Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

No longer for sale

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all

The time has come after much thinking for me to list my 589nm "Spartan" dragon laser 589 for sale. As you most likely already know these take a single 18650 battery and chuck out a gorgeous yellow/amber line of light.

The (brief) story with this one is as follows:-

I bought it from member "gismo" in February 2015. I couldn't find a thread as it turned out we transacted entirely via PM, after I showed interest on one of his other threads. This is his original review: https://laserpointerforums.com/threads/gold-is-good-589nm-dragonlasers-50mw-experience.89690/

Unfortunately the photos have long since disappeared into the memory hole, but I distinctly remember his LPM measurements showed it overspec at around 80mW. However I do not own an LPM (it's something I never got round to owning, then life got in the way) and as I can't actually verify 100% what gismo's LPM measurements were I am effectively selling this as a "50mW" unit, although I am confident that even now it should still be at or over spec.

I am selling because for the last 3 years the laser has barely left its box and I think it's time it was sent to someone else to enjoy.

The light and dot are clean and sharp (for a handheld 589) with some slight visible mode changes as it heats up if you really try hard enough to see them. It's really quite stable compared to the 593.5nm pen laser I had before it which was nothing short of hilarious in cold conditions!

I have attached some photos (all taken just now, not old ones!) - the one with the dots on the wall was taken from 355cm away and the dot is between 0.5 and 0.8cm depending on the mode change, which it did just as I took the photo. I don't know whether that's good or bad, but I know it can be used to calculate divergence which will be of some interest to buyers. I have never once used the laser and felt that it diverges badly, but then I know little on the subject.

For clarity neither the green or red lasers are for sale, just the yellow. I would prefer to sell to a UK or EU buyer as it theoretically reduces the chances of it getting seized.

Sale price including all costs of postage and packaging $350, please do not make silly low ball offers as I would rather keep it!

Attachments

• DSC00918_.jpg
    DSC00918_.jpg
    885.5 KB · Views: 39
  • 355cm - 0.5 - 0.8 589 dot width_.jpg
    355cm - 0.5 - 0.8 589 dot width_.jpg
    261.1 KB · Views: 43
  • DSC00917_.jpg
    DSC00917_.jpg
    531.1 KB · Views: 45
  • DSC00920_.jpg
    DSC00920_.jpg
    771.4 KB · Views: 33
  • 355 cm_.jpg
    355 cm_.jpg
    975.6 KB · Views: 31

Good luck on your sale. You may have to reduce the price as DL is selling these units new for $349 :)

-Alex

589 nm is gold to me, such a rare wavelength, been wanting one of those for years but the price for the amount of power always nips me too much, ouch. That said, we are fortunate we can even buy the Spartan 589 pointers, I believe they are the only pointers made at that much power for 589. You can spend 1500 dollars or more for 100 mw at that wavelength in a lab unit, so the price isn't really too bad but what is the divergence?

Alaskan ,
You have a 575 powder coated build, seems to have less of an orange tint than the 589..
Rich:)EAA74281-892B-4DE6-B76B-4F6A8DBBCE7F_1_201_a.jpeg

I'm interested, even though I'm over in the USA!

To calculate your Spartan's divergence, I would need two measurements of the beam size. I have one, 0.5-0.8 cm at 355cm. Can you take another beam size measurement, preferably far away from the laser (more than a few meters away from the aperture)? Across the room or down the hall would be great. Thanks! 🍻

What troubles me is that in the second photo of that laser's profile you see two distinct dots side by side.

I am now withdrawing this from sale.

Deep down I had a feeling I wouldn't be able to let it go, but there is another reason - it seems DL has now stopped selling these handhelds, which changes the market dynamic and potential future value quite considerably. I also don't particularly need the money and the risk of selling it and having it confiscated is too great. In my opinion this is a wonderful example too, nice straight and tight beam. Someone mentioned the mode change being "troubling", which I didn't justify with a response for good reason - these involve a highly complex DPSS process packaged in a small tube with already miraculous results, the mode change while warm after 30s or so of runtime, which isn't even noticeable unless wearing safety glasses to view the dot is really a non-issue.

Sorry to have wasted time but this has made up my mind and I'm keeping this.

It looks like we can no longer lock our own threads so it would be great if a moderator could perhaps on my behalf?

Status
Not open for further replies.