would be MUCH quicker as Odicforce is in the UK already and considering that these are priced at the equivalent of $15 plus maybe $2 shipping, it still comes in cheaper than buying from Rayfoss.

The extra glass does make for awful splash, (pun intended), but I don't plan to be testing out the full waterproof capabilities of this host. Maybe just happy to use in the rain. At the price I would consider it in the same league as a $5 waterproof watch! Waterproof in the shower, but avoid the ocean!

@ Anthony16r - Although it would not be a major hassle to fit a red or Blu-ray into this host, (assuming you have properly used the case pins to determine either case positive or negative, depending on your LD), you would need to make compromises for functionality for a number of reasons. First, because the green module is only held at the bottom with an interference fit and this means you will not be able to adjust focus as the Aixiz, (or other module), lens nut would be inside the host and therefore unuseable. Even if you could overcome this hurdle, the second reason is that the host has no aperature to allow the front of any red or Blu-ray module to protrude anyway. It would be possible to remove the front glass of course, (AR coated for 532nm don't forget!), but the hole would have to be drilled out to accommodate. There are simply better kits available for this but if you have the tools, then why not give it a go.

Thanks for the positive feedback all! I have some more products to review shortly so I hope you come back and check them out too...

M

Last edited:

FTL=for the loss...

i was quoting ash' comment as his laser leaked in the ocean past 3 meters and it is supposed to go to 5m without trouble but his leaked in.

rayfoss=loss for that product.

Morgan

Nope, still don't get it. No worries, I'll come back to it later...

M

Ash

you will not be able to adjust focus as the Aixiz, (or other module), lens nut would be inside the host and therefore unuseable.

This is incorrect. You can easily press an aixiz module in the host and have the focusing ring accessible, it is long enough. I will take a picture of one later when I get home, if you like.
the second reason is that the host has no aperature to allow the front of any red or Blu-ray module to protrude anyway. It would be possible to remove the front glass of course, (AR coated for 532nm don't forget!), but the hole would have to be drilled out to accommodate.
This is not necessary. I can show you with pictures (if you like), but an aixiz module will fit in deep enough that you can retain the waterproof aperture window and locking nut on the host, and it doesn't touch the aixiz module, and it is still focusable. The only catch is that you have to screw off the waterproof head to adjust the focus on the aixiz.
And actually the aperture window is not AR coated on the R-foss (unfocusable) hosts.
The only issue I have found is that you have to build an electrically-isolated spring (heat-shrink tubing works) that goes through the hole in the back of the aixiz module that is the proper length to contact the battery.
Easy :whistle:

check out the link in my sig... I have had it up to 12 ft. in a pool no leakage, full adjustably.

The only problem is I have no way to bring justice to the unit by either way of photo
or a schweet pool.:drool:

check the date I Had this done awhile ago I have three units now: 660nm, 535nm, 405nm. jander6442