Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

NOOB Looking for a laser!

Hi all, im pretty new to the laser community, I purchased a 5mw 532nm laser from ebay and I think im hooked now. Ive been doing a lot of research but still cant find a laser to buy. I bought a cheap 30mw 532nm laser from ebay and im not satisfied at all. Ive been looking at some of the lasers from rayfoss.com because of their prices. I am not looking to spend more than $200. I want a laser with a very visible beam that is on the thicker side. Just something that looks very cool. I was thinking about ordering the 1w blue laser from rayfoss because of how thick the beam looked. It is also focusable which means I can burn many things, right?

Blord

Those 1 Watt laser are way too dangerous for playing. Read the safety posts in the 445nm forum. If you insist buying one do invest in goggles. The burning point of these laser are too bright too see with bare eye.

goggles should always be considered mandatory. but realistically any thing over 5 mw. also remember to read the ratings of the goggles. they aren't universal meaning they are made for specific wavelengths. there are broad band ones but always read. also pay attention to the "od" rating. the higher the rating the better they will protect you from said wavelength.

michael

Rafa

>NOOB
>1 Watt
Does not compute.

Get a rayfoss 150mW green.

MojoLA

Yet another "hi i'm a noob what's the most powerful cheapest laser I can get to burn stuff with?" post.

Can't we come up with a name for these people?

Maybe pirates... as they will inevitably lose an eye...

Blord

We are all noobs at one time in our lives :)
Just show them the right way in the amazing laser world.

MojoLA

There's a difference between being a noob and DECLARING you're a noob so you can try and get away with being an idiot and having everything spoon fed to you without doing any research or work yourself.

Morgan

Maybe a, "n0-b", as one eye, (or, "0"), is gone?

To be fair, to ask a question like... "How about a 600mw 445nm laser? Would goggles be necessary for that?"... does imply that they are not going to know what 1 Watt, (or 600mW), really means. These are no different to the questions that have been coming up for ages from the uninitiated. It just so happens that we have easy access to Class IV now and the advertising has drawn more interest than ever. This is still a n00b, (sorry, a n0-b), question however you lo-k at it.

The answer for the n00b is to read and educate themselves. I mean, an introduction in the, "Welcome", section would be nice, huh?

M
:)

MojoLA

It's pretty obvious what happens... some n0-b reads about the Arctic (or sees a YouTube burning video), types "burning laser" into google and gets a link that leads them here.

Then, instead of taking even a few hours to learn about it, they figure "I'll just say i'm a noob and then i'll be forgiven for not knowing anything" and they post the infamous question.

There should be an FAQ that is directed towards everyone who posts that question. Something like "so, you've just seen something cool that makes you want a laser, so you naturally have decided to try and find the highest power, cheapest laser you can get..."

And so on to explain why that's a bad idea and what they SHOULD do.

Here's the image for n0-bs:

Attachments

• LaserDanger.jpg
    LaserDanger.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:

Morgan

And your first laser was a what MojoLA? Ah yes, an Arctic. "People who live in glass houses...", and all that... Seems you didn't do enough reading before ordering either.

http://laserpointerforums.com/f39/wts-apyder-arctic-3-updated-lower-price-55781-2.html#post794827

The FAQ suggestion has been brought up many times but after only being here a month yourself, you're only a n00b too. After just two posts, it is not possible to be anything but a n00b. It quickly becomes apparent who is going to, 'fit in', and who is not but it is too early to tell at this stage for zo6daniel.

Hopefully they will take the opportunity to introduce themselves, and now do a little reading to start off a potentially great new hobby.

M

MojoLA

My first laser was NOT an arctic. It was a 5mw green. Since then, i've gotten a 30mw green, 150mw green, 200mw red and 10mw 473nm.

And still no arctic!

And there is a big difference between simply being a nubie and being a N0ob. Nubies are just new, noobs are idiots.

Last edited:
I really like the 'pirates' idea! Freakin' Piratez! :crackup:

OP: I just got my 2 pairs of goggles. Hi, I am a noob, and I don't want a 1W laser... Please try to take the advice of the forum and read/search/learn. I personally recommend 2-4 weeks of total research before making any purchase decisions.

Morgan

My first laser was NOT an arctic. It was a 5mw green. Since then, i've gotten a 30mw green, 150mw green, 200mw red and 10mw 473nm.

And still no arctic!

And there is a big difference between simply being a nubie and being a N0ob. Nubies are just new, noobs are idiots.

Since you like bashing n00bs so much, I think I'll have a try...

Owning 5 lasers makes YOU an expert does it? Don't make me laugh. You haven't even been a member for a month yet so I should pipe down if I were you.

If your first laser ordered but not recieved was not an Arctic, why did you post this in another thread. A n00b mistake? Or just a convenient lie. Lying won't get you anywhere.

Quote from the link I posted above -

"If everyone is so down on the Arctic and WL in general then why so they sell so quickly?

My Arctic 3 Spyder is supposed to ship this week and before I joined this site I was pretty excited about my first laser (I had been thinking about getting a laser for a while (I'm you basic sci-fi nerd, so its one of those must-have items) and I admit all the light saber hoopla sucked me in) but ever since reading all the bashing here, I'm worried I made a bad choice.

... SNIP "

Had you done the, 'learning', that you so vehemently think wasn't done by this new member then you may have understood the problems of the Arctic and built your own, but I guess buying the most powerful, cheapest laser out there was easier, huh? Oh, that brings me to another point you made: Short cutting. You claim this new member has just declared he's a NOOB to get away with not reading. He's got two posts. How on earth can you make such a claim?

This guy has at least had a couple of lasers before. First, it was a 5mW green. Since then, he's got a 30mW green... In a month's time I reckon he could have a 150mW green, 200mW red and 10mW 473nm. What do you reckon? He could even have gained enough knowledge to build a >1W handheld himself before you ever get to see your Arctic.

There is no difference between being a nubie and being a n0ob. They both imply inexperience, lack of knowledge, or simply are NEW to this site. Anything you knew, or thought you knew before joining counts for sh*t in post #1. Respect is gained from that point on, after which you can gain experience, share your knowledge, and become established as a useful and contributing member. Nubies can be idiots too but sometimes they stick around, and then they are just idiots.

M

Last edited:

MojoLA

Like I said, there is a big difference between being a nubie and coming on here with your first post and asking for the "cheapest, most powerful laser I can get?"

I'm surprised you don't see that.

The main reason I bought the Arctic was because with all the negative publicity, I thought they might be forced to stop making them and it would be worth a lot of money. THAT'S what pushed me over the edge, because I knew it's so powerful, what can you really do with it?

After I knew there would be a long wait, I read and learned and have picked up a few lasers since.

I never came on here claiming to be a n0ob and wanting a "cheap, powerful laser so I could burn stuff."

Those are the idiots i'm talking about, not just anyone who's new to the forum. And if you don't think those guys are morons, then you have a lot more tolerance than most.