Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

new survival 1.4w. Is this "splash" normal?

So i just got my new 1.4w survival laser with the stainless steel host and copper upgrades. I noticed there is light being shown from the lens on the far outter edge of the dot. Its not really "splash" because around the point itself its pretty clean except the far outside edges. I'm just wondering if this normal of these kinda of lasers.

Here is a pic.

Attachments

• laser.jpg
    laser.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 208
  • 0524120716[1].JPG
    0524120716[1].JPG
    38.9 KB · Views: 225
Whats with the ring on the far edges? :thinking:

None of my 445 lasers look like that.

Last edited:

Blord

They are from the internal refection of the lens barrel. Not every glass lens assembly comes from the same factory. I noticed that Garod lens has a little more rings in the very outer field than other vendors lenses. The dot is very crisp with this lens.

Last edited:

DTR

Yep if is look like this ( - ) the wings are from as Blord said internal reflections as the three element lenses cut off some of the bar of light and a bit of that light is bouncing off the lens barrel. This is pretty common.

The best multi element lens I have found is the half threaded one from O-Like but it is half threaded and a pain if you want a focus ring as you would have to glue it on.:beer:

405/450nm laser coated collimation lens /glass [OL-405L] - $7.39 : Zen Cart!, The Art of E-commerce

Yep if is look like this ( - ) the wings are from as Blord said internal reflections as the three element lenses cut off some of the bar of light and a bit of that light is bouncing off the lens barrel. This is pretty common.

The best multi element lens I have found is the half threaded one from O-Like but it is half threaded and a pain if you want a focus ring as you would have to glue it on.:beer:

405/450nm laser coated collimation lens /glass [OL-405L] - $7.39 : Zen Cart!, The Art of E-commerce

You can also do this mod.:D

http://laserpointerforums.com/f42/h...ded-lens-use-focusing-ring-no-glue-62379.html

:beer:

DTR

Those half threaded from Aixzi are the same as the full threaded but in a half threaded nut so they have the same splash. If you get them you might as well just get the full threaded.

The O-Like 445 half threaded lens is a completely different lens. They are way better. I can't find mine right now but I don't think they come apart like that. If I remember correctly they don't come apart at all.:beer:

Those half threaded from Aixzi are the same as the full threaded but in a half threaded nut so they have the same splash. If you get them you might as well just get the full threaded.

The O-Like 445 half threaded lens is a completely different lens. They are way better. I can't find mine right now but I don't think they come apart like that. If I remember correctly they don't come apart at all.:beer:

They Do.:) I have done it with many O-Like ones Aswell.:) THe Ones I had most recent have a little White glue on the threading that is very easy to break.:) Maybe i will add it to the Thread....

Also I have done it with the lens nuts that comes with the O-Ring on them.:beer:

The O-Like lens do give the best Clean Dot as well as the ones with the O-Ring.

DTR

They Do.:) I have done it with many O-Like ones Aswell.:) THe Ones I had most recent have a little White glue on the threading that is very easy to break.:) Maybe i will add it to the Thread....

Also I have done it with the lens nuts that comes with the O-Ring on them.:beer:

The O-Like lens do give the best Clean Dot as well as the ones with the O-Ring.

I have never remembered taking one apart but yes they have much less splash and they even pass more power. They are very very slightly more divergent than the three element lenses. Here see this thread I did a while back.

O-Like glass lens vs Aixiz glass lens vs 405-G-1 lens

Oh and yes I am talking about the ones with the O-ring right beneath the threads.
13070194020.jpg

Last edited:
Are those lenses like the original 405 lenses AiXiZ used to sell? I think they were single element, but I'm not sure.

If they are better lenses why are we using AixiZ lenses?

DTR

Don't know about anyone else selling them and I am not sure of how many element are in the unit. Definitely more than one based on the level of correction they provide.

I see them used quite often over @ PL but they don't care about focus rings as they set them in the projectors to a fixed focus.

The reasons I can think of that we don't see them used here is they are half threaded, the only source I know of is O-Like which can take up to a month to get and even if you can flip the lens elements around every time you open the unit you risk getting contaminates on the lens elements. In simple they can be a pain in the ass for pointers.:beer:

Last edited:
Don't know about anyone else selling them and I am not sure of how many element are in the unit. Definitely more than one based on the level of correction they provide.

I see them used quite often over @ PL but they don't care about focus rings as they set them in the projectors to a fixed focus.

The reasons I can think of that we don't see them used here is they are half threaded, the only source I know of is O-Like which can take up to a month to get and even if you can flip the lens elements around every time you open the unit you risk getting contaminates on the lens elements. In simple they can be a pain in the ass for pointers.:beer:

Exactly.

THe Better dot doesn't not Just come from the Optics. It also comes from the lens Nut. Dont ask me How. I have taken the Optics out of the O Like one and put it in an Aixiz full thread nut and its not the same results.

Oh and Mark they are 3 elements in the O-Like however the 2 lens that are usually bonded together with lens cement in the normal Full threaded lens we use now are not in the O-Like. THe Older Aixiz lens nuts where also not bonded together. There is Also a Different Coating on the O-Like.

Also I have had New Lens with Only 2 elements that are Half Threaded as well. I dont like these. There is Lots of Splash.

IMO the best lens out in the 3 element style is the ones with the O ring and then there is another one that people use over at PL its called like Len 41 or something like that. Though again they are Half threaded.

Using Half Thread Lenses i Really not all that hard. Even if you dont want to flip the lenses around and do the mod. 90% of the people that get lasers now use custom focus adapters. It will be very easy to make a press fit focus adapter Rather then a threaded focus adapter to hold the Half Threaded lens nuts securely.:) Ive done it. There is Many ways to get around it and use a Half threaded lens nut.

Its just not convenient as a full threaded lens nut.

Thanks for the info.

I guess I'm lucky. I've owned 3 high power 445s with the AiXiZ 3 element lenses and never had any splash, or artifacts outside of the dot.