Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

New LPC Pocket Build

94Z28

I love these LPC (826,836,840) diodes I buy them in 10 packs and just use them for fun. Pushing them in on my lpm bench setups... etc

Anyway, this is a Hugsby XP1 1x AAA flashlight host (decided to go for the single, already have the 2x AAA version in a red as well) and I really like this tiny host as well. Anyone who has done pocket builds knows that there is no room for error, and it's and real PITA to make everything fit. I have a few hours in this build, not gonna say how many but I did tear down and restart once because of a FTF.. lol.

It's a LPC-826 Diode pressed into a brass 12mm module. Using the G2 lens, and pushing the diode at about 380-420mA on a fresh AAA cell. The driver in the lights make perfect output, I just change the capacitor on the outputs to the same setup from my other boost driver and let it rip.. I also upgrade the wiring as their stuff is scary thin and it'll litreally tear in your hands when trying to work with it. The head of the light was taken apart, and the LED deck is drilled and machined out, then everything is put in and thermal adhesive is used to hold it there.

If your interested in DIY or need some info just ask, I'll help where I can.

Enjoy!

2cyips.jpg

2v0yk49.jpg

257eww8.jpg

2isxls6.jpg

What power output did you get at 420 mA? I'd also like to know if you have had any results using the 840s. I have several of those in my stock and am thinking of pushing them harder.

Hi,
Nice host and build i need to build some more pen types and the diodes are awesome as we'll.

Rich:)

94Z28

What power output did you get at 420 mA? I'd also like to know if you have had any results using the 840s. I have several of those in my stock and am thinking of pushing them harder.

I'll try and log some results on 840s whenever I get some free time. 420mA was max output I seen from driver on bench; didn't test it with a real AAA cell. On my astralist LPM I was getting peaks around 200mW but I'm not sure how far it's off for reds. It doesn't last long with a triple A and drops down to around 120-140mW within a few minutes.. I will be trying a 10440 soon.. probably go boom tho.

I've never pushed those 840s above 300mW personally and I believe I stop around 500-600mA. As I said my current LPM may not be the most accurate for red.. I am looking into an ophir soon.

/edit: just drove it with the 3.7v 10440 and got 300mW output from the 826 diode. Guessing it was getting full current that time.

Last edited:
Just to let you know I have an LPC-840 that is driven at 350 mA with a G2 lens that does 380+ mW. That is why I am curious. I'd like to push one even harder, but don't want to destroy it. I seriously doubt it can take over 400 mA, but I don't know. What driver are you using and how are you setting the current?

94Z28

Just to let you know I have an LPC-840 that is driven at 350 mA with a G2 lens that does 380+ mW. That is why I am curious. I'd like to push one even harder, but don't want to destroy it. I seriously doubt it can take over 400 mA, but I don't know. What driver are you using and how are you setting the current?

Haven't ran any driver on the 840 yet, only on the HP Agilent PS which seems to be a pretty clean source. I have read back and seen most of them die at or before 600mA (some are less, some are more) but I know the output is wrong on the LPM. I will run a death test as well if you want, not a big money diode.

Haven't ran any driver on the 840 yet, only on the HP Agilent PS which seems to be a pretty clean source. I have read back and seen most of them die at or before 600mA (some are less, some are more) but I know the output is wrong on the LPM. I will run a death test as well if you want, not a big money diode.

I've noticed that you can incrementally increase the current when driving it with a PS, but that doesn't mean it can take that current when it is pushed there all at once. Even soft start is less than a second to full current. What driver did you use in this build?

94Z28

I've noticed that you can incrementally increase the current when driving it with a PS, but that doesn't mean it can take that current when it is pushed there all at once. Even soft start is less than a second to full current. What driver did you use in this build?

I used the AAA boost inside the flashlights, just test current from them and let them rip. Don't run Lithium Ion on the single cell ones, but rhe two cell driver can run a single 10440.

BobMc

I love these LPC (826,836,840) diodes I buy them in 10 packs and just use them for fun. Pushing them in on my lpm bench setups... etc

Anyway, this is a Hugsby XP1 1x AAA flashlight host (decided to go for the single, already have the 2x AAA version in a red as well) and I really like this tiny host as well. Anyone who has done pocket builds knows that there is no room for error, and it's and real PITA to make everything fit. I have a few hours in this build, not gonna say how many but I did tear down and restart once because of a FTF.. lol.

It's a LPC-826 Diode pressed into a brass 12mm module. Using the G2 lens, and pushing the diode at about 380-420mA on a fresh AAA cell. The driver in the lights make perfect output, I just change the capacitor on the outputs to the same setup from my other boost driver and let it rip.. I also upgrade the wiring as their stuff is scary thin and it'll litreally tear in your hands when trying to work with it. The head of the light was taken apart, and the LED deck is drilled and machined out, then everything is put in and thermal adhesive is used to hold it there.

If your interested in DIY or need some info just ask, I'll help where I can.

Enjoy!

2cyips.jpg

2v0yk49.jpg

257eww8.jpg

2isxls6.jpg

Sweet little build. Nice looking host. :gj: The one's you built for me are still up and running great. Thanks again :thanks:

Last edited:
I used the AAA boost inside the flashlights, just test current from them and let them rip. Don't run Lithium Ion on the single cell ones, but rhe two cell driver can run a single 10440.

Oh, I guess that flashlight driver doesn't push the current very high and allows you to use it. If you do start replacing the AAAs with 10440s, you might want to recheck the current. Thanks for the information. :)

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Z, that's a very nice looking EDC size build you've got there, like the carbon fiber look on the front end.
You can't beat those LPC 826's for a nice low cost build with a beautiful red beam.
:gj:

BTW - That's a pretty optimistically rated 18650 sitting there! :D

Cool build, I've just finished an M462 pocket build. Really love the mini ones. I still have yet to own a class IV red, at the rate that I keep making blue builds I may never get to red! Some day I'm sure ;)

94Z28

I knew someone would comment on that battery! I've never used it outside of test sizing hosts and such.. I'm too afraid to even charge it. GARBAGE CELL!!

Thanks for all the comments guys I like the size of this one as well.