Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

New to the forum, old to the lasers

Hello everyone. Nevermind my name, It was either this, or "Breadmaster" I've made my choice.... Heh.

I am SO glad I stumbled onto this site, I've been looking everywhere onto where to get a bright, high powered laser in a portable pen size, with with all the internet scams going on (Which is everyday anyway), I don't know if a 400 dollar laser pointer is really just a 5mw red piece of junk until I actually recieve the internet order to my house. I decided to look fomr some sort of "laser pointer review" and I came here! Thank god.

So I've been interested in lasers for 12 years, and been researching them for 5 years and have 3 5mw laser pointers myself. With the upgrade of technology, I didn't really have any idea there CAN be a laser that's powerful enough to burn skin, but be pen-sized (and be legally owned), until a year ago.

I've read the beginner stickies, read how lasers work, read how to "Build your own burning laser, in the size of a mini mag-light flashlight" and such And learned quite a bit. I've learned so much that I DO NOT wanna "try this at home" for my own safety, as well as laser-safety-goggles (Although maybe a "DIY" burning laser, in the size of a XL Maglight, powered by 4 D batteries might spark my interest)

I do however have a few "newbie" question:

I've been looking forward to buying a 200mw, maybe 300mw laser pointer: But I don't know which EXACT sites to rely on, I've heard of a few like o-like, and two others (recommended here, by the veterans) And the prices of these pointers are fantastic. I may have come to a typical red 200mw laser pointer like 180~200mW Red laser/ adjustable foucus£*>5~200mw Red laser pointer£*>Laser&lighting products£*>www.0-like.com

But does anyone have a reviews about these, or THIS laser pointer?

I know there's pointers that can burn really well, but the "dot" or brightness is minimal, or non-existant. And I know there's pointers where the "dot" or brightness can light up a room, but have no burning capabilities.

So basically I'm looking for a pen-sized pointer that can burn things, maybe even light my tobacco pipe, AND be bright enough to point at the stars. If green burns better than red, then green it is (or vise-versa). I'm hoping less than 200 dollars is sufficient for my interests. I know I'm like the 100th person to ask about this exact subject, but during my lurking I've found posts years ago. Technology and times change, so I'm asking it again. Any suggestions?

(Sorry for the LONG introduction)

I thought we were advised NOT to buy laser pointers from Wickedlasers.com?

I still like the 200mw one on o-like.com cause it's like 50 bucks, I just want to make sure that it can burn well, AND can light up a night sky. Anyone have a review on o-like lasers?

You can also look at the RayFoss site... similar to O-Like and
also inexpensive and good customer service...

Jerry

I thought we were advised NOT to buy laser pointers from Wickedlasers.com?

I still like the 200mw one on o-like.com cause it's like 50 bucks, I just want to make sure that it can burn well, AND can light up a night sky. Anyone have a review on o-like lasers?

Well you can get a pretty good beam for night pointing out of a cheap ebay greenie for $10, they are often way overspec, all my 5mW ebay greens are about 35mW. As far as a cheap burner, the O-like "Dilda" (the one you're looking at) is a great choice. It's a red so the beam isn't all that visible, but it burns very well. My advise is that for pointing in the night sky use a green. For a cheap burner get the Dilda.

Sorry John but I have a very different experence of O-like than you !

@ Vic Welcome to the forum :wave:
It's only a good deal if you don't have to return it !
Pyro...

nope thier units have been excellent that is a hellova good deal

Last edited:

Asherz

It's always nice to meet someone who does some research before he posts! :D

O-like is a good site, I have heard of Rayfoss being similar but I have no personal experience with them :)

You can't really go wrong with the red 200mW dilda from O-like, generally they are good lasers, combined with O-likes quality checks it should be a great deal :)

As for your regards about some lasers being able to burn but not be visible, that's just to the wavelength.

Visible wavelengths range from 405nm up to around 700nm, 405nm is violet and from blu-ray drives and tend to burn very well, especially skin :D

Green is the most visible wavelength and will light up your room :)

To sort of summarize, an o-like focusable red will be a great burner, but the dawback is less beam visibility. For star pointing and the like, get a green for the visibility, a 50mW will star-point, but won't be a burner. Green has the best visibility. You've probably heard of blurays, these are excellent burners, better than red, but even less beam visibility. Great for fluorescence effects. It sounds really like you need two lasers, the 200mW focusable red for burning and a green for star-pointing. You could well buy both and wind up spending less than $100.

Thank you everyone so much for all your informative posts:

Does that really what it comes down to, "two laser pointers"? I was hoping a Burning laser AND can light up a room/night sky would be possible into one laser pointer. Perhaps I haven't done enough research to find out why my interest in a bright laser that can ALSO burn well isn't enough for me to understand.

Well if green is a nice visual effect, then I'll get green. I hear lots of good things from Blue lasers, albeit expensive.

I'm guessing a bright beam that can ALSO burn well would be expensive to buy? Either that or get a cheap laser pointer that's bright, then ANOTHER laser pointer that can burn....

Hm.... If that's true, then I'm going to have a tough decision to make: Two cheap ones that work well, or one single one that's expensive but does what I need.

Any more opinions/suggestions?

A powerful green from say Optotronics or another high end supplier would be an all-in-one answer for you. Green lasers get quite costly, however, as you move up in power. Only a few sellers, known to this forum, seem to deliver quality on high power greens.
If you want 400+mW of high quality, stable, bright, burning green, be prepared to invest $$$ ... Look over the reviews and green laser sections for other members successes and disappointments.