Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

New WL 445nm Spyder....irresponsible?

Irresponsible?

• Yes

Votes: 50 45.0%
  • No

Votes: 61 55.0%

• Total voters

Razako

Well, depending on where you're shot, you could be patched up. But if you're blind, you're f***ed :p
Yeah but it all goes back to the earlier debates about using lasers for self defense and most agreed that it would be horrible for a few reasons.
-It would be incredibly hard to accurately hit the target in the eyes in the panic of the moment.
-Assuming that these things have so-so divergence it probably wouldn't cause any permanent damage at a certain range.
-If you're going to attack someone with a weapon at least use a proper weapon.

Every year police officers are shot, stabbed, run over, beaten and occasionally have unpleasant things thrown at them. They have a lot more to worry about than extremely rare laser attacks.

cmak

Well, depending on where you're shot, you could be patched up. But if you're blind, you're f***ed :p

Yeah but it all goes back to the earlier debates about using lasers for self defense and most agreed that it would be horrible for a few reasons.
-It would be incredibly hard to accurately hit the target in the eyes in the panic of the moment.
-Assuming that these things have so-so divergence it probably wouldn't cause any permanent damage at a certain range.
-If you're going to attack someone with a weapon at least use a proper weapon.

Every year police officers are shot, stabbed, run over, beaten and occasionally have unpleasant things thrown at them. They have a lot more to worry about than extremely rare laser attacks.
At 1W, this thing could have TERRIBLE divergence and still flashblind or cause mild-to-moderate eye damage at quite a distance, and terrible divergence would make it even better for a criminal in a situation like this because the chances of hitting their target (in this case, the police officer's poor oculus :() is exponentially greater.

Then again, just pointing it at a nearby surface can already be flashblinding just to look at at this level of brightness :eek:

-Chris

p.s. Point 3 :crackup:

Razako

At 1W, this thing could have TERRIBLE divergence and still flashblind or cause mild-to-moderate eye damage at quite a distance, and terrible divergence would make it even better for a criminal in a situation like this because the chances of hitting their target (in this case, the police officer's poor oculus :() is exponentially greater.

Then again, just pointing it at a nearby surface can already be flashblinding just to look at at this level of brightness :eek:

-Chris

p.s. Point 3 :crackup:
Hey I'm not trying to say that this laser would be harmless if used as a weapon. I'm just saying that doesn't even come close to what a criminal could do with a gun and criminals can get guns easily in the us. Also as I've said before a cop can legally shoot you if you try to lase him. If you're going to shoot something at a cop you'd best be prepared to go all the way.

Exerd

I just wanted to say that I believe Intel is very irresponsible for producing the continuously more powerful computer chips that they are. They are making it too easy for hackers to harness the power, and I think those chips should cost thousands of dollars so that everyone's information is safe. Once they cost thousands of dollars, only us rich, responsible, smart people will be able to compute in a law-abiding manner, and I will finally feel safe again out there on the dangerous net.

:D

cmak

I just wanted to say that I believe Intel is very irresponsible for producing the continuously more powerful computer chips that they are. They are making it too easy for hackers to harness the power, and I think those chips should cost thousands of dollars so that everyone's information is safe. Once they cost thousands of dollars, only us rich, responsible, smart people will be able to compute in a law-abiding manner, and I will finally feel safe again out there on the dangerous net.

:D

Epic usage of sarcasm :bowdown:

LSRFAQ

The "safety nazi" is trying to tell you this will not be self policing when released to the general public. Aviation incidents are skyrocketing. Car incidents will be next. Regulatory backlash will thus be inbound, shortly.

You now have the attention of the NFL and World Soccer and the Airlines. Its a matter of time.

If you folks were wise, and wish to see your hobby continued, you would lobby Wicked and other manufacturers to push the price back up on this unit and restrict access.

Oh well, at 55% for, I cannot sway you to be self policing.

Good luck folks. I'm gonna do a Frothychimp. I'm outta here.

Steve

Last edited:
LOL,

So you want us to try to control the Chinese market?

Nobody, and I mean nobody, controls the Chinese market. If we refuse to buy lasers here then they will just keep selling them to others. Not every laser enthusiast in the world is on this forum.

Your motive is good, but your way of going about fixing it is flawed.

Razako

The "safety nazi" is trying to tell you this will not be self policing when released to the general public. Aviation incidents are skyrocketing. Car incidents will be next. Regulatory backlash will thus be inbound, shortly.

You now have the attention of the NFL and World Soccer and the Airlines. Its a matter of time.

If you folks were wise, and wish to see your hobby continued, you would lobby Wicked and other manufacturers to push the price back up on this unit and restrict access.

Oh well, at 55% for, I cannot sway you to be self policing.

Good luck folks. I'm gonna do a Frothychimp. I'm outta here.

Steve
What makes you think that "this" unit alone is gonna cause more damage than the units already out? There's already a $40 200mw red laser. $100 200mw greenies. 400+mw blu-rays. But somehow this 700+mw blue laser is gonna tip everything off the edge?

Most of the laser incidents involve something like an el-cheapo 30mw dealextreme laser that some idiot without a clue on laser safety bought to play around with. They think it's just like another dumb 5mw red pointer and a toy.

Anybody buying one of these from wicked for $200 is going to know the power of these things if they read the disclaimers and whatnot. Now people might buy these to be malicious, but there are always much better ways to do that. Also it's not really fair to restrict something just because criminals "might" abuse it to cause harm. Shall we restrict baseball bats next because you can beat someone to death with one? How about making bats cost $200+ so only serious baseball players will buy them. That ought to stop their use by thugs. Let's jack up the price on knives and crowbars too:undecided:

cmak

Exactly. Raising prices isn't the way to go... maybe we can all team up and create an extensive safety video that covers, in explicit detail, every possible danger and every single safety precaution necessary when dealing with lasers of various powers. We can then go around to some of the top mainstream sellers (e.g. WL, LG, DL, Opto, etc.) followed by the main chinese sellers (e.g. DX, BOB, FP, etc.), followed by the main "cheapo" sellers (e.g. SkyLasers, the likes) and contact them all with the same exact (or at least similar) email asking them to post this video as a mandatory watch next to all their lasers or upon checkout or something...

In brief, I think raising prices is definitely the worst way to go. Educating about safety is ideal.

:beer:
-Chris

Ref

In any statistical population, there will always be the <1% who might misuse something whether it be a baseball bat, golf club, gun or laser.
Should government always walk in and legislate against everyone to control the very few abusers? Why not dispose of the abusers?
Again I post about the government enforcement of the "at risk falacy" which we all now live under and all the laws which no one understands. LIVE IN FEAR, you are being watched.

HMike

This just made my day.
+1. Every single little thing that is dangerous is eventually made illegal to protect people from themselves. If someone gets one of these and hurts someone with one, lock them up...but the truth of the matter is, someone is bound to purchase one, blind someone waving around their 'light saber,' and legislation is passed overnight making possession of such a device punishable by 6 years in federal prison. An easy solution would be possesion age restrictions/licensing like firearms, but there is no mention of lasers in the 2nd amendment, so putting people in to the system will be the better deal to the law makers and law enforcement.

Last edited:
Everybody should notice people like dave, and jayrob dont participate in useless threads like this. There may in fact be a reason!
Somebody delete this crap

Giface

Everybody should notice people like dave, and jayrob dont participate in useless threads like this. There may in fact be a reason!
Somebody delete this crap

I don't think it's crap. And, postings by Dave and Jayrob don't set the basis for what is useful and what is useless (no disrespect intended).

Dave

There's nothing wrong with selling high power lasers, but packaging it as a toy? What's that all about?

null

There's nothing wrong with selling high power lasers, but packaging it as a toy? What's that all about?

What are you on about then? I don't find anything 'toyish' about the appearance or packaging of the Arctic. It's a piece of black anodized aluminum with some knurling. What have you been playing with?

What are you on about then? I don't find anything 'toyish' about the appearance or packaging of the Arctic. It's a piece of black anodized aluminum with some knurling. What have you been playing with?

The Spyder look a lot like a Star Wars Lightsaber and the
marketing imagery seems to be pushing that line too.
Or is it just me?

:lasergun: