Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Not FS: "Cold Metal" - 2.2W Dual Mode 445 Build, w/ G1 Lens

rhd

"Cold Metal" - 2.2W (2200+ mW) 445 Build

This is a heavy duty build. Large host, large heatsink, beafy construction. With it's included G1 lens it LPM'd at above 2.2W on my LaserBee, and displays a peak on my Ophir sensor during the first ~20 seconds of its duty cycle that is nearly 2.4W (2400mW). What I love most about this build however, is it's dual modes. On high, you get the 2200mW+, but on low mode (cycled via the clicky) you get in the neighborhood of 500mW instead. As you can see from the attached LPM graphs, it is a very stable laser (due largely to its massive heatsink).

attachment.php

This build runs on either 2x 16340 or 2x 18350 cells. I always recommend buying AW IMRs, and they make them in both sizes. The build uses a custom 1085-based driver, and includes a G1 lens, as well as a custom focus knob.

attachment.php

attachment.php

LPM on HIGH mode:
attachment.php

LPM on LOW mode:
attachment.php

Price is: $325 + shipping. I only ship via fully tracked and insured methods. Please PM me for a shipping quote.

You MUST own laser protection goggles appropriate for this wavelength, and
You MUST be over 20 years of age, and
You MUST be familiar and experienced with the appropriate safety precautions to take with lasers of this power.
You MUST NOT be a resident of Canada

This is not a laser pointing device. At all times, protective laser safety glasses appropriate for this wavelength must be worn by the operator. This laser should not be used around 3rd parties (non-operators) pets, or for any recreational purpose.

This laser is meant to be used as a portable laser light source for rough calibration of systems that require a high amount of laser light as an input. This laser's purpose is to serve as a reference for high powered laser light, not to exceed a maximum of 10W.

Attachments

• aa Front Beam.jpg
    aa Front Beam.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 498
  • aa Side beam.jpg
    aa Side beam.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 500
  • aa Side.jpg
    aa Side.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 486
  • LPM High.png
    LPM High.png
    114.6 KB · Views: 471
  • LPM Low.png
    LPM Low.png
    118.3 KB · Views: 471
Last edited:

Re: FS: "Cold Metal" - 2.2W Dual Mode 445 Build, w/ G1 Lens

So question - how did you do the modes on this one? Are the modes here built into the tailcap? Very curious!

Last edited:

rhd

So question - how did you do the modes on this one? Are the modes here built into the tailcap? Very curious!

They are. The mode magic here is all in the tailcap. It's a neat approach. LOW mode provides roughly 400mA of current.

Ooo, neat! I think the one I have coming in soon has that sort of ability too. Maybe we'll start seeing more of these mode controllers in the tailcaps? Would make for sleeker designs, methinks!

LaZeRz

Most of the two mode lights on DX are using a resistor in the tail-cap ;)

PS: Nice build as always Rhd ;)

rhd

Ooo, neat! I think the one I have coming in soon has that sort of ability too. Maybe we'll start seeing more of these mode controllers in the tailcaps? Would make for sleeker designs, methinks!

I actually don't think they're mode controllers. I'm presuming it's just a three-way switch with one channel introducing a diode in series with the current path to drop additional voltage, and thus force a lower intersection point on the IV curve of the LED (or in this case the LD).

It's actually a fairly interesting solution, if that's what they're doing. It's kind of like introducing a higher Vf artificially.

mikeox

Great build once again! Will sell fast! Good luck.

sinner

this is one efficient laser.. :beer:

rhd

this is one efficient laser.. :beer:

It is efficient. But in fairness to the forum, we're seeing a lot of good efficiency these days.

What I like most about this build, is its stability. That's what impresses me. The output really locks on and holds it better than most builds I've metered. It's almost on par with the "Saber" builds I did.

sinner

yes, i did meant that same thing..stable, apparently i used a wrong word for it!!

sesam

nifty and nice build, thanks for the tip on a diode in series to get lower power,
I will try that in some coming build.:gj:

I will +rep when I am allowed

Last edited: