Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

NOW 447nm CNI lasers & GB #11

Just recent responses, as Glenn said some of the earlier people backed out.

Totals:

4x 532 -- (2x PGL-III-C 532, 2x GLP-532)
4x 447 -- (4x PGL-III-C 447)
6x 589 -- (5x GLP-589-1mW, 1x PGL-III-M-589)

14 lasers total...

I believe we can order the 447 nm and green units very soon as we are up to about the right # on those, also, it could be soon, for 589nm 1 mW pens as mrbear is wanting one as well

The number of 447's must be off, as if we need 10 and only have 4 - we aren't that close to placing an order. There must be more orders out there that haven't been accounted for.

It's possible, Adam; these are just the numbers that committed in the forum, some people probably PMed Glenn privately, so we're likely better off than this.

I was just trying to get a minimum total, to get people to say that they're in with this, and help run a total to help Glenn.

Glenn, shoot me a message on GTalk. I know what the address for you to ship to is now. :)

Well, here's a bit of a turnaround from me. Sorry, but I'm pulling out of this GB. Mainly because Don't Laze Me Bro said that he's had trouble with multiple units of the laser I ordered. Said he's on his 7th now, and it just recently died. So I'm probably just going to work up the money a bit and buy a LG Hercules instead, at a higher power than the CNI PGL-III-C.

Glenn, it was a pleasure working with you while I was involved, and I would certainly participate in a future GB with a different laser. The circumstances on this one haven't worked out like I thought they would though. +rep for great customer service.

Last edited:
? Who said they were having problems, I know people who personally own the laser you want no problems, check the forums, no problems, and BTW the hercules is made by CNI, you're getting THE SAME quality, at a fraction of the price.

The_muffin_man and Don't Laze me Bro both received multiple defective PGL-III-Cs, The_muffin_man stuck with it until his fifth bad one I believe, DLMB went for seven.

Edit: But the Herc is actively cooled.

Mine and RA_Pierce's have worked fine... and I think Oikos got one around that time too, and it worked fine, as well.

I have *6* PGL-III-Cs... I did have one die, and CNI fixed that no problems at all, went real smoothly actually. But 5 of those so far, including my 532-400, no problems.

I've actually seen more problems with Hercules units than PGL-III-C... and the price on those things is... heart stopping. c_c

Last edited:
? Who said they were having problems, I know people who personally own the laser you want no problems, check the forums, no problems, and BTW the hercules is made by CNI, you're getting THE SAME quality, at a fraction of the price.

Can't edit my posts on thiis stupid phone butttt Payment sent for my pen :) hope the stuff comes soon

Honestly, I think the 'bad run' of PGL-III-C-532s was a while ago... The ones coming in lately have been overspec and pretty solid... The guys who had their run of bad luck, admittedly, was quite a bit ago... If you look at the last GBs 8-10, Glenn explains in the header posts that the quality's back up to spec...

.. I doubt you'll have a problem, really.

All right... Well, can we have a show of people who have the CNI PGL-III-C >300mW who have had no problems with theirs? I'm tentatively back in, if I can be reasonably sure that I'm not going to go through hell with this laser.

Also, if I'm back in, I'd probably upgrade my order to 500mW. Just can't pay the difference until next week, but I'd pay the extra. :D

Well, me, for one. But only a few will be posting in this thread. RA_Pierce, Oikos, myself, and I know of a few others but - honestly, fewer people have had problems than haven't.

If it comforts you at all though you can look at how many CNI lasers I have, and how many are PGL-III-Cs, too. :)
(Short answer, I've got 12 CNI-built lasers, and have had problems with one...)

Last edited:
Well, the difference with the quality would lie more in the diodes and crystals instead of the host I think, but you do have a point with how many people have had good ones. Plus my two CNI pens seem to be very well made... All right, so I'll jump back in this. Just one more question: Does CNI make any 532 units in the PGL-III-C host beyond 500mW? I know officially they don't, but unofficially?

If not, I'll upgrade to the 500mW. Beyond that, I'd have to see what the prices are like.