Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

New member in Colorado..

Stingray615

Hi, my name's Ken, I'm a retired U.S. Navy, Viet-Nam era veteran, (Seabee), I'm pleased to be here and hope to make some new friends and learn about lasers. I know very little about them, except for the obvious safety issues with them. I have many hobbies, electronics, computers, photography, drones, carpentry, metalworking, firearms ... just too many to list. I moderate for a Facebook page for Colorado photography, with about 60k members. I live about 1.5 hrs west of Colorado Springs, in the mountains. I'd like to get a kit or two, and start there with lasers, but I have a bit more to learn first :)

Welcome to the forum, glad to see you join. You must be pretty old to be a Viet-Nam vet.... (I'm one too, but era, as I never went there). I would like to end up in Colorado Springs someday, lots of SATCOM jobs there which is what I do in my career, presently supporting the military in Qatar as a civilian.

Stingray615

Welcome to the forum, glad to see you join. You must be pretty old to be a Viet-Nam vet.... (I'm one too, but era, as I never went there). I would like to end up in Colorado Springs someday, lots of SATCOM jobs there which is what I do in my career, presently supporting the military in Qatar as a civilian.
I'm 'Era' too.... joined in '74, the war was officially over in '75, as I'm sure you already know. Glad I didn't have to go.

I barely made that qualification though, joined the US Coast Guard days before that era ended. Alrhough technically a vet of that era, I'd never wear a hat indicating it for having been in CG boot camp just before ending, but saying so on a resume or discussion here etc. isn’t at all the same to me. Yep, I’m a Vietnam era vet, the youngest you may find as I joined the Coast Guard at the age of 17.

Last edited:
Welcome to the LPF, Ken. I've lived in Colorado for years mainly in the Denver area, but have been to the Springs many times. Used to take my daughter there to the zoo. Glad to have you here.

Stingray615

I may have appeared to make a statement in my last post I did not intend to mean, just now saw it, so edited my last post.
Thanks, I appreciate that :) I'm the same as you, I won't wear or display the Viet-Nam flags on any of my stuff because I wasn't there. A lot of people wouldn't know that the 'era' is just a time period, they just assume that you served there. There are plenty of stolen valor videos on You Tube, and I believe that I read somewhere that it was legally considered freedom of speech, even though it should be a crime. Maybe you know different?

Stingray615

Welcome to the LPF, Ken. I've lived in Colorado for years mainly in the Denver area, but have been to the Springs many times. Used to take my daughter there to the zoo. Glad to have you here.
Thanks, Paul, I appreciate the welcome, I get up to Denver once in a while when I go to the VA there.