Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

O-Like 400mw 405nm Brief Review

This is my first review, I will keep it short.

400mW blu-ray 405nm laser torch /adjustable/waterproof [OL-405T-400] - $102.99 : Welcome to O-Like.com, Your source for laser products

The laser arrived after a few weeks after ordering a padded bag. The laser came in a cradboard case.

5093e558.jpg

It came with a spring loaded 18650 (it will probably charge smaller cells too) charger with a US plug, luckily have a few adapters on hand, as this is very common. It accepts 100-240V AC, 50-60Hz.

ef119e56.jpg

Inside the case we find the laser, 18650 Ultafire 2400mAh battery and an engrish manual, but very readable.

The laser is claimed to be water proof, I have no intend to use it under water so I will not test that. It does have an aperture window, it looks ar coated too. The focus ring is snug thanks to an embedded o-ring, it feels very nice. The overall build quality is very good with no visible defects.

c17e8d16.jpg

I don't have a power meter but I will guess that the power is somewhere close to 300mW, which is not bad at all for $100. After a minute or two of use the body stats to get warm, it is to be expected with such a small host, so I will not complain. The lens looks like a standard element lens, the beam is almost perfectly round at aperture, and 5mm in diameter.

I give this laser 4.5 out of 5, I really recommended this laser. I will add more to this review if I find something.

S

Stephen j gilman

Lol why won't someone have the balls to try their waterproof laser under water? ;b

Good info, I'm going to buy one next paycheck!

Arshus

Judging from my metered 45mW 405 pen, and your lasers "dot" it looks like it may be anywhere from 250-350mW. Very Nice.

Lol why won't someone have the balls to try their waterproof laser under water? ;b

Good info, I'm going to buy one next paycheck!
Why would I need a laser under water? Water proof or not, I still think the water will leave residue on the aperture window when it evaporates.

Judging from my metered 45mW 405 pen, and your lasers "dot" it looks like it may be anywhere from 250-350mW. Very Nice.
You cant judge the output by looking at a picture, not even with your eyes unless you know exactly what the real wavelength is, and even then it is just a guess. I could be completely wrong , it can very well be 400mW. All I did was comparing the burning with the lasers I already own and know the power of. Brightness is not a good way to guess output power, especially at violet wavelengths as just few nanometers can jump the brightness up or down quite a bit.

Maros

I'm currently waiting on mine to come in, Shouldn't be but a couple more weeks, thanks for the quick review!

Thanks for the Review.:gj:

That is a Great laser for the money. I really am tempted to buy one.

Is there any splash around the dot.? I know in some Waterproof lasers that there is splash around the dot due to the outer waterproof lens.

Also its pretty sweet that it take an 18650 cell in such a small laser.:)

+1

Ash

I got mine this weekend, and I metered it (with a non-full battery) at over 380mW.
I'll be posting a review soon with testing, pics and yes, of course, I'll test it's waterproofness too. :cool:

Arshus

@ FireMyLaser : yeah I know, it was just a guess you cant even really tell a laser's output by its burning capabilities. For example: I have a lower powered laser from ebay that meters about 100mW but it burns things like crazy because it was made focused into a TINY beam diameter.

My Opto 150 meters at an average of 170mW and it can't burn as much as the ebay laser. So that just goes to show you. Still though, for a 405 to make a dot that big and bright even on a picture it has to be over 200mW.

Last edited:

ped

So are they buying the 12x diodes direct from source do you think?

Thanks for the Review.

That is a Great laser for the money. I really am tempted to buy one.

Is there any splash around the dot.? I know in some Waterproof lasers that there is splash around the dot due to the outer waterproof lens.

Also its pretty sweet that it take an 18650 cell in such a small laser.

+1

There is one very faint artifact beside the dot at when pointing at a distance. It may be one of the lenses causing this, or it can be light reflected off of the diode window onto the die's pedestal, which is projected.

This artifact is not visible in the picture above, that is caused by the camera.

Last edited:

Arshus

I can't wait to get mine in Feb lol. I also ordered a 400mW Green.

Ash --

Thank you for contributing a touch of science to this "review" with a power reading. LPF used to be about science long ago.
HMike

Last edited:

Arshus

I think Fire's "Review" did provide some useful information, shows how it was shipped, the host, and what battery it came with (I was surprised to see that O-like included a rechargeable Ultrafire 18650 for the $95.00 price tag).

Also, the beamshot clearly demonstrates that the laser's output much exceeds a standard 405nm "Pen-Style" host laser's. For the Money, I say its a deal even at 200mW, but i'm sure O-like will come alot closer to spec.

So in my opinion, even though not grounded in hard-proof, it was useful. I think that the spirit of this forum is not only scientific, while that certainly should be the main focus, but also to interact with one another, and have fun :yh:

-Sal