Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Night photo 700mw BDR S06J-12x-405nm Blu-Ray Laser Pointer

Night shot of my DTR purchased 405nm Blu-Ray Laser.

Although I cannot see the beam very well day or night, my cell phone camera is sensitive to this frequency and picks it up well. A photo I took tonight outside my front door (my laser power meter measures 850mw but I am not sure I believe it). I'm using a S1 lens in it. The camera shows the beam as very blue while with my eyes I see only violet.

NOTE: I CONSIDER THIS A EXTREMELY DANGEROUS LASER. The reason is it will burn instantly, I won't even leave it in the house without the battery removed (host has no key) and I only have myself and my wife living here, no children ever visit. Any laser at this power level is dangerous, but this thing just seems wicked in how fast it burns.

700+ mw BDR S06J 12X 405nm laser diode from DTR: https://sites.google.com/site/dtrlpf/home/diodes/s06j-12x-405-diodes

The S06J is a 5.6mm 405nm laser diode with a max suggested current of 450mA. @ 450mA they will average about 500mW with a three element lens or 700mW with a G-2.

Edit: Current vs voltage test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=HlGbNjsmMGg - More you tube videos near the bottom of this threads page (page 1).

405nm_zps78584643.jpg

With the naked eye the beam is like 10 times or more fainter, probably closer to 20 times fainter.

Last edited:

Re: Night shot of my 700+ mw 405nm Blu-Ray Laser Pointer

I find that my 1W 405nm sometimes shows blue with our small digital camera and sometimes it picks my 445nm up as more of a violet colour depending on what settings i change,
Im geting my Fiance a DSLR D3300 Nikon camera for Xmas so ill have to Try some beam shots with that!
405nm is very trippy for the eyes to focus on... probably need something stupid like 6W of 405nm for a solid looking beam
anyway thankz for Sharing!

The spot from a 405nm laser looks white-blue to me but through the air the beam looks violet, certainly when pointing into the night sky it is a faint violet. Would be interesting to see if a better camera might show closer to violet instead of blue. This thing is more like a burner than the other lasers I have because it is so quick to smoke things, far quicker than even some IR diodes I have. Also, I've said this before but repeating it, IR diodes are difficult to focus for a distance because you can't see anything, this is on the other end of the visible spectrum from IR, but you can see it well enough to focus it easily on a spot and burn something far across a room.

nice pic, its true that cameras are sensitive to some lasers like 405 my cellphone also makes my 405 way brighter then it really is.

your sigfile distracted me from the OP, its actually 'a problem discovered....' but google has it wrong/misquoted and who's paying attention anyways, right? :thinking:

Hey nice purple beamshot, love that color! ;)

:beer:

Last edited:

Yea i did notice my 405nm burns the crap out of everything too, even compared to mass power of my 3.5W 445nm but it has more to do with the fine focus of the 405nm and worse divergence of the 445nm,
You can pop Balloons from like 6 metres+ with a good 405nm!

Thaks for posting these pics Laserproject. I ordered a 400mw 405nm last week. I was a little disapointed when you said yours is hard to see the beam but I got it more for playing with my uranium glass.
Does anyone know if a 400mw 405 will pop ballons or burn stuff?

I'm betting it will do just fine for both of those, just have to hold it with a steady hand. I think it has a lot to do with what RYDorDIE278 noticed too, you can have a fine needle focus at a great distance with that laser, more focused to a point at distance than many other lasers of different wavelengths. I don't know the physics to explain why, just that I've observed it to be so.

Last edited:

can't wait until we're sharing pics of 2W 405s.... :drool:

:beer:

32X Blu-Ray diodes to come? I'm waiting for the price of a 1 watt 520nm diode to get down to 50 bucks each so I can make a multi-diode pointer out of them, hope it isn't a long wait, but I expect a matter of years. In the mean time, I want to buy one sometime soon, within the next few months.

NWFreeFly: I accidentally negged you tonight when trying to give a plus rep, I don't know how I did that, I didn't realize it at the time. I tried to get it fixed but admin can't fix it. If someone will put a positive rep in for him to put him back on par, I'd appreciate it.

Last edited:

Heh... the host looks like a stielhandgranate m24.(it's just me?)

acf58722-9ab8-430f-a14a-31210a8fc3dc_zps0499282f.jpg

Last edited:

kilter

Heh... the host looks like a stielhandgranate m24.(it's just me?)

For the guys who don't know, here is a stielhandgranate m24

Hand Grenade

Last edited:

kilter

32X Blu-Ray diodes to come? I'm waiting for the price of a 1 watt 520nm diode to get down to 50 bucks each so I can make a multi-diode pointer out of them, hope it isn't a long wait, but I expect a matter of years. In the mean time, I want to buy one sometime soon, within the next few months.

NWFreeFly: I accidentally negged you tonight when trying to give a plus rep, I don't know how I did that, I didn't realize it at the time. I tried to get it fixed but admin can't fix it. If someone will put a positive rep in for him to put him back on par, I'd appreciate it.

Guess you were negging someone earlier :D:D:gun:

I had to google it to see what it was myself, earlier. love your cat.

By the way, I went in to work tonight and looked at this thread just before leaving and the photo I posted of the 405nm laser outside at night appears mostly violet on that computer screen, on my laptop no hint of violet to be seen. Appears it depends on your computers screen or maybe color settings whether the hue shows up correctly or not too.

Edit: Nope, wasn't negging anyone. I confused white with black as a selection and with my tendency to be ADHD and poor eye sight without reading glasses, I suppose one or both was the reason I didn't see the error.

Last edited:
This is why 405nm is so dangerous. I have a 1W 405nm from blord! It doesnt look the brightest, but oh man!!! If i focus on anything within 10-15 feet it will smoke instantly. I love the color but the dim spectrum is so dim to our eyes!
I can ignite a white match at over 15feet. I rarley pull it out for i feel I am going to hurt myself with my eagles on!
awesome beamshot. glad you were able to capture it!