Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

No longer WTB: C Mount 5W 650nm Laser Diode

I think I have found a diode...thanks for the help everyone!

Hi everybody!

A couple years back a certain number of big C-mount red laser diodes hit the hobby market and since seem to have disappeared. I checked DTRs shop and it seems these are no longer sold. I regret never messing around with these so I am currently seeing if I can find one to play with. Does anybody here have an unused c mount red that they would sell me? If so, please PM me with your price and we can work from there!

Last edited:

Re: WTB: C Mount 5W 650nm Laser Diode

Bump! Anybody have one of these to let go?? :)

Apparently these were notoriously fragile. IIRC, several people had them die after 'normal' use (i.e., not severely overdriving them), which was not fun, given the ~$400 price tag.

I think this is why Jordan stopped carrying them (and why you might not find many around). You may want to check with him, though.

rhd

Apparently these were notoriously fragile. IIRC, several people had them die after 'normal' use (i.e., not severely overdriving them), which was not fun, given the ~$400 price tag.

I think this is why Jordan stopped carrying them (and why you might not find many around). You may want to check with him, though.

I think those deaths were simply due to the use of buck drivers normally meant for 445s. People forget that the 650s have substantially lower Vf, making the in/out voltage differential on the buck driver several times larger (from say 2V, to more like 4V). That probably doubles the output ripple.

The 650 C-Mounts probably should have had drivers made specifically for them. FWIW, if anyone still has access to these diodes, I'm fairly comfortable that my Edge Driver would be a safe way to drive them. Coupled with the MOD-C modules (of which I still have a few), these diodes should be very usable.

Thanks everyone for the input! I am currently in contact with CSO for a diode, so we will see how that goes. rhd, I may have to pick up one of those drivers from you if I go through with my c-mount purchase. I do not plan on doing a handheld build with this beast so I'll probably just drop it in one of those generic c-mount labby housings.

rhd

Thanks everyone for the input! I am currently in contact with CSO for a diode, so we will see how that goes. rhd, I may have to pick up one of those drivers from you if I go through with my c-mount purchase. I do not plan on doing a handheld build with this beast so I'll probably just drop it in one of those generic c-mount labby housings.

I'll make one up. What current would you drive it at? I'd be interested in reflowing up a driver now, and sending it to someone to test the cleanliness of its output, at 650nm diode voltages. Even if you don't end up using it, that's fine.

Hmm just took a look at Angelos' first power test video and he got ~4W @ 4.5A. That's probably the current I would go with, but honestly my knowledge on these diodes is limited at this point. Plus, I have to make sure I'm actually going to buy a diode from CSO! Thank you very much!! How much do you want for the driver??

Last edited:

rhd

Hmm just took a look at Angelos' first power test video and he got ~4W @ 4.5A. That's probably the current I would go with, but honestly my knowledge on these diodes is limited at this point. Plus, I have to make sure I'm actually going to buy a diode from CSO! Thank you very much!! How much do you want for the driver??

Two more questions:

1) Do you know the Vf of the diode, roughly, when run at 4.5A?

2) Do you have a scope? If so, I'll just send you the driver. But if not, I'll see if I can find someone to volunteer to scope one.

His test showed a Vf of 2.5V @ 4.5A.

I don't have a scope on hand, but I can get one from the labs. I'll be honest though, I'm about to jump into a crazy month so it may be a bit before I can get a test done! And thank you very much!

rhd

His test showed a Vf of 2.5V @ 4.5A.

I don't have a scope on hand, but I can get one from the labs. I'll be honest though, I'm about to jump into a crazy month so it may be a bit before I can get a test done! And thank you very much!

No worries. I want to change a couple things on the driver to be more effective for lower Vf red diodes, so it will take a while to get the new PCBs.

rhd

Edge Driver, version code F76V# is designed for low Vf sensitive diodes.

I'll test it on a 4W IR C-Mount when I get a prototype board in (if I forget, and someone is reading this thread a month from now, feel free to remind me).

Last edited:

rhd

Edge Driver 650 tested and working :)

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_20150419_181132.jpg
    IMG_20150419_181132.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 1,101
  • IMG_20150417_232600.jpg
    IMG_20150417_232600.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 544
  • IMG_20150419_181359.jpg
    IMG_20150419_181359.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 552
Last edited:

Please let me know when or if I can buy some of these drivers, tks.

rhd

Please let me know when or if I can buy some of these drivers, tks.

I don't sell drivers.

However, if you'd promise to scope it and share the results (good or bad) publicly, I'd be happy to give you this one. I don't have a scope, so my "blind" assertion that it's an incredibly clean output may be naive. I would be happy to put that naivety to the test ;p

I can scope it for you if you tell me that parameters you want it set to. I might be able to get you a used scope at work, I think they are tossing a couple soon. What MHz minimum do you need, if you want one?