Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

New Limelight LEP Flashlight

Hmmmmm ??? See this......

LEP....Good !!! Focusable...good !!! Divergence 2~30 degree...typical !! Sez 700Lumen....very good...if true !! Light level selectable...good....$ 200....well...better than others !!! Anyone buy one yet ????????? CDBeam

Note 1: A Beam....by any other name....would still be as Sweet as a Beam !!! CDB

Note 2: Thought about a DIY ?? Why bother ?? Laser/Phos module from Lasertree is $ 120....then add all the other components ( Host ,455 LD, Driver, Optics,18650 cell….+ Time to design and machine) Forget about it !!….This is the way to go !!

Last edited:

Hmmmmm ??? See this......

LEP....Good !!! Focusable...good !!! Divergence 2~30 degree...typical !! Sez 700Lumen....very good...if true !! Light level selectable...good....$ 200....well...better than others !!! Anyone buy one yet ????????? CDBeam

Note 1: A Beam....by any other name....would still be as Sweet as a Beam !!! CDB

Note 2: Thought about a DIY ?? Why bother ?? Laser/Phos module from Lasertree is $ 120....then add all the other components ( Host ,455 LD, Driver, Optics,18650 cell….+ Time to design and machine) Forget about it !!….This is the way to go !!

Buhler...….Buhler.....Buhler ??? SO.....HMMM...Why'd they discontinue the Acebeam W30 ????? Parts availability ???? Lame !!!
Also...the W30, or the W10....NO provision for Focus...Flood to 3 degree.....would be good....and NO provision for output modulation !!! Would also be good !! SO...Sorry Acebeam….

Limelight has this in'da bag !!!.....I have NO doubt...In a year.....prices will be less than 50% of what they are today …..for ANY LEP Unit !!!!!….BUT....Wah, wah wah….I want it NOW !!! I wanna see Terrawatt my dog.....bite at the beam....She's a such a Beam Nut !!!! Hmmm...Does that surprise you ????

CDBeam

Last edited:
I like it but the listings appear to be hiding this is a very compact flashlight without much battery capacity. I’ve seen similar hosts used for ~20-25 dollar flashlights, possibly less, but of course those are LED.

I like it but the listings appear to be hiding this is a very compact flashlight without much battery capacity. I’ve seen similar hosts used for ~20-25 dollar flashlights, possibly less, but of course those are LED.

Yes...But is the latest and greatest LEP....2 degree...while about 35 mRad is NO laser beam...well maybe an untamed 044...But....with features such as focus from Spot to Flood and output modulation....make this an interesting option....and then...there is the unmitigated fun of watching Terrawatt the Dog try to " Bite the Beam "....HHmmm...a new acronym…." BTB " hahaha....in closing...

"The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long - and you have burned so very, very brightly, Roy."

ID this quote for a special prize....like a Major award !!! hahaHA

CDBeam

I wonder how close the laser diode is mounted to the LEP emitter ( I know it's at an angle ) and how close we could get a smaller lens.....maybe a small beam expender setup ( fixed focus ) to make a smaller tighter beam, I know we can't get any thing like a typical laser beam but maybe a 10-15mm beam with reasonable lowish divergence would be neat.

I wonder how the divergence relates to lens or mirror size for non-coherent light from a LEP? ......like tears in the rain...

Roy:

Last edited:
1) The " Tears in the Rain " quote....is ...IMNSHO....the All time Quote of Irony....EVER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2) Look...just throw a BE on this Limelight...and see whatya get....OR
3) Buy this LEP module and experiment; https://www.ebay.com/itm/Laser-Phos...ht-Headlight/174148306363?hash=item288c0c45bb
And tinker together something !!

I dunno...I am just too lazy to try the LEP module way....and really....why bother...Like I said....throw a Beam Expander on the LL unit...If it does not pan out....well...OK....you still have a nice LEP....and a BE for other projects !!! ....AND NO....I have NO connection with Limelight....BUT...they Should send me a free unit for evaluation !!! HAHAHAHA....SERIOUS, SERIOUS....For you know....we are Early Adaptors here on LPF !!!!

CDBeam

Last edited:
My magic hat is signaling to me whether coherent or non-coherent, light waves are light waves and a larger diameter collimator should reduce divergence, just that non-coherent has lots of interfering waves wiggling about messing up the purity of the beam. I just don't know if I have a loose wire causing that idea, or if I am correct or not.

Alas.... I do not know impact of a BE on a Non-coherent source........Well...Maybe I will try it out !!! Got a 1000LM torch....got a BE.....Hmmm...Will stick the BE ahead of the torch and see what happens.......I think Rays are Rays are Rays.....hmmmm...Free trial !! CDBeam

I think I found the loose wire, I'm now thinking the reason why a laser beam expander works well is in relation to the light source size and the inherent order of the waves being emitted. If the source isn't a fairly small point such as from a laser diode emitter, the expansion is fairly low and in that case the lens (or mirror) mostly acts as a light gathering focus.

I suppose it's all relative though, if the lens was large enough with a long focal length the beam would then expand enough to produce a lower divergence, just that with lasers the amount of expansion from the tiny source emitter is so great it's highly effective at reducing divergence, that and being coherent, the light can be managed like soldiers to all march in tight unison where as non-coherent light is a scrambling mess in a riot to escape every which way possible.

After a time Roy became unmanageable, that's what androids all do, as they learn more and more we eventually loose control of them so the light must be extinguished with an expiration date, but until that time comes they can burn very brightly indeed.

....Zappppp..

Last edited:
Yes, Alaskan, the same physics applies to flashlights. All else equal, a larger reflector will reduce divergence.

I'm a bit annoyed they've chosen the moniker "LEP", since that's already (sorta) been claimed by light-emitting-plasma lamps.

Well.... I keep searching Candlepowerforums for an evaluation of the Limelite unit....Nothing yet !!....Sometimes....the longer ya wait....the lower the price gets.....and sometimes....when ya wait....things get sold out !!! Always a Crap Shoot !!

For me...I think it is a marketing gimic to call these units...." White Laser Light "...IT is not Coherent....but....it is collimated and rather Beam-like....SO...it is GOOD !!....I remain on the fence...but 700 Lumin is respectable @ 2 deg Spot light spread..... Alaskan...did you not say 1 degree = 17.35mRad ??

Thanx...CDBeam

Last edited:
RC....Perfect little tool for Degree to Mrad conversion....Thanx !!! The Limelite is 2 deg divergence = 34.9 mRad !!! SO Beam like.....but not Laser Beam like !!...Ah hem....It is a " Tighty Whitie "...HAhahaha...That is what I would have named it !!

OR...Look at this little Beauty !!!!!....Small....and lotsa features !!!!!

9500 Lumen...... or a beam throw of 1000 Meters ??? Decisions....decisions !!!

MMMM.....er....ah... I want'em BOTH !!! CDBeam

Attachments

• Krumb My Hero.png
    Krumb My Hero.png
    177.9 KB · Views: 0
Want's are nearly infinite but disposable funds.......not so much.