Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

New to lasers, need some advice.

MrDoo

I went to a music festival a month or so ago, it was a 3 day long camping event.  My camping neighbors had a green laser pointer, he was not sure what kind, it did actually say "laserpointer" on the clip.  Anyway, I was doing some... um... er... "mind expansion" exercises, and that laser just blew my mind, they let me use it for the whole weekend, I barely put it down.  I waved it back and forth over camp fire smoke for "liquid sky", my chin was on the floor for like 2 hours.

So I want to get one for more um... er... "mind expansion".  What I want to do with it:

1) Just wave it around and let it bounce/reflect off things.  I want a very visible beam (at night).

2) Would like to make liquid-sky/time-tunnel with it.  Is there a lens or attachment that I can do this with (not too expensive).  Is there a power requirement for these features, recommended brightness to pull the trick off?

3) Everyone present will not be wearing safety gear,  while I am not stupid enough to point it in anyone's eyes, I don't want anyone going blind if they catch a quick glimpse of a reflection.  So highest power that I can get without insta-blinding someone.

4) I want continuous burn, not one that needs cycled for cooling.

5) This will be for visuals only, no burning wanted.

Want some input on what brand to get and what power.

siop

if you dont want to have to worry about eye wear, i would recommend below 5mW. Anything above deff needs goggles.

MrDoo

Safety is my #1 concern, so it looks like it will be a 5mw.

I searched for "laser pointer" brand pointers and the biggest I found was 5mw, so I am pretty sure the one that I saw was a 5mw.

Will 5mw be bright enough for "liquid sky" and "time tunnel", or will it appear very dim?

Who makes a quality 5mw green laser?  Price isn't important, want something bright, with good build quality.

Switch

Ok, this is BS....I had quite an elaborate post in this thread, that I made....about 30 minutes ago....what happened to it? :-/

MrDoo

It is probably in the "Green Laser" section, I posted the same question there.

Switch

MrDoo said:
It is probably in the "Green Laser" section, I posted the same question there.
Oh yes I see now....I thought my post got deleted.But you don't have to post the same thread twice. :p

5mW will with a fog machine. I would say 30mW, that is if you are absolutely sure you won't hit someone's eye... You can see the beam well and that's the highest you can get without eye damage from looking at the dot, although you still shouldn't stare at it... If you live in the U.S., look at this:

http://www.novalasers.com/NOVAstore/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=3&idproduct=83

If you live elsewhere, look at one of the 30mW Romisen lasers on Dealextreme.com

Note that the X series isn't totally legal to import, but they do guarantee the laser's arrival so if it gets cofiscated they'll replace it.

Kenom

So, you should just basically say "while stoned."   Ya gotta love that mixture.  Alcohol or drugs and lasers.  See responsible laser usage usually can only happen when your 100% cognizant.  Adding something in the mix that affects your judgement (and don't give me that BS about it not affecting anything. I used drugs while I was younger) is just a bad idea.  This is how you get lasers in the limelight by doing stupid stunts (shining it on a plane or helicopter) while stoned or drunk.  Lasers and drugs mix wonderful as long as it's not in your possession.  Stay with the rave light show that your not in control of.  If however you want to use it when sober and can be responsible (although the choice to use drugs lends to not making good choices ultimately), stick with 5mw.

You can get a 5mw green at radio shack for around $45

Aint it nice to know you won't be doing any mind freeing excercises at my house. I hate to be the downer in the party but if your going to be a laser owner, ya gotta make healthy choices.

MrDoo

no Kenom, not talking about stoned or drunk, for damn sure will not be spotting planes. The fact that I am here asking for safety advice instead of just buying a 100mw and calling it good, is proof that I am at least at a basic level of intelegence, and shows that I am genuinely concerned with my safety as well as the safety of those around me. I thought I made it pretty clear what I had planned for the laser. Since you missed it here it is again:

-Night time use, would like to see the beam, there will be camp fires around so there will be "fog" or smoke.

-Would like to make "liquid sky" or a "time tunnel" effect, want the laser bright enough to do this.

-Maybe do some stuff with crystals or glass, letting it reflect/refract off of stuff.

Obviously there are other people around, and I do not want someone watching to catch a stray beam (myself included) and get insta-blinded. So my question was what power can I go up to without fear of getting insta-blinded, and what brand of pointer would you pros recommend in that power range. keeping in mind I want one without "100 on/ 20 off" cycle time and one that doesn't fade to 25% brightness in 10 minutes of use.

So far I have heard 5mw to 30 mw.

I wanted one with some level of quality, so a walmart/radio shack one is probably not what I was looking for.

Sorry to hear about your past drug problem Kenom, glad that you are better now though. ;)

Stick with 5mw. Ask around and see if you can find somebody with a 5mw pointer and a liquid sky machine to help you see if that will be bright enough for you.
If you want quality, you may NOT want to go with DX.
I reccomend the WL Core if you find out that 5mw is bright enough for what you want to do.

MrDoo

I was looking at the CORE from WL, up until I read the FAQ stickied on this forum, have you had good luck with WL? Says on the FAQ here that WL is a less than reputable supplier, another set I was looking at was the Galileo and Lyra series from laser glow.

I really liked the looks of the Galileo for the fact that it has a heat sink which makes me feel better about leaving it on for two hours at a time and more confident that its output will not fade after 10 minutes. The only downside I see to the Galileo is that it isn't a "standard" size, so the accessories that I want to use like a tunnel gun and lens sets will not fit. I guess that I could just machine an adapter.

bestofferbuy.com

30mw green laser for $25, comes in about 2 weeks from hong kong to usa.

don't forget to bring lots of batteries :)

Mohrenberg said:
bestofferbuy.com

30mw green laser for $25, comes in about 2 weeks from hong kong to usa.

don't forget to bring lots of batteries :)
Which is not eye safe, and can not be left on indefinitely.
The Core is really the only good laser product they make, but I would recommend the Galileo. (Or a Lyra, if you're so inclined.)

MrDoo

Thanks, guys.  Off of several suggestions, I ordered the galileo for my personal use, pointing at things, reflecting/refracting off of stuff.  Am really liking the laserglow products as so many threads here have mentioned they do a good job holding their output (i.e. not a 200mw that is really only 80mw after 6 minutes.)

Am looking at building a battery operated liquid sky scanner based off of guides here.  It will be self contained inside of an old metal tool box.  Will probably go with a 30mw green laser in it as it will be positioned in such a way that no one will be able to look directly at the beam, nor will the beam be able to be accidentally reflected at anyone.

well i would say start off powerful with like a 50mw if u dont want to start out that powerful get a 30mw and work ur way up