Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

New toy in the lab.. 850mJ Nd:YAG w/532nm, 266nm, 213nm Harmonic generators

Just took delivery of this bad boy today 😁. Quantel Q-Smart 850

Some of the specs:
850mJ/pulse @ 1064nm
430mJ/pulse @ 532nm
100mJ/pulse @ 266nm
213nm/pulse @ 213nm
5ns pulse duration, 10Hz rep rate, 0.5mrad divergence, 9mm beam diameter63485

Oh, that's something (not that specific one, but 1064-532 ND:YAG) I've been looking for, cool.

355nm is the third harmonic of 1064nm.

Yes and 266nm is the 4th while 213nm is the 5th the 5th requiring an additional BBO crystal and the mixing of the 2nd and 3rd harmonic radiation but the video said that no additional crystal is needed for the 3rd harmonic generation of 355nm which is interesting.

Last edited:
That was why I brought it up. I thought it strange that you didn't mention it too.

I understand what they were saying now @ 3:40 in the video, ( there's no need to buy 2 sets of crystals ) for high output at 532 and 355........apparently there used to be a low output and high output ? I thought they meant somehow they were getting both from one crystal which didn't make sense.

Yes and 266nm is the 4th while 213nm is the 5th the 5th requiring an additional BBO crystal and the mixing of the 2nd and 3rd harmonic radiation but the video said that no additional crystal is needed for the 3rd harmonic generation of 355nm which is interesting.

In this system, 5th harmonic requires the mixing of the 2nd and 4th harmonics

Arctos

Looks like a neat bit of kit, love how it's a simple bolt on.

LSRFAQ

3H is sum frequency mixing of 1064 with 532. First crystal converts 1064 to 532 while being detuned or beam split to pass some 1064. Second crystal mixes them to produce a modest amount of 355. If the crystals are cut at the correct orientation, it is quite easy to get 355 going, once you have the green conversion well tuned and efficient.

266 on the other hand is difficult to get right. In most systems the crystal used is sensitive to adsorption heating by the 266 generated, and the crystal is both temperature and angle tuned. For the systems I worked on, it was adjust the crystal, wait 20 minutes, adjust the crystal, wait 20 minutes and so forth, so about an hour later I had stable 266 conversion provided I did not adjust the flashlamp energy or the pulse width. If the experiment required a change in delivered power level, well, lather, rinse, repeat...

Hopefully this laser has that automated.

The OP needs to order a OPO Next, dial a color, pumped by the 355 nm light, is very fun. We had something like 420 to 2500 nm tunable with 1.5 nm steps, from the OPO... I loved installing the OPOs, they are surprisingly simple to build if you have a lot of 355 nm pulsed power to pump them, two crystals on stepper motors and four mirrors and a beam splitter... Hey, guess that wavelength, was fun... If you work with enough visible laser lines, your eye gets pretty good at GTW...

Pulsed, unfocused, 355 eats crystalline materials, laser housing paint, and fold mirrors, and business cards, and black absorbers, and woe betide you if it hits a signal or power cable. The 266, despite having far more energetic photons, not so much.

Be careful with these strong, short pulses, eye damage is easy. Watch the corneas with the UV, you do not want your corneas to turn white..

You have enough power there to do air breakdown if there is dust in the air, and to microcrack the glass in lenses if the focus gets too tight. Be careful.

Steve

Last edited:
3H is sum frequency mixing of 1064 with 532. First crystal converts 1064 to 532 while being detuned or beam split to pass some 1064. Second crystal mixes them to produce a modest amount of 355. If the crystals are cut at the correct orientation, it is quite easy to get 355 going, once you have the green conversion well tuned and efficient.

266 on the other hand is difficult to get right. In most systems the crystal used is sensitive to adsorption heating by the 266 generated, and the crystal is both temperature and angle tuned. For the systems I worked on, it was adjust the crystal, wait 20 minutes, adjust the crystal, wait 20 minutes and so forth, so about an hour later I had stable 266 conversion provided I did not adjust the flashlamp energy or the pulse width. If the experiment required a change in delivered power level, well, lather, rinse, repeat...

Hopefully this laser has that automated.

The OP needs to order a OPO Next, dial a color, pumped by the 355 nm light, is very fun. We had something like 420 to 2500 nm tunable with 1.5 nm steps, from the OPO... I loved installing the OPOs, they are surprisingly simple to build if you have a lot of 355 nm pulsed power to pump them, two crystals on stepper motors and four mirrors and a beam splitter... Hey, guess that wavelength, was fun... If you work with enough visible laser lines, your eye gets pretty good at GTW...

Pulsed, unfocused, 355 eats crystalline materials, laser housing paint, and fold mirrors, and business cards, and black absorbers, and woe betide you if it hits a signal or power cable. The 266, despite having far more energetic photons, not so much.

Be careful with these strong, short pulses, eye damage is easy. Watch the corneas with the UV, you do not want your corneas to turn white..

You have enough power there to do air breakdown if there is dust in the air, and to microcrack the glass in lenses if the focus gets too tight. Be careful.

Steve

This system makes everything super easy, literally bolt on the harmonic generator and press a button on the controller for automatic phase matching.

I'm well aware of the hazards of these short wavelengths. Most of the projects our company works on involve lasers so we're all very well trained in safety :p

LIOB is pretty cool to see when combined with a microlens array.. looks like a floating hologram

Looks very nice. What sort of experiments are you doing with it?

We are developing several different devices in the dermatology/aesthetics space