Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

NUBMOA diode/

Hi, Just through this in a Host that was sitting around . So I decided to put in a NUBMOA diode /G ball . This takes 2X18350's and has a CU core with a SXD heat sinked with a CU sink I milled for it on the IC. Then I decided to fit a 3X BE and wow what a difference in the dot size.From a bar to a nice tight dot, The bar shape with these diodes aren't that bad compared to the 44's . With out the BE it hits about 5800 to 6000. With the BE about 5100/5200.. At 32ft. the dot is tight with the BE nice am happy with this build. Had a little time between a few other jobs in the fire but couldn't resist I had the bank of these diodes sitting for a while. Sure am very happy with this diode it reminds me of the NDB7A75 years ago at DTR's shop, But these have a G ball ,will take the G ball off of one soon to see other results. Beam shots later,
Well sooner than later folks. A few LPM shots ..IMG_4281.JPGIMG_4282.JPGIMG_4283.JPGIMG_4285.JPGIMG_4281.JPGIMG_4282.JPGIMG_4283.JPGIMG_4285.JPGfullsizeoutput_972.jpegfullsizeoutput_973.jpegfullsizeoutput_974.jpegfullsizeoutput_972.jpegfullsizeoutput_973.jpeg

Rich:)IMG_4281.JPGIMG_4282.JPGIMG_4283.JPGIMG_4285.JPG

Last edited:

GSS

Nice host and a great little size.. Perfect I'm guessing for up to at least 30 seconds of 6W fun:):) With a beam expander for far spots that is more than enough.
So the with the Gball it was still a decent beam/spot. Till you post beam pic's how blue are they?

Edit: Wow the added beam pic's make it look a bit higher than the 450nm norm. Is it the pic or like that to the eye?

Last edited:
Hi GSS,
Yes it's a nice blue WL really looks the same on camera. Oh you can go longer than 30SEC, I ran it about over a minute and the sink gets a little warm. It is still 9mm diode, and they are awesome over 5000 with BE/over 6000 with BE. Might need to machine the couplings I made for Red , one lens normally set and one inverted . He says it works out good and he experiments with all these focal jobs. He's really good at it ..

Rich:)

GSS

Wow I way under estimated the copper in AL host sinking:)
I don't remember 7A75's and read about alot of members missing them. Then they sure were a nice blue..

Last edited:
Hi GSS,
I still have a few older builds that I use the NDB7A75's . they were the top dog at the time before the 6/7W 9mm's.
The sinking on the host is great for the run time for this diode .

Hi, And by the way if I didn't mention it the SXD /IC is heat sinked with a CU full half dia. of 12mm bar stock . Every driver that is over 1.8 Is sinked either in AL or CU depending on the diode used. It doesn't pay to skimp with a Cheap build . Just would be a total waste of time and material.

Reactions: GSS
Very nice build Rich. (y)

When I find a GBall diode with a pretty good focus I often attach a 3X beam expander like that and push the module back into the host so the beam expander coupler bottoms out against the face of the host, I use an emptied out 3E lens barrel to join the coupler to the module stopping when it bottoms out against the GBall can.

Also I sometimes use a backwards facing G2 followed by a forward facing G2 or 3E when the GBall focus is not good, if my final focusing lens is a 3E I use a 20mm long coupler and if a G2 final focusing lens then I use a 16mm long coupler, then the coupler which is 12mm wide can be pushed back into the heat sink so only the final focusing lens and it's thumbwheel are seen outside of the host.

besetupa.JPG

gballcouplersb.JPG

Last edited:
Hi Red, Are you familiar with these NUBMOA's they seem pretty good. I didn't push it to 4.5A in the build, but On the PSU I did and it was outstanding results. I'll PM you,

Hey Rich, I tested a NUBM0A and it did 6.75w @ 4.5a they are strong diodes and to be fair my diode was already warm so it is likely able to do 7w @ 4.5a cold.

Last edited:
Hi, These diodes are great even at with a ball lens. I built a laser using this diode one with a BE and one without a BE 3X .. Some pics
And I only set my SXD driver to 4A .

Rich:)fullsizeoutput_950.jpegfullsizeoutput_899.jpegfullsizeoutput_898.jpegfullsizeoutput_896.jpegfullsizeoutput_974.jpegfullsizeoutput_972.jpegfullsizeoutput_973.jpeg

Very nice build and yes we can make use of the GBall diodes while keeping the GBall intact, who knows if the next new GBall might be the strongest visible laser diode yet.

Last edited:
Hi Red, I am very impressed with the performance of this diode . Glad I took the chance to go for them, might just up the driver to 4.5A and see what the diode will do, First no BE and then I will add the BE for differentiations in divergence and output. Maybe the g balls will get better in the future fingers crossed.

I received a couple of these LD's. When testing to just make sure they work (20mA in 12mm modules), I was surprised by how long the beam pattern is with just the stock g-ball. The width is very tight. Are all 450'ish g-ball LD's like this? Wondering if holder for normal G2's, 3E's, etc lenses truncates the beam length.

Some are quite near focused and those will work well with a beam expander and the GBall intact.

The coupler should just touch the top of the GBall can and usually I will push my 12mm module back into the heatsink, but if not then a collar with a hole to fit the sanuw adaptor would look good and provide a solid base.

collar.JPG

Hi Ima4,
RED is the guy you want to answer your questions about divergence. He does a lot of testing with diodes. And he is familiar with the NUBMOA. I have them from a bank and all do well with a G Ball . if you want add a 3X BE they do great .