Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Newb needs help

GSS

Swyvel, even if Sanwu has the 3 unit kit in stock, shipping time will be most likely very long with the issues out that way.

DTR sell modules with all top notch brand new diode's, drivers, etc.. all in a copper module.
I would think the best and cheapest would be a blue M140 diode or a blue PLTB450B1 diode/module at 2W+ and connect the 2 wires to one of Lifetime17's ready to go host. He has been here for years and has a stellar reputation.
For example look at the blue 501B host with the Aluminum heatsink in Lifetime17's pic's. Perfect choice or just click on his pic's and you will see many very cheap and affordable hosts..
If your in the US, 2 day shipping usually.
Don't let the thought of putting the module in the host together scare you, and you can always ask for help or have any questions..

Last edited:

Swyvel

This is just one of many ebay sellers that are selling these 301/303 style, 3 pack lasers.

These are as about as affordable as you're going to get, and from what I've found from buying these 3 pack 301/303 lasers myself, is that most of these sellers are fairly reputable.
it wont tell me the mW I don't wanna guess. Unless I'm missing something also had to remove link cause the forums wont let me post links until I'm at 20 posts :(

...ok so, what kind of laser would you like Swyvel?
Well I'm on budget for next few months so may end up settling with a 1 to 5 watt blue laser if its economical. If not a couple 100 mw. Sanwu seems most affordable for a 1600 to 3000 mW blue laser for 80 to 100 bucks. Dunno if getting that power that cheap is safe but really dont trust ebay on high power saying sketchy things in broken English like "MILITARY laser HIGH power" with wrong color wavelengths. I'm a newb but even I can see past many of those. And that guy whining that I say "play" well I'm gonna use safety goggles sorry for semantics, made it clear I'm wanting reliable safety equipment as well. What's best sites for goggles. Seeing a few but want to ensure my eyes are safe

Also any communities on Facebook as well?

Swyvel, even if Sanwu has the 3 unit kit in stock, shipping time will be most likely very long with the issues out that way.

DTR sell modules with all top notch brand new diode's, drivers, etc.. all in a copper module.
I would think the best and cheapest would be a blue M140 diode or a blue PLTB450B1 diode/module at 2W+ and connect the 2 wires to one of Lifetime17's ready to go host. He has been here for years and has a stellar reputation.
For example look at the blue 501B host with the Aluminum heatsink in Lifetime17's pic's. Perfect choice or just click on his pic's and you will see many very cheap and affordable hosts..
If your in the US, 2 day shipping usually.
Don't let the thought of putting the module in the host together, and you can always ask for help or have any questions..
Might be more economical for the higher power as well as opposed to prebuilt

Swyvel

Also any good telegram groups? Getting close to 20 posts lol need em to post links

GSS

Well I'm on budget for next few months so may end up settling with a 1 to 5 watt blue laser if its economical. If not a couple 100 mw. Sanwu seems most affordable for a 1600 to 3000 mW blue laser for 80 to 100 bucks. Dunno if getting that power that cheap is safe but really dont trust ebay on high power saying sketchy things in broken English like "MILITARY laser HIGH power" with wrong color wavelengths. I'm a newb but even I can see past many of those. And that guy whining that I say "play" well I'm gonna use safety goggles sorry for semantics, made it clear I'm wanting reliable safety equipment as well. What's best sites for goggles. Seeing a few but want to ensure my eyes are safe
Sanwu is down for now with no date as to when..
Yes ebay is tricky and not to comforting.. Thor style units use lower quality drivers and mostly used diode's.. They have the "potential" to last though. China sights in general all have shipping issues now, not just Sanwu..
Give Lifetime17 a PM at least to get a idea, theres no commitment just to listen ;)
Rich, "Lifetime17" always gives a LPM reading with his units. A 2W laser is no joke and quite the burner which I think is what he offering.

Last edited:
This is just one of many ebay sellers that are selling these 301/303 style, 3 pack lasers.

These are as about as affordable as you're going to get, and from what I've found from buying these 3 pack 301/303 lasers myself, is that most of these sellers are fairly reputable.

Oh, my mistake. I thought he was looking at the ones that take the AAA batteries. Those can be had three for under $10.00.

Snecho

Swyvel, writing two, much less, Four posts in a row like that is called double, triple, or in this case quadruple posting and many members get very upset about that. Instead, you can quote multiple people by clicking "Reply" on each one you want to quote and it will automatically add it to your message. You can also use "Edit" to add things to one post if you forgot, instead of creating a new one. Hate to be the forum Nazi here but I just wanted to give you a heads up. :)

Now, you said you want either a 3-5W laser or a couple 100mw laser. Those are two very different things. If you want some help, you would have to be a bit more specific i'm afraid.

Swyvel

Swyvel, writing two, much less, Four posts in a row like that is called double, triple, or in this case quadruple posting and many members get very upset about that. Instead, you can quote multiple people by clicking "Reply" on each one you want to quote and it will automatically add it to your message. You can also use "Edit" to add things to one post if you forgot, instead of creating a new one. Hate to be the forum Nazi here but I just wanted to give you a heads up. :)

Now, you said you want either a 3-5W laser or a couple 100mw laser. Those are two very different things. If you want some help, you would have to be a bit more specific i'm afraid.
Sorry I'm used to telegram, discord and Facebook. Havent been on forums much since I was in high school. Back as I havent seen any groups on those platforms. But yes if I can get some nice power that's gonna last years in an affordable package I'll go for the higher power one. It's more a question of what Ill get money wise. Some may be reliable but not strong some may be strong but have heating issues ect. Looking at cost options. Otherwise I might get more around the 100 me range. And I am sorry for breaking rules will be more mindful.

Snecho

Sorry I'm used to telegram, discord and Facebook. Haven't been on forums much since I was in high school. Back as I haven't seen any groups on those platforms. And I am sorry for breaking rules will be more mindful.
No problem man, I'm used to lightning fast texting platforms as well. :) I was just giving you a heads up because the other members really appreciate it. I mean who likes a messy forum? :) No harm done.

But yes if I can get some nice power that's gonna last years in an affordable package I'll go for the higher power one. It's more a question of what Ill get money wise. Some may be reliable but not strong some may be strong but have heating issues ect. Looking at cost options.
So for the laser...

What you want is a Wicked Lasers Arctic. It's one of the most high quality, well priced, and all around reliable 1W-3.5W blue lasers out there. And made by a very trustworthy company.
That's a joke btw :)

Leaving the fact that I just caused most of the people reading this thread to have a stroke, what is your price range? If you are dead set on the high powered laser being high quality and reliable, you're gonna need to spend a decent bit more.

Last edited:

Swyvel

No problem man, I'm used to lightning fast texting platforms as well. :) I was just giving you a heads up because the other members really appreciate it. I mean who likes a messy forum? :) No harm done.

So far the laser...

What you want is a Wicked Lasers Arctic. It's one of the most high quality, well priced, and all around reliable 1W-3.5W blue lasers out there. And made by a very trustworthy company.
That's a joke btw :)

Leaving the fact that I just caused most of the people reading this thread to have a stroke, what is your price range? If you are dead set on the high powered laser being high quality and reliable, you're gonna need to spend a decent bit more.
Cash probably a hundred tops. If a site takes PayPal credit then more. I'm thinking that sanwu 3 pack might be most economical also learning discipline. I already have experience with and own firearms so I put safety on a high list. I was reading some lasers may put out dangerous infrared light that your goggles may not block. Theres 3000 watt one sanwu but dunno if safe. May have someone help me build a laser instead but may be fun to order a premade as well. I'll have a lot more funds in January though

Last edited:

Snecho

Cash probably a hundred tops. If a site takes PayPal credit then more. I'm thinking that sanwu 3 pack might be most economical also learning discipline. I already have experience with and own firearms so I put safety on a high list. I was reading some lasers may put out dangerous infrared light that your goggles may not block. Theres 3000 watt one sanwu but dunno if safe. May have someone help me build a laser instead but may be fun to order a premade as well
Invisible IR light only leaks from 532nm green lasers unless they are higher quality which means that they have an IR filter installed. It's because it's actually an infrared diode inside that goes through a crystal to make the green color. Some of the IR leaks out this way. Lasers using this method are called DPSS (Diode Pumped Solid State) lasers. This is always true with 532nm green lasers but I think the other exotic DPSS wavelengths between 450nm-500nm blue lasers and ~589nm yellow lasers can have this.<--(members correct me if I'm wrong here) Other common lasers such as 405nm (purple), 445nm (blue), 520nm (green), and 650nm (red) are all direct diode lasers. That means the diode makes the color that the laser outputs directly, without IR or fancy crystals. That's just a bunch of extra info that you may not need, but it's useful. Just remember the overwhelming majority of 532nm greens leak IR. However, it isn't seriously dangerous because the IR light follows the same path as the visible green beam. Also taking into account that the IR is only a fraction of the actual output most of the time. For example being generous, usually not more than 20% of 532nm laser's output is IR

So with low powered green lasers, if you never hit yourself in the eye with the beam, which you should never do anyway, you'll be safe from the IR light. Personally, I would say if you are in a controlled environment with a 532nm laser 100mW or under, say a room with absolutely nothing reflective whatsoever and practicing safe techniques, you don't need laser glasses anyway. GENERALLY SPEAKING.

But if you have a 500mW+ green 532nm laser leaking IR, that's a lot of infrared going through your goggles not rated for it on a direct hit. Just stuff to think about.

Members, if I'm wrong or left anything out, please feel free to correct me. :)

Speaking of goggles, it depends which lasers you end up getting. Only then can I suggest a good pair for you.

So anyway, I'm assuming you can pay with a Credit or Debit card?

My personal suggestion would be to go with the Sanwu 3 pack as they are already metered, guaranteed to work, and come from a very reputable company with great customer service. At only for about $15 dollars more than what it would cost to buy the same type of laser 303s from eBay.

Speaking of which, eBay can be a great place to buy those 303 lasers. Yes they are unmetered, but it is generally known what power the different colors are. And yes you can get a dud, but from my experience, the Chinese sellers, even the ones shipping from the US, are pretty willing to send you free lasers and refunds if you complain about it lol. 😀

P.S.- Maybe I missed it, but what is your location? Putting your location in your profile will immensely help people help you. :)

Last edited:

Swyvel

Invisible IR light only leaks from 532nm green lasers unless they are higher quality which means that they have an IR filter installed. It's because it's actually an 808nm IR diode inside that goes through a crystal to make the green color. Some of the IR leaks out this way. Lasers using this method are called DPSS (Direct Pumped Solid State) lasers. This is always true with 532nm green lasers but I think the other exotic DPSS wavelengths between 450nm-500nm blue lasers and ~589nm yellow lasers can have this.<--(members correct me if I'm wrong here) Other common lasers such as 405nm (purple), 445nm (blue), 520nm (green), and 650nm (red) are all direct diode lasers. That means the diode makes the color that the laser outputs directly, without IR or fancy crystals. That's just a bunch of extra info that you may not need, but it's useful. Just remember the overwhelming majority of 532nm greens leak IR. However, it isn't seriously dangerous because the IR light follows the same path as the visible green beam. Also taking into account that the IR is only a fraction of the actual output most of the time. For example being generous, usually 20%-30% of 532nm laser's output is IR

So with low powered green lasers, if you never hit yourself in the eye with the beam, which you should never do anyway, you'll be safe from the IR light. Personally, I would say if you are in a controlled environment with a 532nm laser 100mW or under, say a room with absolutely nothing reflective whatsoever and practicing safe techniques, you don't need laser glasses anyway. GENERALLY SPEAKING.

But if you have a 500mW+ green 532nm laser leaking IR, that's a lot of infrared going through your goggles not rated for it. Just stuff to think about.

Member, if I'm wrong or left anything out, please feel free to correct me.

Speaking of goggles, it depends which lasers you end up getting. Only then can I suggest a good pair for you.

So anyway, I'm assuming you can pay with a Credit or Debit card?

My personal suggestion would be to go with the Sanwu 3 pack as they are already metered, guaranteed to work, and come from a very reputable company with great customer service. At only for about $15 dollars more than would it would cost to buy the same type of laser 303s from eBay.

Speaking of which, eBay can be a great place to buy those 303 lasers. Yes they are unmetered, but it is generally known what power the different colors are. And yes you can get a dud, but from my experience, the Chinese sellers, even the ones shipping from the US, are pretty willing to send you free lasers and refunds if you complain about it lol. 😀

P.S.- Maybe I missed it, but what is your location? Putting your location in your profile will immensely help people help you. :)
I'm in west Texas and added :). Oh looking at some site called laserpointerstore and showing 140 for 3 weaker red violet and green and one 3 watt blue one and goggles for each color. Seems too good to be true haha. I might get some cheap stuff here since they replace if if I complain. The goggles I doubt i wanna skimp on

Snecho

I'm in west Texas and added :). Oh looking at some site called laserpointerstore and showing 140 for 3 weaker red violet and green and one 3 watt blue one and goggles for each color. Seems too good to be true haha. I might get some cheap stuff here since they replace if if I complain. The goggles I doubt i wanna skimp on
I was thinking about suggesting laserpointerstore.com but looks like you beat me to it lol. The best stuff there is their Thor series. Everything else I would seriously question the quality of. I still think you should go with the Sanwu pack, it is a solid choice to start off with. If you happen to want more info on the Thors, I can do that too. :)

Also, make sure to email Sanwu and ask if the 3 pack is ready to ship fine if you're going that route.

Oh and yeah, you should definately check out @hakzaw1. He is based in Texas and is very adamant about meeting people in person. He is very friendly and can measure any laser for you.

Last edited:

Snecho

One correction. DPSS stands for Diode Pumped Solid State, not Direct. And typically the amount of IR leaking out, which is in the 1064nm range, is no more than 20%.
Edited. Thanks Paul!

This is always true with 532nm green lasers but I think the other exotic DPSS wavelengths between 450nm-500nm blue lasers and ~589nm yellow lasers can have this.<--(members correct me if I'm wrong here)

Yes. Most of the common DPSS wavelengths you'll see around LPF such as 473, 589 or 593.5 all depend on IR light to generate the final output. When compared to a 532 however they require a much stronger IR pump diode to generate equal power output, due to a less efficient process.

If anyone would like further interesting reading, it is also possible to achieve
404 from direct doubling of an 808 pump diode, although much more costly than a 405 laser. :)

-Alex