Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

NUBM31T 95W 455nm

I REALLY don't think you're going to get them focused that tightly. The variability in the pointing direction isn't low enough. 2 or 3 mm focal size might be more viable.

How have you arrived at this magical 0.9mm, and what exactly are you trying to do?

WizardG

LPF Site Supporter
I'm guessing the world's most powerful LEP flashlight. If you could actually get that array focused on a 1mm spot (skeptical) it'd be a helluva thrower!

likevvii

Thank you for your advice. I really appreciate any input you have.

I have a crystal phosphor that produces white light when 445nm wavelength light hits it. This phosphor is very high efficiency and can withstand well over 50W/mm^2. I want to be able to focus at least 50W into 1mm^2. I apologize, the "0.9mm" was just a random number I picked that is under 1mm.

The reason why i want to do this, I like building high intensity flashlights/spotlights. LEDs can not compete with laser phosphor technology so here I am :D

Edit: Not sure if you guys see it too; Those Acebeam W30 laser flashlights ads are exactly what I am making basically. Lol

WizardG

LPF Site Supporter
lol So I guessed right! That must be very high efficiency phosphor indeed. 50 watts pumped into a 1mm bead of most materials ....well most things would melt or vaporize

I hope you succeed, that would make a whole lotta light. You'd give those nightsun xenon lights some competition!

likevvii

Haha yes you did. Unlike other phosphors that are powder or ceramic, this is literally a crystal cut from an ingot and precision grounded very flat and finally, etched with micro pores. Costed me a fortune to get them.

In the coming weeks, I hope you guys can help me out with some questions I cant find the answer to. (;

Last edited:
Hi,
I do not know what kind of phosphor you have but when I dismantled projectors I tried to make green light by putting phosphor wheel (one like you can find in ebay) into the focus of KE-block (I think it was one from M130). So less than 50W for sure and pretty badly focused by the end lens there. This phosphor wheel burned in less than a second like it was a piece of wood. And in that moment I understood why the wheel has to rotate!!! And maybe even be cooled down by one of fans there. When it stays still, the focus dot is in fire.

About tight focusing from parallel beams. We still do not know how parallel beams from these buttefly arrays are. No LPF member has posted a spot picture yet from 31T. The thing is new, we need to wait for someone to investigate it like I once did with a NUBM08 block.

And yes, I made a spot at 5m from 08 block after cylindrical correction of all 8 beams and then combining them. You can find it searching LPF. Was burning the white wall like hell even if not all beams were well collimated.
I also focused those beams (just after cylindricals) at 200mm distance to burn holes in lollopops. But do not have pictures. Sorry.

I would like to know how the chips are sealed under the gang lens of these multi emitters.
Is it the gang lens that seals in the backfill gas or could the 20 element lens be removed without exposing the chips to the air ?

It's not as simple as pointing 100W at 1mm of this magical rock claim to have. The thermodynamics just don't work. Even if this magic rock can convert 90% of the light, that's 10 watts of heat in 1mm of marginally thermally conductive material. Heat sinking optics isn't as easy as you seem to think it is. I don't suppose you have a datasheet for it that can give more insight?

likevvii

Yep, I don't fully believe it too. But It exists and I must find out!

I tried as much as I could to suck information out, but I received very vague answers. All I know is that it can withstand above 40W mm^2. And theoretically infinite laser power if kept cold enough like using liquid nitrogen. Thermal management is key. The crystal is soldered to a copper pad for great thermal performance.

From responses, I am certain they are intentionally holding data tests from me for many understandable reasons. I'm not from a large corporation or not signing any NDAs.

I am left on my own to test things out myself. I just got the NUBM44-V2 today from DTR! My first laser ever XD
Focused to maybe around 0.25 x 0.25mm and at 4W that gives me a power density of 100W/mm^2.

I bought some peltiers to play around with, and am now looking around at cylindrical optics to get my output more square.

When I figure out how much the crystal can withstand, ill purchase either the Osram PLPM4 450 (65W) or the Nichia 31T (95W).

___

I have so many questions to ask from TECs, optics, to measuring spot size. How and where should I start the thread to get the best exposure for people to help me with? Should I make a new thread for each? Or maybe just ask here lol.

WizardG

LPF Site Supporter
"I have so many questions to ask from TECs, optics, to measuring spot size. How and where should I start the thread to get the best exposure for people to help me with? Should I make a new thread for each? Or maybe just ask here lol. "

How about here: https://laserpointerforums.com/forums/flashlights-leds-other-lighting.66/

Be careful with that '44. No second chances if you get flashed in the eye with that much power. Wear the right goggles!

This could change the portable cnc. If it cuts thin metals, this would have a great application.

That gang lens does a better job than I expected but it's still 20 beams each diverging and they appear to be ever so slightly angled to center, I would much rather have a single emitter at even ¼ the power but this is likely the way things are going in the phosphor pumped DLP market.