Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Not FS: 300mW MXDL Open Can Lasers!

Re: FS: *300mW MXDL Open Can Lasers With Heatsink*

What would be your guess of the average life of this laser running at 420ma and 470ma(for the pioneer and for the sony)?

Jayrob - what is the Silicon diode you used with the flex drive ? Is it a 1N4000 series ? Thanks ! Oh - and your Kenomater-Kryton shipped out today, BTW :D

jayrob

GamerBR said:
What would be your guess of the average life of this laser running at 420ma and 470ma(for the pioneer and for the sony)?

Quite honestly, these builds are still fairly new at this power. So far, I have not heard anything bad. The only reason we are getting away with this current, is the thick heatsink. If the user is careful to use a conservative duty cycle, the diode will last longer. But I have heard of some who are leaving it on for 5 minutes at a time!

This is why I guarantee the build, but not the LD. I have no control over how it is used/abused...

SenKat_Stonetek said:
Jayrob - what is the Silicon diode you used with the flex drive ?  Is it a 1N4000 series ?  Thanks !  Oh - and your Kenomater-Kryton shipped out today, BTW :D

Greg, it is a 1N4001 silicon diode which was recommended by Lava. His drivers are built for a 5.5 volt max supply. The diode reduces the voltage of the pair of 3 volt lithium's some...

I sent your package out today too![smiley=thumbsup.gif]
Jay

I will take one with the glass lenses,pioneer laser and at 470ma.At the builded laser,are the batteries included?If so I prefer to take U$7.50 out of the total - for a not usual reason: our customs tend to sometimes open packages,not usual for such a small one,but I don't want a blind customs officer and my laser confiscated ::)
Please send me the paypal invoice with the total value to yurilfsr at gmail.I will want it shipped by USPS First Class.

Changing the subject,did you ever think about putting a tiny fan on the laser body near the heatsink?It won't spend much energy,and as this laser is supposed to run on rechargeables,I don't think anybody would care :D

jayrob

GamerBR said:
I will take one with the glass lenses,pioneer laser and at 470ma.At the builded laser,are the batteries included?If so I prefer to take U$7.50 out of the total - for a not usual reason: our customs tend to sometimes open packages,not usual for such a small one,but I don't want a blind customs officer and my laser confiscated  ::)
Please send me the paypal invoice with the total value to yurilfsr at gmail.I will want it shipped by USPS First Class.

Changing the subject,did you ever think about putting a tiny fan on the laser body near the heatsink?It won't spend much energy,and as this laser is supposed to run on rechargeables,I don't think anybody would care :D

Ok, for the Pioneer 115D, Meredith glass lens, 470mA driver MXDL without batteries, the total is $208 plus shipping.

Please PM me your shipping address and I will calculate the postage for First Class International (it will be around $10 bucks) and then send you a PayPal invioce to yurilfsr@gmail.com

With this shipping method, I will mark the package as a 'gift' with a description of 'LED flashlight', and a value of $15 dollars.
No insurance though...
Jay

jayrob said:
[quote author=GamerBR link=1204144556/108#116 date=1211932043]I will take one with the glass lenses,pioneer laser and at 470ma.At the builded laser,are the batteries included?If so I prefer to take U$7.50 out of the total - for a not usual reason: our customs tend to sometimes open packages,not usual for such a small one,but I don't want a blind customs officer and my laser confiscated ::)

Ok, for the Pioneer 115D, Meredith glass lens, 470mA driver MXDL without batteries, the total is $208 plus shipping.

Please PM me your shipping address and I will calculate the postage for First Class International (it will be around $10 bucks) and then send you a PayPal invioce to yurilfsr@gmail.com

With this shipping method, I will mark the package as a 'gift' with a description of 'LED flashlight', and a value of $15 dollars.
No insurance though...
Jay[/quote]
I can't send PM's yet,I e-mailed you my address to the e-mail of your website.

Jay - I TOTALLY missed that thread ! NICE WORK ! I have some tiny-tiny Peltier's sitting here...was thinking about adding them to the Sonar Case, but I dunno....maybe a project for a few months from now ? :p

jayrob

SenKat_Stonetek said:
Jay - I TOTALLY missed that thread !  NICE WORK !

Thanks Greg! As you can see from the pictures and stuff, I put a lot of work into my 'Ice Box' laser. It really works nice. I've got a separate adjustable driver for the peltier, and one for the LD as well. The fan has a 5 volt regulator for it...
Jay

Woo! 320mW laser has arrived ;D

My preliminary review, just for potential buyers scouring this thread, is that this is one heck of a laser. Professional companies out there just don't sell lasers like this.

Beautiful and solid build. Plastic melting, paper burning beam. Instructions, not with lame diagrams but PICTURES :eek: :eek:

My suggestion is to anyone looking for a solid red burner should buy one of these :) You won't go wrong.

This weekend I'll write up a full review for this laser, and I'll also do a comparison between the 2 lenses, so stay tuned for that :)

jayrob

Murudai, I got your PM that the LD has died. Very sorry to hear that. I presume that you have checked the batteries? I have had a battery go bad on me before. (the circuit protection) Read full charge, but didn't allow enough current when using it in my laser or flashlight. I thought it was a dead LD, but it was the battery.

Yours is the first that I have heard bad news about.

I want to point out to everyone, that from the beginning, I have recommended 420mA's. And that 470mA's is pushing the open can diodes very hard. Even with the thick heatsink. From time to time I have reminded people of this in my thread:
http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1204144556/108

That said, since this is the first case I have heard of, I would be happy to change out the LD for you (this once). You would pay shipping. Or, I will send you a new LD (not harvested from it's stock heatsink) In this case, you would have to remove the LD from the stock heatsink, and clean up the pins.

Please understand, I am not guaranteeing that the LD won't die for these builds. Even at 420mA's. (and will not be sending replacement LD's) It is a very solid build, that is designed for easy access to replace the LD if necessary. The driver is built and mounted very solid, and should never need to be removed. Build quality, heatsink design....these are what you are paying for. The LD is a relatively inexpensive part of the build (compared to the time, and care that I put into these builds), and can easily be replaced by the buyer if necessary... Or, I would rebuild it for you. You just pay for parts and shipping.
Jay

jayrob

GamerBR, your laser is done:
GamerBR.jpg

Pioneer 115D
Meredith glass lens
470mA's
318.6mW's

I am shipping today...
Jay

Those are really nice Lasers :) Maybe one day I can afford one.

daguin

thejunkmonger said:
Those are really nice Lasers :) Maybe one day I can afford one.

This is NOT to disrespect Jayrob's builds. They are phenomenal! They are MUCH better than most "professionally" built lasers.

HOWEVER

You, Sir, are quite capable of building your own! **harumph**

Peace,
dave

daguin said:
[quote author=thejunkmonger link=1204144556/120#125 date=1211989781]Those are really nice Lasers :) Maybe one day I can afford one.

This is NOT to disrespect Jayrob's builds.  They are phenomenal!  They are MUCH better than most "professionally" built lasers.

HOWEVER

You, Sir, are quite capable of building your own!  **harumph**

Peace,
dave[/quote]

Ha we will talk about that when it's finished, I decided to thread the two set screws by hand at lunch yesterday and i was in a rush only had 10 minutes, needless to say they are crooked. Anyway they are staying like that because I really don't feel like building the laser all over again. I'll post some pics in my thread as soon as the shame passes..................

jayrob said:
GamerBR, your laser is done:
Pioneer 115D
Meredith glass lens
470mA's
318.6mW's

I am shipping today...
Jay
Nice ;D.I've sent you an e-mail,please check it.