Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Newb needs help

Swyvel

So I'm new and have a few questions. Is sanwu a good site? They seem affordable. Any sites into paypal? Also main thing I need help deciding on is should I get a three pack of lasers that has 80 mw green, 100 mw red and 150 me blue for 45 as newb or a one 3 watt blue laser for 100. Violet is favorite color but on pricier end. Both from sanwu. I'm wanting soemthing thats visible in broad daylight wanting a nice sci fi lightsaber piercing sky effect. Need advice

Last edited:

Encap

None of those create a beam that is visible in broad daylight nor does any reasonably affordable hand held laser--- you would need a several Watts of 532nm green for that. Only in your imagination is what you want possible for low $s and portable/hand held.

Suggest you get a laser 301 on eBay for $6 to 10 dollars to gain some experience and knowledge of actual lasers.
The 532nm green ones run 50 to 100mW output and would be the most visible--whatever output you get is what it is --is random.
Sanwu is the same thing just output metered.

Last edited:

Swyvel

None of those create a beam that is visible in broad daylight nor does any reasonably affordable hand held laser--- you would need a several Watts of 532nm green for that. Only in your imagination is what you want possible for low $s and portable/hand held.

Suggest you get a laser 301 on eBay for $6 to 10 dollars to gain some experience and knowledge of actual lasers.
The 532nm green ones run 50 to 100mW output and would be the most visible--whatever output you get is what it is --is random.
Sanwu is the same thing just output metered.
It wont let me post links but heres a pic of a combo. Would this be ok if I'm mainly wanting cool looking beams and burning stuff. One is violet/purple as opposed to blue and love violet more than blue lol. Oh Ebay lasers seem sketchy

Aside from the 3 pack combination the other alternative on sanwu for budget fun I'm looking at is the 1600 or 3000 mw blue laser for 80 to 100 dollars

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191101-185301_Messenger.jpg
    Screenshot_20191101-185301_Messenger.jpg
    436.5 KB · Views: 8

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
It wont let me post links but heres a pic of a combo. Would this be ok if I'm mainly wanting cool looking beams and burning stuff. One is violet/purple as opposed to blue and love violet more than blue lol. Oh Ebay lasers seem sketchy

Those three would be a nice laser "starter" kit, but none of those three are going to "burn stuff", and while the 405nm violet is beautiful, it is on the edge of the visible part of the spectrum, and you generally won't see it except in the dark or with fog.
As Encap mentioned, the 532nm would be the most visible.

Swyvel

Those three would be a nice laser "starter" kit, but none of those three are going to "burn stuff", and while the 405nm violet is beautiful, it is on the edge of the visible part of the spectrum, and you generally won't see it except in the dark or with fog.
So this blue one would probably be most bang for buck? And what sites take PayPal? And wheres cheapest tested safe goggles at? Thanks I'm advance

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191101-193834_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20191101-193834_Chrome.jpg
    309.9 KB · Views: 3

Encap

Exactly.

Swyvel: Your imagination/imaginings are not the real world of lasers.
Really an eBay Laser 301 532nm for $6 to $10 is best bet to gain at least some understanding/knowledge of what an actual laser is and does before you spend more. The Sanwu 3 pack are the exact same low cost low end mass produced laser as a Laser301 Sanwu doesn't make any of them they just test the output + eBay uses Pay Pal and has a money back guarantee"

Bang for the buck is all relative in several ways depending upon several factors and right now you have no way to evaluate/judge what bang for the buck to you is as it requires knowledge and experience that you lack.. It all depemds upon what aspects are most important or important generally to you and what aspects are not and how that interfaces/lines up what is possible in actual real world.

re: "burning stuff"
A laser beam has no temperature - there is no inherent "temperature" to a laser beam. Heat is the random motion of matter particles (atomic or molecular particles). A laser beam itself is not made of matter but of photons, which have no mass, thus a laser beam can have no temperature. "Heat" is caused by a laser beams energy being absorbed by a materials surface and turning light energy into heat energy.
For burning stuff you would be many times much better off with a box of kitchen matches than any laser you you are considering

re: "visibility" 532nm green is the most visible .
Keep in mind that 405nm is very weak visually and difficult to focus on as well being at the edge of visibility-----at same output power-- 445nm blue is 10X brighter visually than 405nm---532nm green is 100X brighter visually than 405nm-- meaning a 10mW 532nm is the same brightness as a 1000mW 405nm
A 100mW 532nm is as bright visually as a 1W 445nm blue.

Last edited:
Good advice.
Beams are 'seen' easier when viewed from in front of the laser or from the laser point of view.
Beams are harder to see when viewed from the 'sides'. AND less visible, of course , in 'clean' air.

IMHO the most dangerous is the 405nm sometimes called purple.
I call them blacklights on crack.
They make GITD and dayglow items 'pop'.
And the GITD items glow much longer.

405nm is always more powerful than it looks.

Its beam is always the 'smallest' and thus more concentrated in power.. just 3$ Pen Pointer is quite dangerous and should NEVER EVER given to any youngsters to 'play' with.. aside from low power cat lasers NONE should be considered as toys.
SO it is safer to consider NO lasers as 'toys' Even the button cell keychain red lasers.

If dogs could talk they would tell you that they are NOT enjoying chasing something they will NEVER catch...cats I have found are not bothered by not ever catching the dot.

I am always irked by posts that often start
' I was playing with my laser when....'
Playing??? WTH.
Does one play with a pistol??? even a 22 cal 'short' pistol? (these are smaller than regular size 22 cal.

Do us all a favor and do NOT post about these things~!~~ WE do NOT and CANNOT give medical advice--plz do not ask.

If you ask me--
''Would this be ok if I'm mainly wanting cool looking beams and burning stuff. One is violet/purple as opposed to blue and love violet more than blue lol. Oh Ebay lasers seem sketchy .

imho the OP is the sketchy one.

re-read the replies you got... but slower.

Really the only difference between these Sanwu lasers and a much cheaper $3.00 laser is the metering. I have purchased items, lenses, from Sanwu, but would not buy a laser from them. But, I build most of my lasers, so you would likely do just as well for under $10.00 for those same 650nm, 532nm and 405nm lasers on eBay. They are the SAME lasers Sanwu sells for more.

Swyvel

Really the only difference between these Sanwu lasers and a much cheaper $3.00 laser is the metering. I have purchased items, lenses, from Sanwu, but would not buy a laser from them. But, I build most of my lasers, so you would likely do just as well for under $10.00 for those same 650nm, 532nm and 405nm lasers on eBay. They are the SAME lasers Sanwu sells for more.
Mind posting a seller on ebay thats reputable and affordable? And also I want to make sure I use goggles and get them as reliable as possible

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
This is just one of many ebay sellers that are selling these 301/303 style, 3 pack lasers.

These are as about as affordable as you're going to get, and from what I've found from buying these 3 pack 301/303 lasers myself, is that most of these sellers are fairly reputable.

Swyvel

Yeah ebay is sketchy. Describes the product as blue and then green. Wrong wavelengths. I'm hesitant I know Ebay has buyer protection but I dont have time ti send back items. Also might get a laser monitor to measure the power eventually but for now just mainly getting a laser or 2 and some goggles

Snecho

Yeah ebay is sketchy. Describes the product as blue and then green. Wrong wavelengths. I'm hesitant I know Ebay has buyer protection but I dont have time ti send back items. Also might get a laser monitor to measure the power eventually but for now just mainly getting a laser or 2 and some goggles
...ok so, what kind of laser would you like Swyvel?

Hi, Swyvel,
Building your own is quite simple , just have to solder two wires together and apply heat shrink tubing to the solder joint.
As Hap stated DTR have many choices for modules set up already . You then will only need a host prewired.Some pics to get the idea.
Rich;)508E33B4-2CCC-4767-B0E1-035E79561D02_1_105_c.jpeg0E523E34-7E06-48E3-AA09-9C667D04A456_1_105_c.jpeg95747860-3056-4949-B2A0-56D373DCA723_1_105_c.jpeg4AFF4C01-BC4F-4D1D-AED2-763277746725_1_105_c.jpeg