Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Not FS: 300mW MXDL Open Can Lasers!

Re: FS: *300mW MXDL Open Can Lasers With Heatsink*

I received my laser today in the mail. However, I was pretty surprised to find that the laser wasn't turning on at all. Once I checked the batteries, though, I found the problem. The batteries were dead, and I hope the laser wasn't powered on somehow through transit, but the laser DOES work with some 3.6V CR2's. This laser is amazing, although I'm sure these cells are limiting it, and I have to wait for my charger from DX.

jayrob

UG0TB4NN3D said:
I received my laser today in the mail. However, I was pretty surprised to find that the laser wasn't turning on at all. Once I checked the batteries, though, I found the problem. The batteries were dead, and I hope the laser wasn't powered on somehow through transit, but the laser DOES work with some 3.6V CR2's. This laser is amazing, although I'm sure these cells are limiting it, and I have to wait for my charger from DX.

Hmmm...you are the second person that has reported back that the batteries were dead. This is strange to me. These batteries can sit for at least a month. Maybe it has something to do with altitude, or the x-ray machine. When we buy them new, they are not charged.

Anyway, thanks for posting back. If there is some problem with those batteries not holding a charge or something, let me know, and I will make good on them...
Jay

jayrob said:
[quote author=UG0TB4NN3D link=1204144556/144#145 date=1213112041]I received my laser today in the mail. However, I was pretty surprised to find that the laser wasn't turning on at all. Once I checked the batteries, though, I found the problem. The batteries were dead, and I hope the laser wasn't powered on somehow through transit, but the laser DOES work with some 3.6V CR2's. This laser is amazing, although I'm sure these cells are limiting it, and I have to wait for my charger from DX.

Hmmm...you are the second person that has reported back that the batteries were dead. This is strange to me. These batteries can sit for at least a month. Maybe it has something to do with altitude, or the x-ray machine. When we buy them new, they are not charged.

Anyway, thanks for posting back. If there is some problem with those batteries not holding a charge or something, let me know, and I will make good on them...
Jay
[/quote]

Ship the batteries not in the laser but in an anti-static bag. this will ensure the laser doesn't turn on and your batteries are protected from any charge...

just a tip

Well, faulty batteries won't make me think any different of this laser. Haha. It's amazing. I've got two more sets of batteries, and a charger coming in, and I'll keep these CR2's as a backup for the laser. They've worked great so far.

By the way, would the acrylic lens focus better for burning, or does that apply to the Meredith module only? I'm not very educated on lenses yet, but if the acrylic focuses tighter for burning, I'd like to buy one, if you have any extra.

Thanks. :]

jayrob

UG0TB4NN3D said:
Well, faulty batteries won't make me think any different of this laser. Haha. It's amazing. I've got two more sets of batteries, and a charger coming in, and I'll keep these CR2's as a backup for the laser. They've worked great so far.

By the way, would the acrylic lens focus better for burning, or does that apply to the Meredith module only? I'm not very educated on lenses yet, but if the acrylic focuses tighter for burning, I'd like to buy one, if you have any extra.

Thanks. :]

I didn't do a lot of comparisons with your AixiZ glass lens. I just put it in and tested the power output. It was 8mW's more power than the AixiZ acrylic.

Then I tested the match burn at 5'....Awesome! That alone told me that it burns just as good or even better than an AixiZ acrylic. But again, I did not do any further testing... Maybe someone else can chime in here about this question.

One thing, if you decide to try an AixiZ acrylic, you must first cut the plastic off of the back of the lens. See here:
http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1207011306/24#29
I don't have any extra lenses, but they are very inexpensive and you can get the whole module with lens at Stonetek:
http://stonetek.org/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66&products_id=191
Also, with an open can diode in an AixiZ module, it is possible that the spring can damage the diode. Especially if the plastic on the back of the acrylic lens has been cut away 'rough'. It can make the spring twist during install and/or removal. So be careful about that...
Jay

Alright. If I do get an acrylic lens, I'll be sure to make the cut smooth, and not rough.

chido

I'm holding an aixiz module with an open can right now and I honestly don't see how the spring can damage the open can once it's placed correctly, there just isn't enough space inside the aixiz module for the spring to twist or something so that it can damage the diode.
Now if the back of the lens isn't cut smoothly then it might be possible that a piece of plastic can sever the tiny golden wires in the middle of the diode, but you would have to do a very bad job when enlarging the hole to leave a piece of plastic large enough to reach the center IMO.

jayrob

chido said:
I'm holding an aixiz module with an open can right now and I honestly don't see how the spring can damage the open can once it's placed correctly, there just isn't enough space inside the aixiz module for the spring to twist or something so that it can damage the diode.
Now if the back of the lens isn't cut smoothly then it might be possible that a piece of plastic can sever the tiny golden wires in the middle of the diode, but you would have to do a very bad job when enlarging the hole to leave a piece of plastic large enough to reach the center IMO.

I've never damaged one with the spring, but it seems to me that I remember reading of someone who did.

The top of the LD is exposed inside the AixiZ module...Who knows what that spring looks like when it is compressed and 'twisting'.
Just saying, be careful...
Jay

jayrob

Daniel L., I got your $160 dollar build done! It will be in the mail tomorrow. (Monday)
Daniel L.jpg

* Sony Optiarc open can diode.
* AixiZ acrylic lens. (plastic cut away)
* 420mA's (DDL driver)
* 242.1mW's

I have a little dot of white paint marking the 5' focal point.
Holding very steady at that power reading. It's a good build, I'm sure you will like it! Please get back to me when you receive it! :)
Jay

some new pics showinf what Jay's design is capable of. I know that a discette isn't maybe very impressive as a laser victim but this will give you some idea what you are into as a new owner.

Attachments

• P1010952-mini.jpg
    P1010952-mini.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 94

jayrob

Man dude! Puddles of melted plastic! :cool:

Hey, I got that charger in today, and charged up those batteries. They're fine, and the laser is so much more powerful now. Can't wait to see what else I can burn. Lmao.

PEZ

Are you using a Senkat diode in these builds?

jayrob

UG0TB4NN3D said:
Hey, I got that charger in today, and charged up those batteries. They're fine, and the laser is so much more powerful now. Can't wait to see what else I can burn. Lmao.

Good deal...Yeah, the DDL driver will drop out at that current setting very quickly without the 3.6 volt batteries...

PEZ said:
Are you using a Senkat diode in these builds?

These builds are using the 'long' open can diodes @ 420mA's (normally).
The Senkat diodes are the best for the price. Especially if you are not comfortable with harvesting a diode from a DVD drive. But I personally would keep those to 300mA's or maybe 350mA's. You will still need to use a good heatsink in there...
Jay

I sent jayrob an email today for a quote, so I figure this would be a good place to introduce myself...first post etc. Back in the late 70's early 80's I had a Heathkit Laser Trainer, that was sold by my parents at a garage sale after I moved out...for $5 :'(. Have had many laser pens, firearm sights etc over the years. I stumbled on this site a few weeks ago doing a search for green lasers etc and was looking at one from Optotronics, when I saw the MXDL builds by jayrob. With all the glowing reviews, and the professional replies to questions made me want to give him my business. I'll just hold off on the green for the time being...

jayrob

Screwdriver, welcome to LPF! If that was you that e-mailed me for a quote on the 115D/Meredith acrylic/FlexDrive option, then I can see that you have done your homework! That is the very build that I have for my personal red burner.
Thanks for looking!
Jay