Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

New WL 445nm Spyder....irresponsible?

Irresponsible?

• Yes

Votes: 50 45.0%
  • No

Votes: 61 55.0%

• Total voters
I have never seen such a powerful consumer laser at such a low cost, and I am sure everyone else can say the same thing. Now that lasers of this power are now in the pricerange of your local idiot, do you think it is a bad thing these lasers are so inexpensive?

Personally, I think for the sake of safety the price should be increased on it, just so it is harder for people to get (and on top of that, WL profits more too). I am all for playing with lasers, hell, I just ordered my own today, but to have these become available to people who are just looking for a relatively cheap "toy" to have fun with, I believe will have negative consequences in the future.

Read my sig, this hobby is ruinned...

Soon we will require permit, because people dont threat them like firearms.

Well, it's just MY opinion, but don't we have enough topics dicussing the same subject already ?

jbtm

I'm sorry but I'd have to say no...Why? Because its technology. Things will become cheaper as time goes, and more powerful. It's just something we have to get use to. I'm sure with guns they had this same though when the 50-cal sniper rifle was made.

No matter how we look at it things will just come down in price...It's just like the first blurays, people where freaking out saying "This hobby is ruined" now they can be obtained for around 10 bucks...And hobby looks fine.

Sure, this is 1W. But like any laser that's high power comes responsibility...This day was going to come eventually, and it just happen to come a week ago. I'd have to say no to the price being too low...

I'm sorry but I'd have to say no...Why? Because its technology. Things will become cheaper as time goes, and more powerful. It's just something we have to get use to. I'm sure with guns they had this same though when the 50-cal sniper rifle was made.

No matter how we look at it things will just come down in price...It's just like the first blurays, people where freaking out saying "This hobby is ruined" now they can be obtained for around 10 bucks...And hobby looks fine.

Sure, this is 1W. But like any laser that's high power comes responsibility...This day was going to come eventually, and it just happen to come a week ago. I'd have to say no to the price being too low...
You can build one with a glass lens for under 100$

jbtm

You can build one with a glass lens for under 100$

I paid $162 for mine to get it through jay. Either way, Technology advances. My friends dad told me he bought a 5mw laser when they first came to the market here, and it was being sold for $150. Now days you can get them for $1. go figure...My 5mw green I got when i was 6 was $98 and that was on amazon, and its a cheaply made dinky pen. :p

I should pay about 130$ total for my lasers being built.

50$ Diode PAID

Not paid yet.

23$ Boost Drive
25$ dorcy Jr.
10$ Aixiz glass lense

20-25$ for the trouble to get it made.

In any statistical population, there will always be the <1% who might misuse something whether it be a baseball bat, golf club, gun or laser.
Should government always walk in and legislate against everyone to control the very few abusers? Why not dispose of the abusers?
Again I post about the government enforcement of the "at risk falacy" which we all now live under and all the laws which no one understands. LIVE IN FEAR, you are being watched.

HMike

jbtm

You can get high velocity airsoft/bb guns for under $50...And shoot your eye out :D I know someone who did that and luckly he didn't go blind. BBs can bounce off objects with no glasses on...So can lasers. They are similar except lasers go in straight lines for long distance and blind you for sure. BB's follow the law of gravity and depending on impact speed, can blind :)

I think it is like any other dangerous item. Most people are careful but you will get the idiot that screws it up and ruins it for everyone else.

Now that lasers of this power are now in the pricerange of your local idiot,

I find that sentence very offensive actually....

So apparently if your not rich, your an idiot?

You make it sound like, if you can't afford a $1,000 laser, you must be an idiot.
Not trying to start any arguments or anything....

Anyways, its like wolfhunter9154 said... most people will be responsible, but you will always have irresponsible people that screw it up....
But that comes with anything... irresponsible people can hurt themselves or others with anything...

And like jbtm said,
Airsoft for instance.....
Or any air gun for that matter,
Back in the day you could go to the store and buy an air gun, or bb gun even if you were 15....
but as years went by, guess what? irresponsible people ruined it for others.... thats life...

I have an airsoft gun that shoots 430fps, and it only costs $200 dollars... that can easily take your eye out if your irresponsible...

Last edited:

null

I think this is a valid point. High powered red diodes can be had for the price of a dvd burner (~$25 nowadays) and have been for a long time. Same goes with the cheap Chinese greens that are all over the place. As with 405 and 445 nm diodes we are seeing now. If anything, WL is more responsible than any other seller I've seen as they provide what is in my opinion adequate documentation and warnings, and even (in the case of the Arctic) 'free' laser goggles. I don't think a 100-400 mW red/green/violet laser is substantially less dangerous than a 600-1000 mW blue either for that matter.

Its easy to get upset when we feel like our beloved hobby could be threatened, but I think some fears are just a bit overdone. Sure, lasers can be used in an irresponsible fashion. So can hundreds of other items that most or all people have cheap and easy access to. Granted, it can be a bit easier to use a laser in an irresponsible way than some dangerous items, but the thought process behind the behavior is the same.

I think the focus needs to be placed on educating people on the dangers of powerful lasers. Perhaps an entity like gizmodo or some other outlet with access to a large readership of like-minded individuals can run a story about the dangers of laser misuse with some case studies? Perhaps one of the intelligent and thoughtful individuals here can approach them with the suggestion and information?

I think it is our duty as the informed and interested to be proactive and thereby ensure the safety of our hobby as well as that of those around us.

I for one am tired of seeing threads like this. You are not going to be able to do anything about it, and nothing is really going to change in the long run. At the most, we will all just have to build the things ourselves.

Just sit back and watch, I have a feeling nothing will change. Kids have had access to lasers capable of burning for awhile now.

MMH ----

I have purchased much more powerful lasers from ebay. 15 to 40 WATT CO2, 40 Watt 808 modules etc. There always will be something bigger and better out there.
Who do YOU want to decide what I can own?
HMike

In any statistical population, there will always be the <1% who might misuse something whether it be a baseball bat, golf club, gun or laser.
Should government always walk in and legislate against everyone to control the very few abusers? Why not dispose of the abusers?
Again I post about the government enforcement of the "at risk falacy" which we all now live under and all the laws which no one understands. LIVE IN FEAR, you are being watched.

HMike

This just made my day.