Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

New Show Software, "Get Laser Show" By Riya and Illumination Supply

LSRFAQ

Copied from my Thread on That Other Forum.....

Illumination Supply in connection with RIYA Lasers LTD offered me a Sample of their New Product for review. I usually don't do reviews, but this product, in my opinion, rated a exception.

Disclaimer: I have no connection to the product other then getting to keep my sample device:

What it is:

1. A USB DAC, A new version of Riya Multibus Lite, with new chipset.
2. Get Laser Show Pro Software, A timeline editor.
3. 41 Sample Beamshows* and one Demo Graphics Show. Five "Live Shows" configured for real time control.

* Some are Multiple Scan Head Versions of the Same Show.

Installation time: Under 3 minutes on a fast laptop with Win 7 64 Bit after downloading ZIP file.

Cost, ~ 150 USD and Shipping.

Software:

Real Time and PIC Edit, It is a LDS Derivative which RIYA bought/licensed.

Dongle:. Output device is the Dongle. Show Editing Software runs without Device attached on my reviewed version.

File Types: PIC, CAT , .RTD (RealTime Document)
ILDA Import: Type Zero only at this Time. Other ILDA file types expected shortly.
ILDA Export: Disabled.
TRACKS: 128 in Show Editor
Scan Heads: Up to FOUR output devices are available.

Color: Uses LDS style Palettes, ILDA Palette and two others included, 64 Color Palette plus fading. User can create own Palette and Palette transfers with show file.

Backward Compatibility with Older Riya Products: Firmware upgrade may be required for Older devices.

Hardware works with LSX/Zoof Etc: Yes with some new files copied over to the directory.

Real Time Control: Mouse/Midi In using keys assigned to an existing show. As well as 40 cue "touch screen" real time controller with sliders. (DMX, unknown at this time)

3D Editing, Yes.

3D PIC Frame editor, YES.

Real Time Preview: Yes with Graphics and Simulated Fog Scattering.

Programmable Beam Safety Zones: Yes

File Export, Export your own shows as created, file is RTD format, security using serial number is available.

Interlock: Pins 11 and 17 are shorted inside the Dongle, a Kvant and a RGB Systems projector both instantly recognized the ILDA connection

Granularity: Hours, Minutes, Seconds, Frames (A frame is a 30th of a second)

Scrolling Text: Yes, One line in real time. Also available as a effect in the timeline.

Printed Manual: None

Electronic Manual: Two Word Documents.

Abstract Generator: One type

Expression Evaluator: Yes, Evaluates expressions in the Show Editor.

Sound Support: MP3, AVI, WAV, CD.

FFT/Audio Waveform viewing: Uses Winamp as a plug-in.

Sound /Mouse/ Joystick/ Keyboard applied to effects in real time, Yes...

Max Scan Speed (Software Limit) 30 Kpps.

Drive for Beamtables and External Effects: Not with the "Lite" DAC.

DMX In/Out: NO

SMPTE TIMECODE IN: YES with third party hardware.

Autotrace: No

Onionskinning, Rotoscoping, or Import object to trace manually: NO

Bitmap Imports to scan as Raster: Yes.(Developmental)

Impressions: The price point is wonderful for what it does. I was impressed. My first encounter with this, we hooked it straight to a 21 watt RGB Kvant on a show site, and things worked right off the bat. The Palette restriction is not that bad, and more then enough demo shows are included to learn from. I tested the ILDA import with several files, and it works well. Software installation is painless, and there is no wait to get a serial number. I'd recommend a faster laptop for initial use. I saw no stuttering, the graphics output is smooth.... For the version I have, you can edit without the output device attached, which is very nice. Flying back from the show, I edited content on the plane. This drew a few odd looks from my seatmates, but it was nice to edit without a Dongle. The expression editor is there, and it works. This is really a full featured show editor with all the bells and whistles. The SMPTE time code input opens possibilities for experimenters.

This will bury the need for "Sound Card Dac" once and for all. There will be no reason to tolerate a poor quality laser show when this is available.

Its similar to all Laser Design Studio Derivatives, including LSX(tm)* This is very close to Lennart Wietzke's original product.

Depressions: The time line editor needs work to add/ improve drop and drag functionality with a three button mouse. I could best achieve what I wanted by clicking the timeline to add a event and then editing the start and end times by inputting the time code on the keyboard. Maybe I'm missing something, but that portion is "clunky". This just means it takes a bit longer to edit a show if need be. It is not a "showstopper".

If the laptop freezes, the last frame is output and the laser does not go out, that could be worrisome with a audience scanning situation .... I did not have any freeze ups from GLS, but I did crash the laptop to see what would happen.

Without the ability to load a logo as a PNG or Bitmap to manually trace, a lot of club users will be at a disadvantage.

ADVICE: Beginners should take a screen shot (CNTRL + Printscreen, then paste in "Paint") of the scanner settings when it the software arrives, there are many options in the scan adjust menu. It would be fairly easy to change timing and not have a way to get back to defaults.

.................................................. .................................................

Would I buy, YES, and this will make a terrific backup package as well. When the DAC fits in your pocket, there are serious advantages...

Output quality was what you'd expect from a RIYA Dac, very solid and repeatable with no Jitter...

This is maximum "Bang for the Buck" for the cost, and has the basics, Graphics Editor, Timeline Editor, Real Time control.

LINK TO DEMO AND SALES SITES: www.getlasershow.com

http://www.illumn.com/other-products/riya-gls-usb-dac-w.html

Steve

Last edited:

MMMMMMmmmmm ????? MMMMMMMMmmmmm After just having been inspired....COMPLETELY....by the previous thread.....as presented by Swamidog......I am wondering....can this " User friendly " software....do what Swamidog did with the LSX software ???????

NOW....I have yet to dive very deep into the LSX software....which I have.....but....as I understand it...LSX takes some time to master.

If THIS software....can do something like what Swamidog did...to those members ...possibly wanting to expand and fulfill their " Luv Of Light ".....consider this direction.

I have " NO HORSE " in this race....as to which software to get....and....I have NOT tried this software.....but boy....GOOD PRICE !!!....

I am a person....a " cross-over ....from both the projector group and the HH group
...and think both areas are great !!!!!....

think of GLS as a stripped down version of LSX.

it is a great bargain, but not capable of producing the shows that i make with LSX.

while LSX and GLS (and Phoenix) and based from the same source code, LSX has a number of features added that are missing in GLS.

most of my abstracts use the svob/gebhardt lissajous creator and post color/intensity modulation events that do not exist in GLS.

MMMMMMmmmmm ????? MMMMMMMMmmmmm After just having been inspired....COMPLETELY....by the previous thread.....as presented by Swamidog......I am wondering....can this " User friendly " software....do what Swamidog did with the LSX software ???????

NOW....I have yet to dive very deep into the LSX software....which I have.....but....as I understand it...LSX takes some time to master.

If THIS software....can do something like what Swamidog did...to those members ...possibly wanting to expand and fulfill their " Luv Of Light ".....consider this direction.

I have " NO HORSE " in this race....as to which software to get....and....I have NOT tried this software.....but boy....GOOD PRICE !!!....

I am a person....a " cross-over ....from both the projector group and the HH group
...and think both areas are great !!!!!....

LSRFAQ

QUOTE: "most of my abstracts use the svob/gebhardt lissajous" generator.

Respectfully to Swami, I must disagree a bit in the terminology...
I would not call it "stripped", I'd call it basic or core. Considering the alternative in this price range is IShow, this is worlds apart in capability.

I'm the one that asked the creator of LSX to add the S/G code. As I knew both gentleman, Swob and Gephardt.

Svob's code is the core abstract code from LFI Player freeware.

Given time, GLS will improve. Riya will have to listen to its customers, just like other vendors.

Quoting Illumination Supply, this software is intended to " Be a stepping stone for beginners". Allowing them to learn enough to step up to LSX, Phoenix, or even Beyond.

There is a expression editor, and while it lacks LSX's extensive extensions, it is quite capable.

Again, openly designed to be a very capable beginner's version.

One can do a heck of a lot with this package.

Screen shots are attached.

Steve

Attachments

• GLSscreenshot1A.png
    GLSscreenshot1A.png
    152.5 KB · Views: 754
  • GLSscreenshot2A.png
    GLSscreenshot2A.png
    106.8 KB · Views: 229
  • GLSscreenshot3.png
    GLSscreenshot3.png
    342 KB · Views: 245
  • GLS-Events5.png
    GLS-Events5.png
    164.2 KB · Views: 298
  • GLSscreenshot4.png
    GLSscreenshot4.png
    558.5 KB · Views: 434
Last edited:
oh, i absolutely agree it's an incredible bang for the buck.

my point was you can not make swami style shows with it right now because I take advantage of some LSX specific features. if those features are added, then all bets are off.

GLS is a very worthy package, don't get me wrong. it is not as feature rich as LSX, but it is cheaper.

QUOTE: "most of my abstracts use the svob/gebhardt lissajous" generator.

Respectfully to Swami, I must disagree a bit in the terminology...
I would not call it "stripped", I'd call it basic or core. Considering the alternative in this price range is IShow, this is worlds apart in capability.

I'm the one that asked the creator of LSX to add the S/G code. As I knew both gentleman, Swob and Gephardt.

Svob's code is the core abstract code from LFI Player freeware.

Given time, GLS will improve. Riya will have to listen to its customers, just like other vendors.

Quoting Illumination Supply, this software is intended to " Be a stepping stone for beginners". Allowing them to learn enough to step up to LSX, Phoenix, or even Beyond.

There is a expression editor, and while it lacks LSX's extensive extensions, it is quite capable.

Again, openly designed to be a very capable beginner's version.

One can do a heck of a lot with this package.

Screen shots are attached.

Steve

Well...Indeed...reading what these two fine gentlemen just posted....is like watching the " Gods of Olympia"....duke it out a little !!!

Perhaps....I should put on my " Big Boy Pants".....and really dig into LSX...BUT....I truly doubt I could achieve anywhere near the artistic level of Swamidog.....His work is just amazing....to me !!!!

So....What is the take away here ??? GLS....in it's current iteration cannot do what LSX does....BUT....is a great intro software....and will likely evolve....and evolve quickly.

LSX is what Swamidog uses....is what allows him to create his wonderful shows...costs a little more....and does more.....and is likely somewhat more difficult to master.

IMNSHO...BOTH software are a GREAT VALUE....And....anything that allows our group....to expand their horizon's....to continue and possibly expand their passion for coherent light....is a very good thing....Thanx to both of you !!!

How is that for walk'in....a FINE line !!!HAHAHAHA :san::san::san:

i don't know that i would assume GLS is easier to use. i have spent only a small amount of time with GLS, but the interface and show construction methodology seems very similar.

LSX has more elegant approach to manipulate event length on the time line (stretching/shrinking by dragging with the mouse instead of manually entering time codes).

i think the icons and default color scheme is a little nicer in GLS.

both work by dragging frames/animations/events to the timeline and adding effects to manipulate them. both look and act very similar.

i would not think of GLS as a stepping stone to learn LSX. i would think of GLS as the app to buy if i couldn't afford LSX.

whatever you do, avoid ishow like the plague.

Well...Indeed...reading what these two fine gentlemen just posted....is like watching the " Gods of Olympia"....duke it out a little !!!

Perhaps....I should put on my " Big Boy Pants".....and really dig into LSX...BUT....I truly doubt I could achieve anywhere near the artistic level of Swamidog.....His work is just amazing....to me !!!!

So....What is the take away here ??? GLS....in it's current iteration cannot do what LSX does....BUT....is a great intro software....and will likely evolve....and evolve quickly.

LSX is what Swamidog uses....is what allows him to create his wonderful shows...costs a little more....and does more.....and is likely somewhat more difficult to master.

IMNSHO...BOTH software are a GREAT VALUE....And....anything that allows our group....to expand their horizon's....to continue and possibly expand their passion for coherent light....is a very good thing....Thanx to both of you !!!

How is that for walk'in....a FINE line !!!HAHAHAHA :san::san::san:

As I said over on PL I've wanted to get my PJ out again and have some fun with it but I need a better DAC than the one I bought off of PL. Any word when this will be available?

LSRFAQ

As I said over on PL I've wanted to get my PJ out again and have some fun with it but I need a better DAC than the one I bought off of PL. Any word when this will be available?

I talked to Craig on Friday about the product. Illumination Supply has ~60 units in stock right now. Its not on the web site yet, they still are adjusting a few small details. I'd call and ask, I'd bet you can place the order.

Web site is: Illumn.com - Flashlights, Batteries, Carry Gear, Intelligent LED Lighting, and More!

Steve

Last edited:
I looked on their site after you posted the other day and couldn't find it. I can't order it until the end of the month anyways so if it doesn't go up for a bit that's cool.

LSRFAQ

I looked on their site after you posted the other day and couldn't find it. I can't order it until the end of the month anyways so if it doesn't go up for a bit that's cool.

I'd still call, when your ready, even if its not on the net.

Steve

csshih

Hi All!

We'll have the product along with a announcement thread up later this evening. Sorry for the delay!

Craig

Awesome! Since it likely wouldn't get here before I leave next week I'm going to wait until I get back from vacation to order one.

Really great- more options are good- I wonder if the on-going sale at pangolin was timed for this- for price of BEYOND & FB3 you get free Akai APC 40 and skin for it.

-- something was needed badly to keep others from wasting $$ on I-Show -

hak