Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Newbie Here: Can Anyone Point out a First Burning Laser?

Joey07

I was gonna make one, until I realized it would not be very powerful and much to difficult for me. I wasn't sure where to post this so I felt "Reviews" was appropriate. Soo... I'm thinking of getting a burning laser, probably to the extent of popping balloons, lighting a match and other simple things like that.

I've seen 200mW green ones (which I hear are best...?) for as low as $80 or so. Is there anything else I should take into account? Also, could you give some reviews on the cheapest ones for my use?

I was hoping to be able to pop a balloon without a cheesy magnifying glass when it's like, 3-5m away...
Also, whatever you post for ideas, could you say the general info such as how far it goes, burning capabilities and anything else that I might find helpful??

Once again, I'm a newbie so I am just trying to find my way around...

Joey07

@laserlands

I'm really confused. What mW level is that laser you are selling?
It says different levels in a few different places.

Joey07

Just out of curiosity, why are some 200mW green lasers for example a lot more expense than others? Like why are the "professional" ones any different from any other 200mW green lasers?

I see yours is less than $100 when some 30-100mW are already more than $100.
Is there any big differences between yours and say, a Spyder III Pro?
The Spyder III Pro 5mW is already $20 more than the one you are selling. I'm so confused on these differences... :can:
I still feel in the dark...

D

Deleted member 8382

It's imposible that a pen laser delivers 200mW of green light. It's more likely near 100mW. An spyder III features high quality components while this is the cheapest of the cheap options. It's like why a 150CV BMW is more expensive than a 150CV ford ;)

You can start with a 200mW green laser for about 150$ or a 200mW red laser for about 45$. Making one yourself is only worth it for blu ray lasers, and for under 60$ you'll have a 100mW bluray burner, it's really easy.

Look on O-like.com or rayfoss.com ;)

Yours,
Albert

Hallucynogenyc said it best! After doing about a month of researsh I just purchased the 200mW Green Torch from Rayfoss.com for only $150, this is the best deal your gonna get for a decent quality high-powered laser that will do what you want it to. :)

Unless you want a Red one, which are much cheaper in cost, but not nearly as pretty and bright ;)

D

Deleted member 8382

I'm repeating this advice so much that I'm thinking in making a guide so it gets sticky and I can blame the noobs for not reading it :crackup:

I'm repeating this advice so much that I'm thinking in making a guide so it gets sticky and I can blame the noobs for not reading it :crackup:

Go for it!!!

as far as a first burning laser, I would suggest starting with a 200mW red from o-like. The beam won't be as bright as the green but it will provide you with sufficient burning power at a very low cost. Also the 200mW red's will be alot closer to 200mW than the 200mW green pointers.

Grix

As Nefarious said, if you want only burning power without beam, then you are thinking about the v1 dilda for sure: DealExtreme: $29.53 High-Power 200mW Red Laser Pen (Burns Match + Visible Beam Daytime)

With 3,6 CR2 batteries this will perform over 200mW, enough to burn the shit out of dark material :)

Also, this is the wrong section, this is only for reviews, as the title suggests. I don't really know why you though this one was appropriate? :thinking:

Last edited:

Joey07

That red burner looks good, but the price of that $65 or so green 200-ish mW laser doesn't bother me. Say I found both a red and green 150-200mW laser at, suppose $60 for red and $70 for green, I understand you can see green better, but does that effect the burning capabilities (compared to red) or is it only because of the colours our eyes can see better? 'Cause I want to be able to see it at least relatively well, like I don't want it to just be a crappy dull light that burns, but I'm not sure if the green is worth it for the $10-20 extra.

And sorry for posting on the wrong board, if I need to make another topic, I'll be more careful :D

Also, slightly less related, I'm curious as to what is special about a blueray laser.

Thankss

if your buying from an online store(no matter how credible) the only thing your gonna get for 60 is a cat toy. look around and settle on a quality product you will save in the long run cause you will tire of cheap DX 'crap' and upgrade anyway. look in the company or BST section

As it has been said more times then I can count on here...

Rayfoss.com or O-Like.com for your first burning Laser. Lasers from these company's are the cheapest your going to get that will do what you want them to.

if your buying from an online store(no matter how credible) the only thing your gonna get for 60 is a cat toy. look around and settle on a quality product you will save in the long run cause you will tire of cheap DX 'crap' and upgrade anyway. look in the company or BST section

A 200mW red is definitely NOT a cat toy!!!

D

Deleted member 8382

The problem is that stores that sell 200mW pens for 60$ are selling things that aren't even close to 200mW. Since the label says <200mW, they are technically not lying, but it's not fair. From our experience, the only cheap stores that sell products that are up to the specifications are rayfoss.com and O-like.com (for any green laser above 50mW). For red lasers they are normally all up to specs, so go dealextreme.com and get it for 30$.

Hope this clarified your doubts ;)

^^^Mods seriously need to make a sticky out of your last like 10 post for a noobie thread, you explain very well Hallucynogenyc!!! :D

Either this or start charging noobs for your advice ;)