Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Newbie get duped?

Ponz

I bought a 500mw green laser about 7 years ago and like it. I just ordered a 30,000mw blue laser from China on the cheap. I'm now wondering if such power even exists?

Can this be legit?

Ponz

Yep, 30 watts in a hand held, none yet.... It can be done with a knife edge, I think someone may have made a one-off high power knife edge close to that amount of power and of course don't forget the Styro laser "shot gun", but not a single beam at that power has been made in a hand held unit yet.

That is the ubiquitous Gatling host that is sold by many people in China. It is, without a doubt, one of the worst hosts you can buy for any laser. I doubt it is above 1 watt. Even there it is not enough heat sink for long run times. Run, do not walk, away from this deal.

I bought a 500mw green laser about 7 years ago and like it. I just ordered a 30,000mw blue laser from China on the cheap. I'm now wondering if such power even exists?

Can this be legit?

Ponz
As far as getting duped on 30w yup. As far as a $40 laser it's not bad. I have one. I like it. If you like the gatling style host (I do) I'd say you were duped but not screwed. Just make sure you have the proper safety glasses and do yourself a huge favor by reading the safety thread on this forum. Even though it's not 30w that thing is a powerful laser not to be taken lightly.

GSS

Yes as far as 30W you got duped but for $40 like Crackula said it's not bad at all and probably doing a little over 1W
No it won't burn a razor blade but will burn wood an such pretty good. Iv;e seen these gattling gun types sell for $200 to $300.o_O
Follow a 30 or 40 second on and off duty cycle and it has the potential to last a long time..

Last edited:

Ponz

Yes as far as 30W you got duped but for $40 like Crackula said it's not bad at all and probably doing a little over 1W
No it won't burn a razor blade but will burn wood an such pretty good. Iv;e seen these gattling gun types sell for $200 to $300.o_O
Follow a 30 or 40 second on and off duty cycle and it has the potential to last a long time..

How would I be able to tell, approximately, how powerful it is, without any test equipment? Hopefully, it will at least burn wood easily enough.

Even though their ad has a money back guarantee, it would probably cost me a pretty penny to send it back!

Ponz

Ponz

That is the ubiquitous Gatling host that is sold by many people in China. It is, without a doubt, one of the worst hosts you can buy for any laser. I doubt it is above 1 watt. Even there it is not enough heat sink for long run times. Run, do not walk, away from this deal.

Too late - it's on the way. )-:

Ponz

As far as getting duped on 30w yup. As far as a $40 laser it's not bad. I have one. I like it. If you like the gatling style host (I do) I'd say you were duped but not screwed. Just make sure you have the proper safety glasses and do yourself a huge favor by reading the safety thread on this forum. Even though it's not 30w that thing is a powerful laser not to be taken lightly.

I wonder how powerful or powerless it will be?

Ponz

GSS

How would I be able to tell, approximately, how powerful it is, without any test equipment? Hopefully, it will at least burn wood easily enough.

Even though their ad has a money back guarantee, it would probably cost me a pretty penny to send it back!

Ponz
If it burns a popsicle stick well and can light it on fire with the help of blowing on it like a campfire, it doing 1W for the most part.
Hey Ponz, for $40 it's not a bad laser. Yes some don't like the host and say it is uncomfy to hold, but you can always take the rods off for a better feel in your hand. You "will" be surprised with it's power;)
All that counts is that you like it...

Ponz

Thanks for all the replies. I'll let you know how it is after I receive it.

Ponz