Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

NUBM0F WOW....

I just received my 1st re-canned NUBM0F and WOW !
Shipping time for me was 10 days including the weekend, so only 8 business days, not bad.
I knew it was going to be good when it topped 6W @ 3A
It just cracked 8W @ 4.5A and hit 8.6W @ 5A and HELD STEADY !!!

This is my 1st NUBM0F and I just ordered more, but this a test group of 1 so I will repore again when the rest arrive.
This is with a G2 lens from Barnette Unlimited.
FYI my brand new old stock NUBM44's from DTR never read any higher than 7.2W @ 4.5A

SANY7198.JPG
SANY7201.JPG
SANY7202.JPG
SANY7205.JPG

The divergence is the same as NUBM44, NUBM08 ( without the GBall ), NUBM47 which is a thin bar about 48mm wide @ 5 meters with a G2 lens.

I am interested to see what the re-canned 465nm NUBM0G will output, Gryphon has one on the way IINM.

EDIT: I pushed a bit more and got 8.8W @ 5.2A and just cracked 9W @ 5.7A but I think this is pushing the diminishing returns, it does a very solid 8W @ 4.5A and 8.6W @ 5A and I then without any cooling down I checked 3A again and got 5.93W and cracked 6W @ 3.1A so that's with a little heat in it.

I would think 5A is a good quasi continuous duty current as we like to push our laser diodes...... That said I'm thrilled to have just seen 9W from a single 9mm blue.

Last edited:
Nichia is out of the laser diode business!? Thats news to me, I've always found their name to be synonymous with laser diodes.

Yup, my recanned NUBM0G should only be a couple more days away. I have a feeling it will probably yield results similar to what loreadarkshade had found with the JLD470.

I'm sorry, I meant that Casio is no longer making laser based data projectors which was originally the reason for and our source of relatively inexpensive multi watt blue laser diodes, hopefully others will continue to evolve AV lasers for a large market need so that we can enjoy them affordably..... BTW: Nichia will be exhibiting laser technology at an event in Chiba Japan next week.

I hope your NUBM0G yeilds similar numbers, make sure to post your results. :)

Read this about their highest output single emitter..... maybe the NUBC31 ??
We need to get some infi/pics from that event, I want to know what that most powerful single blue beam laser is.

Yep, the NUBC31T is their single emitter blue ( prototype ) listed as 13W @ 8.5A..... I wonder how much it can do when pushed ?

Last edited:

Darktron

Finally you get to test these, efficiency makes great diodes.

Last edited:

Darktron

Read this about their highest output single emitter..... maybe the NUBC31 ??
We need to get some infi/pics from that event, I want to know what that most powerful single blue beam laser is.
Nubc31t is their most powerful single diode.

Darktron

much it can do when pushed ?
Is the same type of newer family diodes ex 0F rated at 5.4W can be pused to 9W+ so I expect nubc31t to be able to do 17W of optical output power given their fV is lower than most blue diodes.

Last edited:

Darktron

8.6W @ 5A
I got a feeling that you need proper diode base plate cooling and a shorty G2. My virgin pin decanned diodes seem to hit a bit higher (almost maxed out my lpm). Or maybe my lpm is just way off need someone to test my pointers without tampering with them... 😁

Most people don't use active cooling in their hand held builds, so testing the diode pressed into my 20mm copper module with solid back half and thermal paste clamped in an aluminum sink is a fair test of what we can expect, sure you can get a little higher number with a TEC sink, but it's not a fair test for the way we use the diodes.

p.s. I also tested a re-canned NUBM0A and a couple of NUBM0E's but did not get as high an output, the 0F looks to be the best of the single emitter NUBM's ATM.... Then again my test sample is small.

Last edited:

loreadarkshade

Nichia is out of the laser diode business!? Thats news to me, I've always found their name to be synonymous with laser diodes.

Yup, my recanned NUBM0G should only be a couple more days away. I have a feeling it will probably yield results similar to what loreadarkshade had found with the JLD470.

You are quite an astute observer ;) They are in fact the same diode. I was hoping to make a few sales all to myself as this diode was newly released but seems like the cat is out of the bag now haha

I should have released its real name right away in hindsight

Darktron

Most people don't use active cooling in their hand held builds, so testing the diode pressed into my 20mm copper module with solid back half and thermal paste clamped in an aluminum sink is a fair test of what we can expect, sure you can get a little higher number with a TEC sink, but it's not a fair test for the way we use the diodes.

p.s. I also tested a re-canned NUBM0A and a couple of NUBM0E's but did not get as high an output, the 0F looks to be the best of the single emitter NUBM's ATM.... Then again my test sample is small.
Interesting this nubm0f in my picture has passive cooling solid copper heatsink is a all in one module. Same way you are doing yours only difference is decanned not recapped good quality thermal paste. Here they have G8 lens which does a easy 8W+ @ 5A. Same slot is used in nichia blocks.1000025616.png1000025615.jpg

Interesting this nubm0f in my picture has passive cooling solid copper heatsink is a all in one module. Same way you are doing yours only difference is decanned not recapped good quality thermal paste. Here they have G8 lens which does a easy 8W+ @ 5A. Same slot is used in nichia blocks.

I like your modules with a pocket for the round drivers..... is it a 17mm round driver board ?
How do you retain your laser diode ? Threaded ring ?
Or are you using a 12mm module head ( diode presses in ) and holding it with that set screw ?