Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

No longer available

Re: Guidesman #2 Host Kits and Driver Heatsinks **MANY customized options available!

I can make yes. Just let me know. As far as the driver heatsink goes, I leave them tight, press fit unless asked not to. This is nice for people who do not have thermal adhesive to set it in place. I will probably stop doing this unless I can find very cheap, small sized bulk buy files to include in the kit. This way people can file the sides down.

Re: Guidesman #2 Host Kits and Driver Heatsinks **MANY customized options available!

No need for the files. Sandpaper or like I used, a dremel works fine. Took me all of 2 minutes tops. I made mine a little smaller since theres a lip in the inside of the host body, and I ended up chopping the pill to make more room, so the driver heatsink wasnt all the way down until i shaved 1-2mm off the diameter. either way 2 minutes of my time and it works perfectly for the way i like my host.

Rest assured I will make a review when I can pull some money out of my u know what and get a diode.

Reactions: rhd

jakeGT

I will be needing one of these veryyyyyy sooon!

jakeGT

Double post and bump for relevant question

The internals are EXACTLY the same as the guidesman correct? I need to use 2x 16340's and the driver heatsink ray. Just want to make POSITIVE it will work

the pill area is identical to the guidesman...the heatsink is a tad bit smaller but still much larger than the hostlights heatsink. theres plenty of room in the battery compartment for 2X 16430's... the spring is like 2.5cm long...if it gets too tight you can always just compress the spring and then use a butane torch to make its shorter. Im probably gonna go 2 18350's with my guidesman2. still waiting for those diodes from DTR... I cant wait to see how stable this thing will be with the driver heatsink.

rhd

I've found that the traditional guidesman, with driver thermal epoxied to the heatsink, and 2x18350 batteries, is the most stable linear driver setup I've found. Essentially, you hit the duty cycle limit of the diode, long before the IC will complain.

jakeGT

Well I won't be putting 1.5A in it or anything. More like 320mA for a special 170mW 635nm diode you guys may have heard of ;)

rhd

Awwww, very nice :)

Driver heatsinking will be crucial here for sure, because your IC (or driver PCB) will be dissipating nearly an entire cell's voltage. Having said that, at 320mA, the actual wattage of that dissipation will be much lower.

By really rough math, you're probably looking at needing the driver to dissipate around 1.25W of heat with the 170mW 635nm build, as compared to more like 4.75W of heat with 445nm running at 1,500 mA.

ahhh im soo jealous...I must save up the $180 for that 635nm diode... rhd, what did you spectrograph said the WL was at when pushing 200mW??

rhd

ahhh im soo jealous...I must save up the $180 for that 635nm diode... rhd, what did you spectrograph said the WL was at when pushing 200mW??

If you own a spectrograph, I'm jealous of YOU!

I don't have one unfortunately, having said that, this diode simply doesn't put off a lot of detectable (by the time it's in a host) heat.

I'm actually starting to question my previous results, because it has occurred to me that some of the higher (near to 400mA) test results had very low batteries by that stage. Once my possessions arrived and I get settled here, I'm going to sell most of my remaining 445s, and use the proceeds to buy (and then push further) another 63133, as wells as a 6388 to push to 300mW.

Having said that, a really fun thing to do with (to) the 63133 is pop the head of your laser on an icecube for 10 minutes or so. The wavelength does drop ever so slightly, and the beam becomes, again, ever so slightly, brighter. (or it might be a placebo effect ;))

I suppose we should stop thread-jacking Ray. Although if this guidesman gets a 63133 treatment, it will certainly do Ray's work justice :)

In an effort to gather some quick funds, FREE shipping within the USA for the next week or two.

jakeGT

Getting one of these on monday

In an effort to gather some quick funds, FREE shipping within the USA for the next week or two.
I don't know if today still qualifies as "...for the next week or two," but I placed an order today. I think the checkout page showed shipping charges, but I'll go with whatever works. :beer: The host looks great.:bowdown:

Ed

Until I get caught up with a bunch of custom work, there will be up to a 10 day lead time on these hosts. Should not take that long if you order right now, but there is a slight possibility. I need a life outside of work and "work".

All caught up! Lead time is back to normal. 48 hours or less.

jakeGT

You probably won't see it for a while. He said he wouldn't be here very much anymore, IF at all.