Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

New terrorist weapon, should we be worried ???

D

Deleted member 8382

The single fact of using the term "binary explosives" talks by itself. Binary explosives are a large family of explosives and they are nothing new. However, whoever that posted that fake, sure accomplished his purpose:

That is scary. If a terrorist made a gallon of it in their backyard, Thats scary. That does scare me thinking about it.

The thing is, there are so many ways that terrorists could strike, like poisoning the water supply or detonating bombs in mass transit stations, that there's no way to protect yourself from all possible attacks, unless you stay home and hide under your bed. If we do that, then the terrorists have won. All we can do is take reasonable precautions and recognize that there are always risks in life.

I've blown up a lot of stuff in my day. As a former soldier who worked with explosives, in my opinion it's BS. C4 has a detonation velocity in excess of 26000 ft/s and cannot create the same effect with the same amount. C'mon there's nothing special about a binary explosive. Grab a bag of nitrate fertilizer and some fuel oil and viola, instant binary explosive.

I was the OP for this thread, & merely posted it to show just ONE simple way that
terrorists can accomplish their wildest dreams. I don't have any way to prove or disprove, if the video I linked is true or not, just that the threat is there at all is bad enough. As LuxI posted, we just have to accept the fact that there ARE fanatics of ALL types out there, but we all just can't cower at home, under our beds. As LuxI said "Then the terrorists win !" We just have to go about our daily lives as normally as possible, but with a fish-eye open for anything out of the ordinary that could be a potential threat. What a F*****-UP world we live in now. rob

Benm

That is scary. If a terrorist made a gallon of it in their backyard, Thats scary. That does scare me thinking about it.

Well, if i detonated a gallon of good old nitroglycerine in your backyard, you'd probably be scared too. Even if you were on holiday when it went off, it would be very scary to find your house suddenly absent and replaced by an odd shaped pond ;p

This video is fake BTW, the explosion is superimposed. Maybe something like octanitrocubane could do that, but it is not available in that amount. And binary explosive doesn't mean anything special, if you want a binary explosive buy some tannerite.

All you'd have to do is buy an RC TX and RX at a hobby store, get an RC relay, couple of batteries plus an Estes model rocket igniter. You don't even need to know how to solder LOL!

You need a detonator (not ignitor), but same basic idea.

Amazing how much crap spews out of some peoples mouths.

I think you're right Phoenix about something like this being a threat.
The Government isn't stupid. It knows about these things. You get some idiot on here saying that "If a terrorist wants to fuck you up, he will, regardless of how many scanners he is supposed to go across before getting into the plane."... what utter crap.

Damien

I guess I'm not that impressed. Explosives in my mind will not be the preferred weapon of terror in the future. Big bangs get old.

Amazing how much crap spews out of some peoples mouths.

I think you're right Phoenix about something like this being a threat.
The Government isn't stupid. It knows about these things. You get some idiot on here saying that "If a terrorist wants to fuck you up, he will, regardless of how many scanners he is supposed to go across before getting into the plane."... what utter crap.

What are you spewing....

After the 911 attack... with the added and heightened security at
the US airports... some moronic terrorist got past many scanners and
got on board a plane... then stupidly set himself on fire because his
bomb didn't go off as well as he planned...

It was because he had a dud that that plane didn't become another
statistic... and not because of how many scanners were in his path...
The scanners missed their target...

You can never be TOO careful (within reason)... IMO

Jerry

D

Deleted member 8382

Of course. More scanners, more difficult. But it will never be impossible, so what I said is also true. Maybe I should edit the post and write "if terrorists" instead "if a terrorist", you get me?

I think that the whole thing boils down to (as a comparison) "The Arms Race". As the terrorists come up with new weapons, the U.S.A. as well as other countries will develop new ways to detect &/or stop them. Just like during the "Cold War." The then U.S.S.R. built missiles of a specific range & destructive capacity, & the U.S.A. countered by making missiles with LONGER ranges & MORE destructive capabilities. This deadly game continued with each side trying to "BETTER" the other side. We only have GOD to thank that the "COLD WAR" ended as it did, & we can only pray that this "WAR AGAINST TERROR" ends the same way. IDK, just MY $00.02. rob

HIMNL9

Well, about terrorists and scanners, let me only say that, all considered, we're lucky ..... i don't have any intention to offend anyone, just to make all you think about a very simple pair of facts .....

First one, there's always a possibility that a good chimical worker mix a decent basic alite explosive, and this, at least til now, is not detectable from explosive sniffers (for the simple reason that it don't contain the same chemical substances that the scanners detects :D) ..... we're lucky that suicidal terrorists are, usually, not so good at chemistry :p ..... but, anyway, it's still just a bomb .....

The second reason for which all us are lucky, imho, is that so-called suicidal terrorists don't want to make a massacre, just want to make a show, when they blow-up something ..... a demonstration, something that draw public attention ..... and for this, they choose bombs (and 98% of the explosives can be detected, so there's a possibility to stop them, and this is what i mean about "we're lucky" :p) .....

A real suicidal terrorist that want to do a real massacre, don't use bombs or explosives ..... have you already considered that there is more than one virus available on black market ? ..... i just imagine a common aerobic variation of something like Marburg, Ebola, Lassa, Congo, Hanta (just for cite a pair of them :p) ..... do you imagine what can happens if, just as example, some terrorists take a colture, self-inject it, then go around all the country ..... no need to use airports, just railways are enough ..... depending of how much peoples the carrier can meet in stations, trains, public places, and so on, and the fact that also the countaged peoples become carriers few time after the countage, and that, being all peoples that travel, more or less, they contribute to diffuse the countage ..... having already done some studies about the diffusion of the viruses, i can easily imagine the results, and THIS can scare me ..... not a terrorist with a bomb .....

A terrorist with a bomb can kill 100 or 200 peoples in a market or in an airplane ..... with a well chosen virus, 4 or 5 terrorists can kill from 15.000 to 40.000 peoples, before the "sanity machine" can isolate the virus, find a vaccine, distribute it, find all the peoples countaged, and cure all them ..... now, say me what terrorist scare you more, the loudy one with the bomb, or the silent ones with the virus ? .....

Of course. More scanners, more difficult. But it will never be impossible, so what I said is also true. Maybe I should edit the post and write "if terrorists" instead "if a terrorist", you get me?
Albert it seems you are responding to a specific post... but I'm not sure
which one...:thinking:
There is no name as to who you are addressing...:p

Jerry

D

Deleted member 8382

@jerry: This about using "you" in the wrong place is killing me. I didn't want to respond to any specific post, but to everyone. I was taught by Dave to use "one" instead of "you" in sentences like "you can buy this laser there" so that it's aimed at everyone, but I have no idea on how to do this on this sentence. "Do you all get me" maybe?

@Himnl9: Exactly my point. Thanks for spending the time I didn't had hehe

Sorry for the language problems, I'm doing my best :D