Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Odd ...405nm vs Rock

I have found that some stones will have a super cool, "after glow" when hit with 405nm!!!!
I was told it was soap stone, but it has a pink after glow!

cool! The art depot at my school has loads of the stuff... maybe I could make something!

will

the soap stone is fluorescent, which means that your laser light hits the rock, and the light is absorbed and remitted with less energy, making it a different color light. in this case, 405nm, which is almost black light, is remitted pinkish orange, which is probably around 600nms.

the soap stone is fluorescent, which means that your laser light hits the rock, and the light is absorbed and remitted with less energy, making it a different color light. in this case, 405nm, which is almost black light, is remitted pinkish orange, which is probably around 600nms.
Great find, Don't Laze Me Bro

I am going to a large antique swap meet tommorrow and there is always a guy there that sells metorites, quartz, and all kinds of other minerals.
I'm always looking for items that fluoresce. I never seen any item fluoresce any other color then green. I even carry my Blu-ray with me and shine it at objects to see if they fluoresce.
I would love to have a chunk of this stuff.

Last edited:
Great find, Don't Laze Me Bro

I am going to a large antique swap meet tommorrow and there is always a guy there that sells metorites, quartz, and all kinds of other minerals.
I'm always looking for items that fluoresce. I never seen any item fluoresce any other color then green. I even carry my Blu-ray with me and shine it at objects to see if they fluoresce.
I would love to have a chunk of this stuff.

Let me know if you don't find any, I may be able to get some if members are interested :)
-Dustin

It is fluorescent if it glows another color while the bluray laser is on it.
If it continues to glow after the laser is shut off, it is displaying phosphorescent properties.

Just for fun, try peanut butter. If you can get zinc sulfide, try it too. You can even mix the two.

I did go to the gem and rock dealer. He had lots of soapstone. Unfortunately, none of it was flourescent.:yabbmad: He said only synthetic soapstone flouresces. I can not find any anywhere. PM'ing Don't Laze Me Bro to see if he can get me some.

HIMNL9

Ask daguin, about minerals and fluorescence ..... i think he have so much minerals and knowledge about them, that probably he can write a book about these things ;)

daguin

I did go to the gem and rock dealer. He had lots of soapstone. Unfortunately, none of it was flourescent.:yabbmad: He said only synthetic soapstone flouresces. I can not find any anywhere. PM'ing Don't Laze Me Bro to see if he can get me some.

The "soapstone" that fluoresced, was probably calcite.

Peace,
dave

Thanks, Dave:bowdown:
If Don't Laze Me Bro can't get me any, I'll know what to ask for. I'm going back to the gem dealer in a couple of weeks.

It is fluorescent if it glows another color while the bluray laser is on it.
If it continues to glow after the laser is shut off, it is displaying phosphorescent properties.

Just for fun, try peanut butter. If you can get zinc sulfide, try it too. You can even mix the two.

I tried peanut butter and noticed nothing :thinking:

antique red paint glows a cool brown color, and creamy peanut butter is barely noticeable for me.

will

I find many sapphire and rubies will glow red or magenta, a few will glow orange, most diamond that glow glow blue/ white, but a few will glow green, yellow or orange. Synthetic ruby seems to glow brighter red than natural generally, (besides it's cheap!). I used a small BR on many in the Natural history museum in LA and far more fancy color diamonds glowed than I see in colorless ones. There they also have a large sliced meteorite and many of the olivine parts are "inert", (no long wave glow), but one right at the top glowed well a yellow/ green.

The best way to see the peanut butter effect is in total darkness. The afterglow is greenish, and short-lived. Best results are if you let your eyes adjust a bit to the darkness, and don't look directly at the peanut butter as you lase it. There is a brief green glow after the laser is removed.