Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Newcommer here doing something stupid with co2 lasers

Saltyjack

Ok, first off I'm just going put this out there, as it says in the thread, I am completely and totally new to the world of lasers. That being said, I know that what I am doing is ridiculously stupid and dangerous, but that's why I came here, to make my stupid project slight less dangerous for me because of this way unlike my exploration into other fields of physics(mostly magnetics and I still have a constant reminder as to why you don't use extremely dangerous things with no knowledge of them because of my last project). That being said my first question, is could a visible laser have a destructive interference with a co2 laser(this is because I want something to guide my co2 laser, because deadly and invisible are two things I don't want to have to deal with), and the stupider of my two questions being, if you had to say, a stupid amount of extraneous co2 tubes and power supplies left around, could you focus them through biconvex lens, and then a biconcave lens directly before the focal point in order to converge multiple co2 lasers into 1 more powerful and more condensed laser?

WizardG

LPF Site Supporter
May I also suggest a bit of reading up on the hazards of high voltage if you plan on playing with CO2 lasers. The power supply for one of those tubes can be just as dangerous as the beam. Electrocution is just as permanent as frying your eyes.

Saltyjack

May I also suggest a bit of reading up on the hazards of high voltage if you plan on playing with CO2 lasers. The power supply for one of those tubes can be just as dangerous as the beam. Electrocution is just as permanent as frying your eyes.
Oh don’t worry, the constant reminder from my last project that I mentioned in my question was from when I decided to build a high power railgun with absolutely no electrical engineering experience. When I was trying to setup my capacitor bank for prof of concept tests, I didn’t realize that when one of my alumnum bars fell off its stand, it ended up landing on the positive terminal of my 25% charged capacitor bank. When I then went I go pick it up I accidentally touched the other aluminum bar which was already screwed in to the negative terminal, instant I did the current managed to burn right through my(probably somehow fake) rubber gloves, and ran a current right through my hand. Needless to say this ended up being ridiculously painful but luckily all I ended up getting where two burn, and no obvious permenant damage.

So you're well aware that what you're doing is highly dangerous. Now read the guide Encap linked to - you can't combine beams with lenses at the focal point.

Encap

Yeah I was hoping these would, but unfortunately, these tubes are on the cheaper side and do not

Really you should make a Welcome thread in the Welcome sub-forum -please do.
What is it you want to accomplish/do, why/purpose, and budget for same?

So far all you have said is that you are an accident looking for a place to happen and have no idea of what you are doing/want to do or why.

Maybe you should have a look at the link below. At least you would gain some knowledge about lasers in the real world--what they can and can't do--how they interface and so on.
See: http://panoptesv.com/SciFi/LaserDeathRay/DeathRay.html

Most importantly study Laser Safety--an excellent site covering many aspects is here: http://www.laserpointersafety.com/

Be aware that permanent ocular damage and/or blindness can occur from laser hit ---happens in less than 0.25 seconds/blink reflex time.
See: https://laserpointerforums.com/threads/hit-in-eye-with-1000mw-445nm-blue-laser.69469/

Read the "sticky" threads in several forums to gain a handle on some aspects of lasers.

Last edited:

Anthony P

In the past, I have used 2 line generator diode lasers to target CO2 beam. One vertical, one horizontal, placed on positioning jigs near the CO2 aperture. They are adjusted individually to coincide with CO2 beam. Cross hair generator will not work due to parallax.
Like others have said, safety first!

In the past, I have used 2 line generator diode lasers to target CO2 beam. One vertical, one horizontal, placed on positioning jigs near the CO2 aperture. They are adjusted individually to coincide with CO2 beam. Cross hair generator will not work due to parallax.
Like others have said, safety first!

That's alot of extra work....I just put one next to the tube and used a pair of mirrors to put it on axis with the co2 beam. the one in the sight of the CO2 beam was on a slider, so I just slid it out of the way once i was ready to use it. simple. just have to make sure it's all on a rigid base that's well machined. there's other ways, but that's by far the simplest.

Anthony P

That's alot of extra work....I just put one next to the tube and used a pair of mirrors to put it on axis with the co2 beam. the one in the sight of the CO2 beam was on a slider, so I just slid it out of the way once i was ready to use it. simple. just have to make sure it's all on a rigid base that's well machined. there's other ways, but that's by far the simplest.
Good idea. I might try that.
Usually to line up lenses and targets I just clip a card near where I want lens, burn a hole, and place lens in front of hole.

Sumfinclever

I'm not so sure it's bad you're brushing up on your Chinese. Generally I reserve judgement on people doing stupid things because I'm not immune to stupidity myself, but generally it happens without my being aware of it. However, it sounds like you're about to do something that while challenging and potentially dangerous isn't particularly "stupid", so as long as you're taking safety precautions, you should be ok. You do have a good pair of goggles rated OD5+ for 10600nm right?

That said, I actually have what might be a WAYYYYYYYYYY easier solution for you. There's a couple Chinese companies manufacturing co2 tubes with an integrated red diode for pointing. I was looking at getting one of these for a 150W DIY cutter I'm designing currently. Here was the first link I could find at a quick glance. For what it's worth, I don't know what the quality of longevity would be, but it's probably worth investigating. Best of luck.

Classic 10000 hour 100w visible red dot CO2 laser tube

Have you seen the worn-out look jeans?? They pay MORE for those than new?? WTH??

well that trend may be popular for a long time so.... why not profit while one can.
This months Photonics Spectra came today and our friend there Autumn has another great article. They are funny or very interesting and on the last page.

In 90 seconds a Co-2 laser can duplicate the end result that formally takes at least >20 min. uses chemicals that need to go someplace--OR by hand with sandpaper etc- dremel -- AND can do other intricate designs -- and thrift shops are almost giving away jeans. some 1$ --

I can reprint it here if any want to see it.

hak

Have you seen the worn-out look jeans?? They pay MORE for those than new?? WTH??

well that trend may be popular for a long time so.... why not profit while one can.
This months Photonics Spectra came today and our friend there Autumn has another great article. They are funny or very interesting and on the last page.

In 90 seconds a Co-2 laser can duplicate the end result that formally takes at least >20 min. uses chemicals that need to go someplace--OR by hand with sandpaper etc- dremel -- AND can do other intricate designs -- and thrift shops are almost giving away jeans. some 1$ --

I can reprint it here if any want to see it.

hak

sounds interesting

Also sounds like a good way to make lots of $$.
so two kinds of 'green' (the technique is environment safe. )