Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

new to scanners

Not too shabby... Where'd you come up with the filters? I could use a few of them..

Last edited:

or if you wanna get them before the year is over.....
FRYS.com

or go in locally and they have a little more to choose from. and good selection on some very quiet fans

thanks Josh for the tips. yeah I could see how the computer case base would get out of alignment.. I'll get an aluminum plate to mount everything to then mount that inside the case.

and I had thought about getting that stronger green w/ TEC but decided against it due to the power output being too much (yeah I know this thought is crazy, but I'll be scanning at parties and want to keep the laser somewhat safe incase a reflection or something where to hit a person's eye)

Eventually this scanner will be for a DJ @ Parties so mobility and plug and play are key. I'm going to make a duplicate for myself though as well :) hopefully can pay for my own by selling the first one

thanks,
Kendall

if i made a rgv scanner with the red and violet being analog and the green being ttl would i be able to get the full range of colours.

To get the "full range" aka "white" you would need RGB, RGV gives a close match but not perfect. With the green being TTL you wouldn't be able to get the correct color match. all of your colors would have too much green in them.

To get the "full range" aka "white" you would need RGB, RGV gives a close match but not perfect. With the green being TTL you wouldn't be able to get the correct color match. all of your colors would have too much green in them.

is TTL like having a digital input? like 100 different possibilities where as analog is infinite possibilities for input?

also, how does one get analog lasers? is there special drivers?

TTL allows for 7 possible color combinations, just like the 7-color handhelds that have been going around here..

You need to request analog modulation from the laser manufacturer or buy a laser that specifically says it is analog. usually analog modulation will cost a bit extra, but an RGB system with analog modulation and the right DAC and software is capable of 16.7 million color hues. It is a feature of the driver, yes.

is TTL like having a digital input? like 100 different possibilities where as analog is infinite possibilities for input?

Actually its the exact opposite:

Analog modulation

An analog signal is used to control the intensity of the output beam. This signal is usually a voltage in the range of 0V to 5V. With an RGB laser and analog modulation you have, with an 8 bit system, 16.7 million colours at your disposal.

TTL Modulation
TTL modulation indicates that the laser does not support analog modulation of the output but only ON / OFF control. With an RGB laser and TTL blanking you have seven colours at your disposal. Red, Green, Blue, Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, White.

Last edited:
Actually its the exact opposite:

Analog modulation

An analog signal is used to control the intensity of the output beam. This signal is usually a voltage in the range of 0V to 5V. With an RGB laser and analog modulation you have, with an 8 bit system, 16.7 million colours at your disposal.

TTL Modulation
TTL modulation indicates that the laser does not support analog modulation of the output but only ON / OFF control. With an RGB laser and TTL blanking you have seven colours at your disposal. Red, Green, Blue, Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, White.

I see. TTL = extreme digital, only 0 or 1.

thanks for the clarification... i wish i would have known then before buying a TTL greenie from o-like.
-kendall

Is it possible to power and control a TTL green laser and Analog red and Analog violet lasers?

I'm not sure yet where the power for the lasers comes from but I assume one of the amps for the galvos will have a 5V power connection that I can use for the lasers as well as the galvos. And the control will come from the USB sound card w/ DrLava's amp, aka DAC.

thanks for any help,
Kendall

Why must the green be TTL.. Depending on the power of the laser you might be able to use a FlexMod on it instead of the driver you're using now..