Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

NUGM06 could be good for over 2W each ???

Just saw these for sale, 2.3A factory rating, can likely be overclocked to near 3A ??? Ok maybe not quite 3A but where's the foldback, can't hardly wait to find out, these are bound to do over 2W each, has anyone tested one yet ?

The NUGM04 data sheet shows 1.9A typ and 2.3A max but the output shows 1.35 each or 10.8 for the block of 8....... these 06's show same current but 13.2W output, so did they become more efficient ?

Last edited:

Unown (WILD)

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
I've been wanting to make a green laser. I have yet to see green laser light at that power

Yea I didn't get too excited about the NUGM04 because the difference between 1.2W and 1.6W wouldn't be all that much to the eye, but if this NUGM06 can do over 2W when overdriven the way we do, then double the power will be half again as bright as we see it and I expect the divergence will be the same, either way I've been meaning to do a c-lens corrected handheld 525 and a 2W unit makes it even more worth doing, I just hope it's not a NUGM04 doppelganger over represented by old teck-hoodlum looking to boost his sales, time will tell.

Got a block delivered like a week ago... Haven't had a chance to extract or test them yet though.

I tested the NUGM06 the other night on my LPM..... Some very interesting results - The forward voltage didn't exceed 4.8V and it took over 3.5A without suffering. This forward voltage is much lower than most other green laser diodes which was quite surprising to me. I was hoping for a bit higher optical output but 1.9 watts isn't bad. Perhaps it would be a little higher if I removed the G-Ball lens. I haven't put it on my spectrometer yet but hopefully I'll have some time to do that soon.

Here's a video:

So it's more efficient than the NDG7475 at least when over-driven to near fold-back as we do, but I'm not sure about the NUGM04, I run my NUGM03's at around 2.1A and get 1.2W which is not really relevant, but I haven't done anything with the 04's yet as I still have unused 03's in my supply box.

Anyway the NDG7475 2.5A @ 5.0V = 12.5W in that yields 1.5W output.
And the NUGM06 3.5A @ 4.6V = 12.65W in that yields 1.9W output.

What are our specs on the NUGM04, is it's over-driven efficiency somewhere in between ?

Photophile

I was checking on your store for a NUGM06 module. Any idea when or if they will be available?

Less appears to be more.... got a steady 2 watts at 2.2A
I also threw 5.5 amps at one of them and it didn't die, just started to dim out.
Some liquid nitrogen might do something spectacular with these diodes.

LPM.jpg

That's the most efficient yet.

You know, I de-can my nugm03's and so far they have held up very well doing about 1.2W @ 2.2A, but I wonder at what output the coating on the facet will start to deteriorate from burnt airborne particulates ?

I know the nubm07 @ 4W or so will dam sure live a short life de-canned.

I'm sure these will get recapped with inert back-fill in time, there should even be a factory window can issue.....maybe a NDGXXXX ?

Probably with the gball lens removed and running open ( no lens ).

But there's no value in testing the diode with the GBall lens removed and no other lens in front of it because we don't use them without a lens unless you want a green floodlight, also you have to put the diode without a lens so close to your sensor that waste heat gets picked up.

That said the 06's appear to be an upgrade from the 04's, when the prices for individual pieces are reasonable I will likely buy some.

The G-Ball lens was attached in both tests. I don't typically remove them unless a customer specifically requests it. I believe the heat buildup was too much when going higher in the first test which kept the output much lower by the time the LPM caught up. The LaserBee LPM takes a while to react so we're not seeing exact results of current to output. I would have to increase the current much more gradually to see more accurate results and I would need a much larger heatsink for the diode module.