Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

NUBM41T1 interior break down

If they will get desoldered during removal of the diode from the array base, then I think it would already have desoldered already during manufacture? :)

Is what your saying when the manufacture bonded the diodes to the array base heat spreader that it would have desoldered the die then if it was indium for the die.?

Is that what your saying.?

If so yes, exactly my though and why i mentioned that todays dies are really no longer bonded with just pure indium.:)

Usually now adays what they use Indium for is to bond diode or diode sub mounts to larger heatsink blocks heat spreaders or TEC's etc.

Like these Examples of some of the diodes ive opened:
P3190029_zpsurrivrko.jpg

P3190016_zps63uqixrh.jpg

P6050069_zpsldrajcnm.jpg

especially for diodes that dont have something that compresses or clamps down on them, indium would be the best and only way to bond them to the array heat spreader. Thermal adhesive IMO just wont cut it.

Also as a side note guys. These Nichia block mounts i was doing research on Dilas laser a long time ago "un related to these Nichia blocks" when Dilas first came out with the 40W 638nm and 40W 450nm blue lasers and found a write up with this image in it. I cant remember where the write up is but i saved the picture:
10W for each array. So 4x = 40W out the 400um Fiber.
ImageForArticle_838%283%29.jpg

Similar in design i would think I had another image that showed this array at another angle but i cant find it. But i remember the diodes where mounted similar to the OP's.

I actually almost bought a used one of these above and a used one of the 40W 638nm module awhile ago but the case condition on one of them was terrible and they wanted too much for both of them so i passed on it since they dint want to split them up.

Pretty cool though. How is the beam quality on these diodes. Are they the same as the 3.5W NDB7K75?

DTR

Seems there are versions with regular cans on the diodes out there.

ngHWZK.jpg

hrJk3D.jpg

LPM maxes @ 6.8W so not sure how high it actually went but with 4.5A and a G-2 lens it maxed it out.
7jiGo1.jpg

Jstr

Woah. That's a ridiculous amount of power. Anything on wavelength? I don't know if you have access to a spectro, but can you say anything about where it is relative to the other 462nm diodes?

DTR

Woah. That's a ridiculous amount of power. Anything on wavelength? I don't know if you have access to a spectro, but can you say anything about where it is relative to the other 462nm diodes?

Well if like the other NUB diodes they would not be that high maybe 455nm. Had several of the NUB ones spectroed a few months back and they were around 455nm.

Fantastic! Are you going to sell those?

Probably. I am doing a power test now look for a thread going up today called 6W 445nm V1 diodes.

DTR

It will take a few minutes to finish processing but this diode is clearly doing well over 7W but I will call it 6W till someone can take the testing further than I have. In this video I show how my meeter is maxing out. @ 4.5A it does 6.8W and I ran it for about two minutes @ 5.5A with the meeter pegged at max the whole time never a drop in reading so it has to be doing much more than that.

That's great!

BTW, pointing that much power at your Ophir without a heatsink for that long is probably bad for it. Will at least throw off the readings as the heat spreads to the internals. It lowers the readings, I guess.. that diode should be even more powerful!

If you want to test it higher all you need to do is increase the voltage supply (both + and -) to the Ophir. with +-15V you should be able to read at least to 10W.

One last question - how bad is the beam?

Pman

Don't remember how high you can go on the Ophir. Might have the information at home but traveling right now to get back there. Another 1.25 hours to go. Believe I'm in the same boat as Jordan.

The datasheet I have here says +-5V to +-18V for the 20C. Never tried anything that high, though.

Edit: how is it supposed to meter up to 20W if the maximum reading is at most 2V below the actual split-rail voltage? Strange.

Last edited:
Any chance you can scrape a tad of the weld material onto the tip of a soldering iron to see if it melts at solder temperatures? If so, we could probably use a toaster oven to desolder the diodes.

Said process would also desolder the die, no?

i had a feeling that putting a highly sensitive electronic component in a toaster would be bad...

but cool diodes here! these crazy multi-watt ~450s are coming out of the woodwork!

What is the divergence of the NUBM05T ?
I see they are likely as powerful as the NUBM44, 6 watts @ 4.0 amps is what I read in a thread at PL and being they have the Gball lens I wonder if the divergence is more like the NUBM07E ?

I have searched and can not find divergence info, I can find the blocks for sale but divergence is specked with the Gball on.

Last edited: