Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

News scares me!

mattmagic100 said:
[quote author=Balisong link=1235490904/0#11 date=1235647487]Dark horse, why dont we start a group of responsible laser enthusiasts here and create a website to help legitamize ourselves. Then we write a letter to congress(or someone else) with all of our signatures attached saying we want to help hunt down these criminals without this hurting our hobby or "privately funded research".

Thats a really good idea! but how are we gonna get everyones sigs?[/quote]

We are talking international, so I doubt signatures would help a whole lot, which goverment would you petition? But maybe just registering as an organization with members that are devoted to the positive promotion of lasers, maybe some community-education, and of course, saftey-education, focusing on responsibility of the user, "grass roots-style".
I'll admit, this would be a challenging endeavor to say the least, not even sure were to start. I not quite the "General-type", but I could provide a powerful support-role. I was hoping we had some more suited individuals here on the forum, (professional organizers, lawyers, lobbyists, etc.). Maybe it was just me being too fired-up about the possibility of more restrictions on our great-hobby and a frustration with having idiots make it so that responsible people are included with the "nuts". Also I would love to genuinely add to the science-education in general.If anyone has any ideas, let us know.
Sincerly,
DH

Dark_Horse said:
[quote author=mattmagic100 link=1235490904/0#12 date=1235684778][quote author=Balisong link=1235490904/0#11 date=1235647487]Dark horse, why dont we start a group of responsible laser enthusiasts here and create a website to help legitamize ourselves. Then we write a letter to congress(or someone else) with all of our signatures attached saying we want to help hunt down these criminals without this hurting our hobby or "privately funded research".

Thats a really good idea! but how are we gonna get everyones sigs?[/quote]

We are talking international, so I doubt signatures would help a whole lot, which goverment would you petition? But maybe just registering as an organization with members that are devoted to the positive promotion of lasers, maybe some community-education, and of course, saftey-education, focusing on responsibility of the user, "grass roots-style".
I'll admit, this would be a challenging endeavor to say the least, not even sure were to start. I not quite the "General-type", but I could provide a powerful support-role. I was hoping we had some more suited individuals here on the forum, (professional organizers, lawyers, lobbyists, etc.). Maybe it was just me being too fired-up about the possibility of more restrictions on our great-hobby and a frustration with having idiots make it so that responsible people are included with the "nuts". Also I would love to genuinely add to the science-education in general.If anyone has any ideas, let us know.
Sincerly,
DH
[/quote]

Well DH, I'm not a lawyer or professional organizer. But we do need to protect our hobby from those who do not respect it. On an international basis we may not be able to do much, but nationally with an organized group we can show we do not support the actions taken by the individuals who do not care about other peoples lives. It simply is not tolerable to allow such bovines the ability to ruin our hobby because they want to shine their cheap pointers at oncoming aircraft. Now the whole paper thing was just a starter, im sure as a whole we can come up with a plan to help stop the proliferation of "Plane pointing" and other wreckless actions taken by these criminals. Any one with any ideas please post them so we can make a difference and protect our hobby!

Dark_Horse said:
I'll admit, this would be a challenging endeavor to say the least, not even sure were to start. I not quite the "General-type", but I could provide a powerful support-role. I was hoping we had some more suited individuals here on the forum, (professional organizers, lawyers, lobbyists, etc.).

This reminds me of a scene from an old movie (www(DOT)youtube(DOT)com/watch?v=WINDtlPXmmE&feature=related      you'll need to replace (DOT) with a period I have under 10 posts sorry.). Organizers, lawyers and, lobbyists are not the most important parts of a movement to change a governments thinking, people are. In most cases it doesn't matter if you have lawyers and lobbyists without people backing your side (or loads of money) nobody is going to listen.

BTW first post: found this site when I found out I couldn't buy a burning laser here in the states due to an import ban. so looks like I'll be making one.