Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

new user reporting in

Thanks guys!

May I ask what brought you here?

The amazing mad scientist styropyro mentioned this forum at some point.

But, I've always been fascinated with lasers since seeing the movie Real Genius as a kid. Was lucky enough to get a HeNe from an uncle that ran a discotheque, as they were wont to call them then, but blew the power supply combining tube current and ground with an errant screwdriver... I think I was about 12.

Now, I'm fascinated with the diode tech advancements.
Am starting with these books:

Haiyin Sun
A Practical Guide to Handling Laser Diode Beams (SpringerBriefs in Physics)
2nd Edition

Haiyin Sun
Laser Diode Beam Basics, Manipulations and Characterizations (SpringerBriefs in Physics)
2,012 Edition

Last edited:

diachi

Welcome! :beer:

Welcome. A few general questions:

Marital status, birth certificate, religious preference and political outlook or affiliations? Parents names, siblings of the same or opposite s.e.x. still living? Education, current employer, recent photo, phone number? Age, s3x, height weight, and general body type. Any communicable diseases, how long has it been since your last flu shot? I have PM'd the document to you, please provide all information and FAX to me.

Note: All other information moot to us if you simply indicate you like lasers, but it is nice to know where you are in the world and your hobby interests.

Man, that's a pretty detailed document! Couldn't you at least use e-mail? Fax is obsolete! :D :crackup:

Yea, but if you are forced to FAX something, you have to work for it, have to either get the software to convert or find a machine somewhere, far more difficult.

diachi

Yea, but if you are forced to FAX something, you have to work for it, have to either get the software to convert or find a machine somewhere, far more difficult.

I just want fax machines to die already, that way I don't need to deal with them anymore when they break. :p

Welcome to LPF you will find a good deal of information here enjoy and be safe

Rich:)

Used to be a pain, not anymore.
Now there's services like https://faxzero.com and a dozen others of varying quality/annoyance.

---------------------------------

I posted this in the ebay finds thread, but figure I'll ask here too:

Am looking at buying two of:

IPG Photonics 970nm 60W-100W Laser Diode Integrated Collimator, Reinforced Fiber

for $1700 each. Worth it? Overpriced?

Figure they'd maybe be good for a future ytterbium pumped something...

Last edited:

Encap

Used to be a pain, not anymore.
Now there's services like https://faxzero.com and a dozen others of varying quality/annoyance.

---------------------------------

I posted this in the ebay finds thread, but figure I'll ask here too:

Am looking at buying two of:

IPG Photonics 970nm 60W-100W Laser Diode Integrated Collimator, Reinforced Fiber

for $1700 each. Worth it? Overpriced?

Figure they'd maybe be good for a future ytterbium pumped something...

Nobody on LPF plays with those sort of toys--no interest in building industrial machines .

$2149 for someone's decommissioned old junked industrial machine 970nm invisible and very dangerous output level laser?

Could be worth it if you have a real purpose/actual use that requires it and not enough money for a new replacement or have money to burn on laser curiosities, it might be worth it. Anyone that has a machine that requires that buys new ones after X hours for obvious reasons, I would guess--like can marking business people.

If just a hobby thing you might want to check out low cost new 445nm engraving heads OPTLasers makes here: https://optlasers.com/en/34-engraving-laser-heads

Last edited:
:wave: Welcome to the Forum Chris...
Enjoy your stay and be Laser Safe.

Jerry