Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

NOSPIN 5W with ARG Data Logging Add-On

First off I would like to thank Nospin and ARG for being patient with me as I figure this out. Both had to send me replacements parts for things I fried when I carelessly shorted out the entire meter and the ADC. So THANK YOU I would be helpless without your support.

Now lets get to it!

First off is the bracket I made to hold the Arduino inside of the Nospin case.
This was made out of sheet metal and just spray painted black.
20130315_143035_zps342537c0.jpg

Underneath of the Arduino is covered in electrical tape and then clear packing tap to hold that down so it doesn't short out with the case.
2_zps18227560.jpg

Here is the Arduino bolted to the bracket. Front part is intentionally left unpainted for the glue. I used stand offs from radio shack to lift the Arduino up a little bit off the bracket. Had to shave some of them down to fit right next to the headers.
20130315_143223_zps7da9c949.jpg

Front panel gets some hole for status LEDs
5_zpsd7eb0718.jpg

Green is a constant on and indicates that USB power has been applied to the Arduino. I have it set up to only come on when the USB is conected. That way its not on if Im not using the data logging. Red one is flashing when the meter and Arduino are powered.
20130315_191538_zpsa9797615.jpg

Bracket being glued to the case with Gorilla Glue. Which I will never use again because it took forever to dry and was foamy. Maybe I did it wrong, who knows. This was the only place I could fit the entire set up. The back of it actually sits on top of the front panel display.
4_zpscc04714e.jpg

Testing the LEDs as the glue dries. Caught the red one as it flashed.
7_zpse8acac11.jpg

After all night the glue was finally dry. The LEDs plug directly into the headers on the Arduino. ARG wrote me custom code for this to work.
8_zps34ebe72d.jpg

Back panel of the meter. You can see how close it would be to the top of the case. Hence the need for the tape shielding.
9_zpsb65db23c.jpg

Finally after a long time waiting. Completed.
10_zps9a55a68f.jpg

Looks pretty clean to me!
11_zps45ca2f15.jpg

As always, no explanation here. Protect your damn eyes!!
12_zpsd017741d.jpg

Quick snap shot.
13_zps8fd7d4a7.jpg

As you can see I still have to figure all this out now. Peaked around 400mW. Would have climbed slightly higher if I let it go. But this was a test of my set up more than the laser. Also could not export the graph, had to screen shot and crop. Not sure what I did wrong there but I will have to play with it.
14_zps68172872.jpg

Last edited:

ARG

Good job! That's a really nice install job there, very clean! Everything from the mount to the status LED's was well put together. :)
I really like those status LED's you put in there as well, if anyone else wants their with LED's let me know and I'll give you the same code that I wrote for Speedy.

For Peregrine you can go to Measurement>New (set the test name, threshold and duration)> then after the duration of the test it up you can export a graph as an image. :beer:

+rep to you when I can :yh:

When I click export nothing pops up to save it. Its like the button is dead. I will re install it and try it again.

thats weird because the only time it does that is when you don't complete your laser test.

I have it set at 60 Sec. After that the graph wont move forward anymore. I shut off the laser and then try to export and nothing.

well sorry i'm not quite sure what is make it do that. Trevor will have to help on this one. could be something to do with the new update, haven't got a chance to try it out yet.

Nice clean job.

What are the two 14 pin IC sockets for in the 6th
and 8th pics of the 1st post.. :thinking:

Jerry

Last edited:
Jerry.
One is for the split rail power supple for the Ophir and the other is the regulator for the front panel dispaly. They are absent in these pictures because I fried them a while back :( Had to have nospin send me replacments. Good thing the ophir was fine!

Blord

Another self made Ophir LPM. The build is looking great !

Trevor

When I click export nothing pops up to save it. Its like the button is dead. I will re install it and try it again.

Graphs can only be exported from a managed test ( Measurement -> New ). Monitor mode cannot export a graph, nor can a graph be exported when a measurement is stopped manually.

Just to test, start up Peregrine, and drop down the Measurement menu. Select "New." Set the test to a small number, 5 seconds or so, set the threshold at 0, start the measurement, and let it elapse. You should see "Finished" show up in the status bar below the graph. At that point, try to export a graph.

If the graph still will not export, look down at the status bar to see if Peregrine is giving an error.

Export will likely get somewhat redesigned in a future build. I think I'm also going to have more critical statuses come up as message boxes, so that they're harder to miss. I realized rather late in the design process that most people probably aren't going to have their eyes glued to the status bar. :eek:

Any additional feedback would be highly valued. Peregrine is supposed to be by the community, for the community. Thanks for helping make it better!

Trevor

why not encase the OPHIR head inside and then make a little slit where you can open when you use it the LPM something?

I actually have that planned out, but I have no idea where to start... cos I have never actually DIY EVERYTHING from the ground up before...

Its a good a idea there just isnt any room. Plus I like being able to have the head at different hights to match the hight of tripods and what not for extended test. Or to get down low for my argon or f-mount diode.

Its a good a idea there just isnt any room. Plus I like being able to have the head at different hights to match the hight of tripods and what not for extended test. Or to get down low for my argon or f-mount diode.

Keeping the OPHIR head clean and dust free is gonna take another box tho

If you don't start merging your stuff together
Sooner of later, you'll have a wall of drawers full of bit and pieces ;)